Mac 125 Competiton saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powelllake

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This saw was built many years ago by walker and others. I dont know competiton saws. What I do know is that it has a full circle head and modded intake and tuned pipe. How would a saw like this stack up against the new race saws? Where is its place now?

It would be pretty hard to answer that question without knowing exactly what has been done to the saw, how radical the saw builders went.

I'd suspect that the saw would still be competitive, but would suggest that you keep it as a keepsake. A modern saw built on a big Stihl or Husky just wouldn't have the same "aura?" as the big old 125 Mac. It would be a shame to take a chance on hurting it in some way, even worse hauling it around, giving some scumbag the opportunity to "lift" it when you were'nt looking.

I was recently talking to an old aquaintance: this guy once raced anything that moved, but had a real affection for motorcycles. Two bikes were stolen from his shop: a yamaha RD-250 and a flat-tracker based on a bored and stroked Honda XL-350. They were obviously stolen by someone who knew about bikes because they hadn't been moved in 20 years, but the flat-tracker hurts me more because I built the last engine in it.

I'm not a violent guy but I'd like to see the thief fall down and get an owie.

Check out mc bender bob that guy seems to know a lot about mac saws and is building a very nice one right now. He could probably get you some good solid info of what it would take to race it.

Thanks to eyolf and huskydave. I am not sure that i would want to compete with this saw but will be making a few cuts with it to see what it can do. I have started it but havent as yet throttled it up into some big but piece of wood.

Heck, go race the d@mb thing, that is what its for. If done up right they are still very competitive. The saw looks like a runner but I would build a new pipe for it, that one is definitely not efficient, having no stinger and the cones are too steep.

Here is Cale Smiley with his last year in Southfork Colorado. They didn't have a modified chainsaw class but he fell in right behind the bike saws.
kale.jpg

Can you post a pic looking in the exhaust port with the header removed and with the piston at BDC?

That would show if it has added third port transfers externally or if it has boost ports.

If it has third ports added it will be strong......the boost ports do not add as much.

The reed cage is either a 4 V or a 4 pyramid on what appears to be a stock kart plate cover.

Like Pes+ said, a pic of the bore would be helpful, that way we could see if it's the kart engine 101 in a 125 chassis or a built-up 125 motor. On the head, I think you're meaning a removable head. I can't tell if that's a full-circle crank or not (but it doesn't look like it).

This saw was built many years ago by walker and others. I dont know competiton saws. What I do know is that it has a full circle head and modded intake and tuned pipe. How would a saw like this stack up against the new race saws? Where is its place now?

A full circle head?.....You must mean a full circle crank.....It doesn't look like it has a full circle crank. It appears to have a T-crank. If it has a removable head it's a kart engine. The 101 kart engines are what you want. They will still run with the modern saw of today. The carb set-up on this saw is not the best.

A few more pics as requested. It does have a removeable head. I meant that the head is ported full around (full circle). It also has a shaved flywheel.

Last edited:
So is it a 101 Kart engine or SP125? I attached a few additional pics in last post. Thanks.

There are two (2) NIB McCulloch MC101 kart engines on eBay right now...They are allready high....:cheers:

Unbelievable. Check out this thread to see a McCulloch 125 fitted with a Mc101B engine from the factory. Now I know what i have. Smokin"
http://macbobaust.com/101sp125.html

The 101 kart engine fitted to a 125 mac frame was quite common back in the early 1970's. They used them when they got in the big timber. Like I said, if it has a removable head it's a 101 kart engine. They've become more popular now than back in the day. Your's is not in perfect shape buy no means, but still has big value on ebay. Here's one of mine.

125mackart001.jpg

Last edited:
The 101 kart engine fitted to a 125 mac frame was quite common back in the early 1970's. They used them when they got in the big timber. Like I said, if it has a removable head it's a 101 kart engine. They've become more popular now than back in the day. Your's is not in perfect shape buy no means, but still has big value on ebay.

Dennis, man stop at my shop couple week's ago, David Stadler, say's he now's you. name familiar?

Back