Lot Puchasing / Renting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26newtreeguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Where do you run your business? I am currently just renting space on a large lot in a residential neighborhood. ($500/month for a little under 2 acres) I need a LEGAL space to run my business. My wife and I are looking at either purchasing a home on a large commercial lot, or just purchasing a commercial lot. What are your thoughts? It is very hard to find useable locations with a liveable house on them. We are also having problems with the town planning boards. Most require special permits for a wood lot and large trucks, and require industrial zoned land. What do you pay monthly for property? How did you make it kosher with the town? What is the zoning? Is it better to rent or purchase?

It's an ongoing problem for guys that work in the city or inner urban areas. Here in Aus, you can't legally park a heavy vehicle in a residential area for more than 1 hour unless you are working. You also cannot park it in your own yard if that is a residential area (!). Sounds rough not being able to park your truck in your own back yard, but it comes under the same laws that say you can't, for example, turn your house into a factory. Parking your trucks in your yard is considered to be an industral/commercial activity, which is something the city generally frowns on.

You can get away with it for a while, if you have understanding neighbors or live in a rough area. Most of my buddies have been fined, evicted or given notice many times over the years. I've never found a good solution, but it isn't so bad if your truck and chipper are small, and you only have one. The problem for small time operators is we generally cant afford the extra overhead, and don't need an office. A workshop would be nice though!

Some guys move out of the city. Get themselves some acreage. Works nice for firewood, but a long commute if you still work in the city.

Some guys park up in industrial zones, on the street. It's legal, but exposes you to getting your gear stolen. Better have good insurance. It's also a pain having to drive your car to your truck each morning, and your bound to leave something in the truck that you needed at home. Also brings up issues with where do you sharpen and maintain your gear etc.

Some guys make a deal with someone who has industrial land. It usually involves doing their trees for free each year, in return for being able to park in a secured car park. It's easier than you might think to find someone willing to do this, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than renting a space, but it leaves you with most of the same issues as parking on the street. I've got one buddy who parks in the local cemetary in return for doing their trees at a discount.

If you have $$$$ (I don't), then renting a workshop is pretty nice. You can't do firewood from it, but it gives you a place to park, an office, you can work on your gear on rainy days, and somewhere to sleep when you fight with the wife. Sure is a lot of money though.

If you're into firewood, you can look around and find someone with a vacant lot who is willing to go half and half. I know a couple guys doing this. It usually involves the tree guy dropping logs, the land owner splitting, and the tree guy delivering the wood. They go 50/50 on profit. These sort of arrangements always seem to come off the rails sooner or later.

Shaun

We have got our own land zoned industrial. Any other way and we couldn't do it we just make to much noise. We keep clearing back more trees as space is needed but right now I've got around two acres open and a few more left we can open. The best part is being able to dump on site. Saves you a fortune in fuel and time. The chip places haul the stuff out once we get a lot of material then we do it again.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. It is hard. We get so much work in the urban area, but can't work out of the urban area! it's a catch 22... I think we are going to look into buying, or renting to own a large parcel of industrial land. we just have to check it out with the city first. It's also frustrating that they don't know where to classify tree service, industrial or commercial depending on the town.
-carl

This is a butler building 30'x60' fully insulated with half acre of land for 1500 month good deal. What do you guys pay.

Palmer MA - 1800 Square Foot Warehouse/Contractor Bay available for lease. Less than 2 miles from Massachsuetts Turnpike (exit 8), Less than 1 mile to Route 20 (Boston Rd.) Space has 12'x14' office, ADA bathroom, Ceiling height of 14'-22'. 10'x14' Overhead door. (2) Steel passage doors. 200 Amp Three phase electrical service. Ceiling mounted fan forced propane heat. Large lit parking lot.

If you can store wood etc. outside on the ground too that's a smoking deal. It'd probably be over $2500 + month here with the building. Maybe more like $3500 if anywhere close to civilization.

Latest posts

Back