Lucas semi synthetic oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallegosmike

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Land of loose NUTS, Really Big FLAKES, and Fruity
Anybody using lucas semi synthetic oil? The local oreillys auto parts store has it in stock pretty cheap($4.72)for a quart. YES, I did a SEARCH and found one post going back to 2002, nothing really informative in it. I am using poulan synthetic oil right now, but I am thinking it it really semi synthetic at best. Ive been going back and forth between 40-1 and 50-1 mix ratios. Yes I am adjusting my carbs for the mixes. All of my saw cylinders heads/pistons are pretty clean with no abnormal wear. My 455 ranchers muffler(with a cat)is tiny bit sooted up, but all my pro-grade saws mufflers are clean. My string trimmer with a cat muffler is spot less! I couldnt find any carbon or soot! I hate to say it. But I can not find any difference between husky XP oil and poulan so called synthetic oil??? Both of those oils smoked a tiny bit when it was cold outside. Soon as the saws warmed up a bit, no smoke. And it didnt matter how cold it was. Any feed back would be nice. Stihl ultra these neck of the woods is really spendy and not a option. Anybody using baileys synthetic long term?

Anybody using lucas semi synthetic oil? YES, I did a SEARCH and found one post going back to 2002, nothing really informative in it.

Pretty much what he said. Anybody tried the stuff yet? I'd like to think a semi synthetic oil has got to be at least decent. They have a pretty sterling review of their 2-stroke oil on their site but who knows how valid it is. Spare me the grief about running Stihl or Amsoil or Klotz or X-Brand oil. I simply want to know if anyone is using Lucas and their opinion. I know the other Lucas products are top notch but have never heard anything on this one. I have multiple items running premix so this might be a good option for most or all of them. Thanks

I have been wearing cloves of garlic for 40 years, and in all that time.....

NOT ONE VAMPIRE BITE!!!!!

So it is good stuff too!!!!

Alittle smoke at startup, little drool. I've been thinkin of tryin 50:1 but haven't yet.

At 40:1, I'd say a little drool is probably a good thing to see. I would also start there and then, if I had any drool, bump it up to 50:1. If the drool's stopped at 40:1 then you got to figure it's burning all, or enough of, the oil.

Pretty much what he said. Anybody tried the stuff yet? I'd like to think a semi synthetic oil has got to be at least decent. Thanks

Just a curiosity question in general - again not about the Lucas oil, but any semi synthetic...

How "semi" is a semi synthetic. What actually is the ratio of synthetic oil in it. Would one think that it is 50% automatically...like its 1/2 & 1/2 or is it 90 /10? Are they all the same?

I guess I have never looked into that...

Just a curiosity question in general - again not about the Lucas oil, but any semi synthetic...

How "semi" is a semi synthetic. What actually is the ratio of synthetic oil in it. Would one think that it is 50% automatically...like its 1/2 & 1/2 or is it 90 /10? Are they all the same?

I guess I have never looked into that...

From what little research I did, there doesn't seem to be a set rule. It could be 99:1 on either end of the spectrum. I would be shocked if it were above 25% synthetic in any blended oil though.

Personally, the issue came down to price more than anything. I did tons of research on Lucas on other forums and couldn't find a single complaint. Combine that with a price tag of $19 a gallon vs. $50 and I made up my mind to try it. I've yet to talk to anyone who can honestly blame their oil for their motor going to pieces. Long term life could be effected from brand to brand, but I've read too many guys swearing by and at every brand oil to take much stock in that argument either.

If I could afford a full synthetic, my only choice would be Klotz though. I got addicted to the smell of it when I used to race. To this day, I get a rush every time I smell that stuff in the air. It's a little too pricey for my power equipment but I still run the R-50 and Ski-Kraft in my CR250 and 650sx. I've gotta get my fix somewhere!

Semi-synthetic oil is a scam. To legally be called semi-synthetic, all it has to have is ONE PERCENT synthetic oil in it. Get off the fence and either use petroleum or synthetic. Semi is a waste of your money.

Semi-synthetic oil is a scam. To legally be called semi-synthetic, all it has to have is ONE PERCENT synthetic oil in it. Get off the fence and either use petroleum or synthetic. Semi is a waste of your money.

In a way "full synthetic" is a scam. Most are not esters created in a lab, but highly refined dino oil. For auto oils the case law said if it was refined to the point of altering it at a molecular level, it was synthetic. When buying an oil it is tough to know where science ends and marketing begins. TDI Rick is one of the guys here that knows oil beyond marketing. He ususally has the MSDS sheets on the oils.

The good news is they are all probably more than enough.....giving us time to worry about important things like which spark plug brand is best:monkey:

Fish has given what is most likely the best answer.

As long as you put oil in the gasoline, it matters little what brand the oil is.

I ran my first new saw ever, Jonsered 621 for more than 25 years on TSC mix @ 40:1 and when it finally failed a PTO side bearings the piston & cylinder were in great shape, no carbon, no sludge.

Unless you are running an extremely high performance saw, or running it hard for hours on end, oil is one of the least of your worries.

Mark

P.S. Fish, ask the question again "Has anyone, ever, had a oil related failure other than forgetting to put it in the mix to begin with?"

I can only guess that it's true of 2 cycle oil as well but the synthetic motor oils certainly are better than the petroleum based in the way of long term wear. Pretty common knowledge I would guess. I read an article quite a few years back on the topic. A college did a rather low budget study on synthetic oils. It's been a while since I read it but as I recall they used a new test vehicle, the make/model I don't remember, and tore it down at the start and measured every wear item they could. Then they ran it with the Mobil 1 for like 7K miles. Then they tore it down again, then they ran another oil followed by another tear down and so on and so fourth. They put a regular oil in there once and it clearly didn't compare to the synthetics. Just to be certain that the higher vehicle mileage wasn't effecting the testing, they ran the previously used Mobil 1 again and rechecked it. At the end it had over 15K miles on it and had a lower rate of wear than any other oil. They also did some mid mileage tear downs and found that the synthetics seemed to get better with more mileage, as in the rate of wear was higher after an oil change than after the oil had say 5K miles on it. I think they showed the Mobil 1 to have lasted like 30K miles before it was as bad as a regular oil. Like I said, it was rather low budget and they just used the car as a commuter. How they drove it from month to month, weather, idle times all could have easily skewed the results some. The biggest thing I got out of it was how the Mobil 1 was head and shoulders above the rest and how they thought it seemed that the oils got better with a little more mileage. Also the fact that the non synthetic wasn't even close on the wear charts. I do remember reading that the test was not funded by Mobil as many might believe. They stated that one could easily get that impression for the way Mobil came out on top in every test. Just an interesting thing I read, not trying to get into a big debate.

Back