Lowe's vs. Home Depot for chainsaw chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi folks... I'm thinking about getting some chainsaw chaps. I feel like I'd be a bit of a poseur, because I'm a newbie, but then I'm probably more likely to do something stupid and hurt myself.

I'm going to be getting a $50 gift card... I can get it to Lowe's or Home Depot... one of these places sells chainsaw chaps, I think it's Lowe's... am I right?

Brages,

Labonville, Inc. is a site sponsor and they have awesome chaps. They also offer gift cards.

Good luck,

Joat

The gift card is an award from something at my job - my choice from a number of places, but I can't get it for Labonville.

Just make sure they are UL listed

Many places are selling chaps that have not been tested. If you buy a pair of chaps, be sure they have the UL certification, otherwise you may get a false sense of security.

good idea. Maybe check their websites. Don't recall seeing them at my Lowes but they had Husky helmets with screens.

I don't recall ever seeing chaps at Home Crapo or Lowes. You're wise to invest in a pair but I'd buy good ones from a site sponsor and use the GC for something else (ie bar oil??).

Don't buy Stihl chaps either. The straps are not sewn securely to the caps. Walk thru some brush and they snap and pull right off.

My local HD sells mainly Homelite and Echo, and I didn't see any chaps. Lowe's should be able to order Husky chaps if they don't stock them.
Besides, a Lowe's GC will have a bit more resale value on ebay than HD if you can't use it yourself.

For sure...

Many places are selling chaps that have not been tested. If you buy a pair of chaps, be sure they have the UL certification, otherwise you may get a false sense of security.

Dont go cheap...You dont think it can happen to you,,your wrong...You get what ya pay for and please make sure they are UL certified....

I just got some Dolmar ones that said "ChainBrakers" on the label, division of Mar Mac industries. They're UL listed. I don't plan on running a saw again without them on! Well, maybe for test cuts behind the shop I wouldn't, but in the trees cutting firewood I sure will! :greenchainsaw:

It is true that some chaps are better than no chaps, but watch how old the chaps you use are. To make my point watch the video that Labonville did on chaps testing.

Given the cost pressures on the big boxes, I wouldn't buy PPE or parachutes from the lowest bidder.....

can always use the gift cards for everything from soap to lightbulbs at the box store though.

k

i first bought a set of labonville chaps. they were too short but i used em anyway. this summer they came in handy when i sawed into my upper thigh. they worked perfectly. i actually didnt even notice i did it till i looked at the saw and it was full o kevlar material.

i was gonna get another (longer) set from them again but the wife went to tsc and got me somee loghtweight husky ones. i told her they were too think for my taste so i brought them back. i think the next day she went to the husky dealer and got a regular set from them.

i will say the laybonvilles have a very slight more protection in the very top of the leg. its very minimal but its enough for me to mention. but the husky pants wrap around the legs nicer imo and they just seem to fit better. they also have a handy little pouch to keep a phone in or whatever incase you mame yourself.

plus i guess what really matters is i match with all husky stuff lol. she got me the helmit with the face screen too. i mean come on i wouldnt wanna be mismatched when im runnin my saw or anything like that lol. who knows what the animals would think.

Back