Lucas semi synthetic oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only way that synthetic could be considered a scam is by someone who has never used it in either 2 or 4 cycle. It is superior and all tests show it.

My only point is that the extra money for "semi-synthetic" oil is not worth it as you do not have any idea how much synthetic is mixed with it. Either use standard or 100 percent synthetic, but pass on the semis.

The only way that synthetic could be considered a scam is by someone who has never used it in either 2 or 4 cycle. It is superior and all tests show it.

You appear to be an authority..... Note that I too use "synthetics" for viscosity and cleanliness in almost everything I own that burns gas. That and I am anal about maintenance. However, somebody show me an oil related failure. The "synthetic" Penzoil Platinum and Ultra I use in my vehicles, originated from an oil well.

What is your version of synthetic; Esters? PAO's? Highly refined Dino?
What was in the tests you speak of? What is in the synthetic you use? What is the add pack? It is better because of less wear, less carbon/sludge, less heat build up?

There is some scam/marketing in synthetics, ask the guys at Amsoil about having to share the Synthetic label with highly refined dino. Your Synthetic may have come from the same ground the semi synthetic did.:dunno:

I would not put Penzoil anything in a worn our lawn mower unless you really like gunky engines. Penzoil is an also-ran synthetic and a damn poor petroleum oil. The only ones that I would even consider putting in an engine are Mobile 1 and Amsoil because I know they are 100 percent synthetic. They were the first two on the market and are the best. The others are after-the-fact and were put on the market just so the company could compete.

Use what you want, but I know what I use is pure. It is your engine and I am not about to argue a point that is irrelevant to me because I know what is in my engine and has been for many years. Does Penzoil guarantee their oil for 30,000 mile oil changes? I doubt it because it won't cut it. Amsoil will and so will Mobile, although Mobile won't guarantee it because they want to sell more oil just as all major oil companies do. It is a marketing thing.

The whole percentage thing really got me thinking on what exactly I was getting so I contacted Lucas oils to find out. The techy said he's never been asked that question before but it was a good question and he'd be happy to try and help. After some research on his own, he took my name and said he would have to talk to the chemist and get me the percentage. They just got back with me and said it's 30% synthetic. He said "typically" for an oil to be considered semi-synthetic, it would contain around 20% synthetic. I don't know why I didn't think to just call and ask them a long time ago. He was very helpful and was quick to agree that the percentage of synthetics in the semi's should be common knowledge and not some kind of company secret.

Another way to know what percentage you're running, you could blend your own. Suppose a fella wanted to run, say, 50% synthetic oil mix; you could always get a bottle of 100% synthetic and a bottle of 100% dino oil and pour them both into a clean can, stir, and refill the two bottles. Now you'd have two bottles of 50% synthetic oil mix. :dizzy:

BarnieTrk :pumpkin2:

I dug this thread up to ask if anyone has run Lucas over time and has any likes dislikes? Burn clean? Run it in 4-mix Stihl? I've been running Echo oil for a long time without issue but the price is attractive and I always see it at the auto parts store. Looks to be the same FD rated. Not looking for exotic hard to find oils. Just curious about those who've had hands on experience with Lucas 2-stroke.

I switched from Stihl Ultra 50:1 to Lucas semi-syn 40:1 this season and I have had no issues. Low smoke and it doesn't smell like burning plastic like the Ultra does.

Latest posts

Back