lowering device question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abidingdreams

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to the tree care industry and I have come to my first trees that is going to require official rigging equipment. Thus far the trees that I have worked on have been fairly easy to take down with nothing beneath them but now I have 3 elms over apartment buildings. I would like to purchase a port-a-wrap to lower blocks of firewood out of the trees safely. I haven't purchased this devise yet because I want to be sure that it can handle the load I will put on it. So I guess my question is how do I determine the weight of the piece falling from the tree and therefore determine if the port-a-wrap will handle said piece. I've attached a picture of one of the trees that I would use the device on. Thanks in advanceView attachment 307408

Log Weight Calculator at WOODWEB

Get a good 3/4 bull rope a block pulley and the big portawrap, gonna work for sure... if your groundman dont have a lot of experience experiment with smaller logs or with a part not over the house he`ll see how many turn he need... the portawrap will handle this tree for sure no worries cheers!

port a wrap

The metal port a wrap will not be the weak link. The hand line / bull rope will get worked hard. Also your attachment rope of the port a wrap to tree needs to be fairly stout. Your tree pic is of a ash tree by the way. Be safe.

First. Get a hard hat on. Then, before you start slingin wood on a rope, you need to get some edumacation on how all this works. If you don't have a full grasp on what you are doing, then your career will be short and painful. Get some books on advanced rigging.

Drag brush for a while, pick up what you cut. You'll learn how heavy it is really fast... Haha!

+1 on the helmet. You've only got one noggin, it's not really replaceable...

Large porta-wrap will handle the whole tree. If you have not used this device before, practice with it where there are no obstacles underneath you. Start with small pieces till you and your groundman get the feel of it. Good luck. Also, +3 on the hard hat.

thank you all for your responses and advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I have considered for great time the weights that will be generated and all the factors that go into a falling log and the rigging of it. I have my block, slings and bull rope picked out I just wanted to make sure on the portawrap. But now that I know its good to go Im ready to take down some fire wood. Also +4 on the helmet, no good excuse for not having it on.

Latest posts

Back