Lumber barn under construction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've mentioned a barn I'm building few times so I though I'd share.

My original plan was to build a 24' x 40' timber frame truss and pole barn. My Dad had some engineered trusses fabricated for a remodel he was doing but the manufacturer messed up and made them the wrong size. As a result, I was able to buy them for half price ($500) and it increased the barn to 30' x 42' not to mention save me a lot of time.

The only other large cost item I have in it is the posts ($340). The rest of the lumber going into it was milled my either myself or my father.

Here's how we erected the trusses. Once again the Bobcat saves hours of back breaking work. We paired the trusses on the ground and flew them up with a home made jib.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95477&stc=1&d=1239646793

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is all the photos I have for now but I'll take more next time I'm out at the farm. To date the roof and back wall are covered. Next trip I plan to cover the gables and work on the framework for the sliding doors.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how windy your location is there but here we would have to put diagonal or chevron wind (depending on the span) bracing into a roof along with longitudinal bracing as well, I can't make them out in your pictures so am not sure if there are some in or not.

Usually its just 4x1 and the manufacturer of the trusses stipulates where they should go.

I tried looking on Google images for pictures showing them but couldn't turn anything decent up and am afraid i have never taken pics of the ones I have done to show you.

Scott.

Another thing besides the wind shear issue is those headers between posts look awful small to me for such a large roof.

How far is that span between posts, those beam headers the truss's are riding on look like 6"x8" and spanning about 12'. Thats something like ~15'x12'x35lbs/sqft~6300 lb distributed max design light roof load on the beam. I calc a 6"x8" doug fir beam 12' long grade 2 failing calcs at 3000 or more lbs, you'd need a 6x12 grade 2 doug fir to handle a 6300lb load with no potential problems..

I imagine in a few years those headers will have a pretty good bow to them.

I'm not sure how windy your location is there but here we would have to put diagonal or chevron wind (depending on the span) bracing into a roof along with longitudinal bracing as well, I can't make them out in your pictures so am not sure if there are some in or not.

Usually its just 4x1 and the manufacturer of the trusses stipulates where they should go.

I tried looking on Google images for pictures showing them but couldn't turn anything decent up and am afraid i have never taken pics of the ones I have done to show you.

Scott.

That's done already. I don't have pics because the last few times I was there I was working by myself and finished after dark.

Last edited:
Another thing besides the wind shear issue is those headers between posts look awful small to me for such a large roof.

How far is that span between posts, those beam headers the truss's are riding on look like 6"x8" and spanning about 12'. Thats something like ~15'x12'x35lbs/sqft~6300 lb distributed max design light roof load on the beam. I calc a 6"x8" doug fir beam 12' long grade 2 failing calcs at 3000 or more lbs, you'd need a 6x12 grade 2 doug fir to handle a 6300lb load with no potential problems..

I imagine in a few years those headers will have a pretty good bow to them.

16' span, 6x8 SYP with the natural "camber" up. I know they are kind of light but I used what I had. My contingency plan is to gusset or stiff back them with structural steel if they start sagging. I have collected literally tons of steel over the years (also free) so that won't be a problem.

16' span, 6x8 SYP with the natural "camber" up. I know they are kind of light but I used what I had. My contingency plan is to gusset or stiff back them with structural steel if they start sagging. I have collected literally tons of steel over the years (also free) so that won't be a problem.

mm 16' span.. ouch. I'd put more posts in if it was mine.

Looks like you have been busy great job and good to see your "handle" popping up on here again!! :cheers:keep it up and take care irishcountry

Back