Loud Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My C51 has an exhaust cone, no muffler. It's so loud there is never any one within 30ft of me to gather firewood.

I end up having to move from one area to another so the lumpers will move in and clean up.

So.. I have sees mufflers for this model. Will it affect performance? How restrictive were mufflers in 1967.

Or... Should I just get the exhaust cone I have chromed?

Image0031.jpg

Cool old saw... My suggestion, if the saw runs good give the lumpers a pair of ear muffs... They will keep their ears warm and you can keep your loud saw...

My C51 has an exhaust cone, no muffler. It's so loud there is never any one within 30ft of me to gather firewood.

I end up having to move from one area to another so the lumpers will move in and clean up.

So.. I have sees mufflers for this model. Will it affect performance? How restrictive were mufflers in 1967.

Or... Should I just get the exhaust cone I have chromed?

LOLOL!!!!! Plugs and Muffs ehhhh!!!!!! Get it chromed!!!! What tha hey!!!

I have 4 of that style saw. The ones with the muffler run fine but Im not sure they are much quieter. Its also very hard to find a muffler that isnt broken from the pounding of the engine. Ya good ear protection needed

I have 4 of that style saw. The ones with the muffler run fine but Im not sure they are much quieter. Its also very hard to find a muffler that isnt broken from the pounding of the engine. Ya good ear protection needed

Yeah I cringe evertime I see one of those come in tha shop,,,,

Ear plugs,,, AND MUFFS!!!!! LOLOL!!!!! if you dont,,, they will rattle the earwax loose in your ears!!!!!! LOLOL!!!!

Calling that a "muffler" is generous. I can attribute Homelite's "muffler" technology to the fact my hearing is shot.

Did someone say something???? :chatter:

Nice C51. The "muffler" under the cover of this beast isn't much better then the stack you have. Maybe cause I gutted it to for maximum loudness or maybe cause its 23cc more.

And yes i have a full wrap for it but was stripping the green paint off it at the time of the pics. The green paint was an eye sore

DSC00478.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

DSC04392.jpg

My Dayton has a somewhat similar muffler. Basically it's a rectangular box with nothing inside, no spark screen, and four generous slots to direct the exhaust to the rear away from the saw. I look forward to hearing it one of these days.

Get some good hearing protection, and use the existing 'muffler.'

I have an old C-51 and that is what makes a C-51 a C-51, you can't change the stripes on a tiger. When I first ran mine it felt like bugs were crawling in myears it was so loud! Like an earlier poster suggested; use plugs and muffs and let the old girl do her thing.

Steve

I have been around some loud saws, old Homelites are near the top of the list, Remingtons seem louder, Homelite's have that hurtfull pitch to them. McCullochs don't come close to either brand. I own a Super 250 and an XL925, the Mac is mellower in sound.

Latest posts

Back