Lowering devices heavy/light duty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you put the winch bar in the pipe
2w1w1o4.jpg
2rmutc3.jpg

we used a homeowners sling one day that was supposedly a helicopter strap it had some knots in it, it broke while tip tied to a whole sucker tree coming off a redwood went for a ride right up to the base of the tree porta wrap flying around midline. it was a lesson on having the right stuff, all brand new as possible, inspected daily. i dont have good rigging gear right now and have been getting F-ed up even another guy got hurt because of the friction is so great on nat crotch it doesnt allow the peice to run away from the climber,..mostly mid size peices a bit too big to do by hand but not heavy enought to run against perhaps a tight crotch or rough barked host tree. i'm not worried about strenth just friction. in socal we do these stupid little jobs all the time and people are not geared up to even rope stuff, its like oh we have to rope it down i'll just cut it up small because no one knows how to run a rope and i'm going to get F-ed up by the day laborer groundie. when i was working in Albany new york it was great i'd climb cracked in half maples after a hard rain lowering everything, we would rope everything just for fun we were so good," natural crotching 90% of the time.. its hard to find guys in socal tree industry that speak english to even teach them to run a rope..i prolly need to quit working for these small company's but the bigger companies are the same, i'm working on spanish and trying to figure out what i can do to work safe, i'm hoping for a good gig soon. New York was the best so far, people appreciate tree guys. here its thousands of ballsy gardners doing tree work with day laborer climbers, tree trimming / hauling junk removal trucks everywhere with one poulan pro chainsaw and a f150, i see mexican women on the side of the road cutting up logs with a handsaw in a dress..i guess when you make 75 dollars a day and dont speak english you dont really care about learningto run a rope or be safe. i guess the thing i like most about these devices is that they take a bit of the unknown out of the equation. if i could only figure out to tie one of those auto belay rock climbing things where you let go it just lets you down slow to a tree..even with all of those devices you have to use it and know how to run a damn rope, nothing is idiot proof... jeez i got some issues..:)..

;

we used a homeowners sling one day that was supposedly a helicopter strap it had some knots in it, it broke while tip tied to a whole sucker tree coming off a redwood went for a ride right up to the base of the tree porta wrap flying around midline. it was a lesson on having the right stuff, all brand new as possible, inspected daily. i dont have good rigging gear right now and have been getting F-ed up even another guy got hurt because of the friction is so great on nat crotch it doesnt allow the peice to run away from the climber,..mostly mid size peices a bit too big to do by hand but not heavy enought to run against perhaps a tight crotch or rough barked host tree. i'm not worried about strenth just friction. in socal we do these stupid little jobs all the time and people are not geared up to even rope stuff, its like oh we have to rope it down i'll just cut it up small because no one knows how to run a rope and i'm going to get F-ed up by the day laborer groundie. when i was working in Albany new york it was great i'd climb cracked in half maples after a hard rain lowering everything, we would rope everything just for fun we were so good," natural crotching 90% of the time.. its hard to find guys in socal tree industry that speak english to even teach them to run a rope..i prolly need to quit working for these small company's but the bigger companies are the same, i'm working on spanish and trying to figure out what i can do to work safe, i'm hoping for a good gig soon. New York was the best so far, people appreciate tree guys. here its thousands of ballsy gardners doing tree work with day laborer climbers, tree trimming / hauling junk removal trucks everywhere with one poulan pro chainsaw and a f150, i see mexican women on the side of t he road cutting up logs with a handsaw in a dress..i guess when you make 75 dollars a day and dont speak english you dont really care about learningto run a rope or be safe. i guess the thing i like most about these devices is that they take a bit of the unknown out of the equation. if i could only figure out to tie one of those auto belay rock climbing things where you let go it just lets you down slow to a tree..even with all of those devices you have to use it and know how to run a damn rope, nothing is idiot proof... jeez i got some issues..:)..

;

No English and papers, no work for me. I can't afford to get hurt. Let alone tied up in some crazyness with illegals. Is what it is. Benefits of only being an employee to my wife I guess.

Jeff

I'm posting the pics, just dont steal my design. I've been using this since 2004, as it sits. I don't mind ideas, but carbon copies, drive me crazy. lolView attachment 239081

Are you anchoring your double porty to the tree using a shackle or biner attached to a sling? Attaching the sling directly to your device looks like the gussets might be unfriendly, or you might experience lowering rope vs sling contact.

Are you anchoring your double porty to the tree using a shackle or biner attached to a sling? Attaching the sling directly to your device looks like the gussets might be unfriendly, or you might experience lowering rope vs sling contact.

Shackles on slings, one each side, there are two square stock spacers to keep rope from touching sling.

great looking device

yes i made it and no
Great looking device Tom. It looks simple to use and very secure. Does it have a fairlead to keep the wraps in order? When I tested mine the first time on a test log that was hoisted up with a jeep the wraps started rolling over themselves. So I added fairleads out of 9/16ths hardened steel rod. That seemed to fix that problem...:msp_thumbup: It's nice to see guys that actually can make their own equipment and turn drawings to real life.
keep up the good work.:rock:

Back