made me a small mill need some advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa.hunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i made a small mill , max 18" wide , logs i will mill only be 12-13" wide biggest saws i have is are 262xp husky 24" bar will this work ok, and what will be best chain, full chisel , skip chisel , ripping chain ,i have never done this before , but i have cut tons of timber i run 40:1 in all my saws i will up oil a bit when i get to ripping thanks for info and help

i made a small mill , max 18" wide , logs i will mill only be 12-13" wide biggest saws i have is are 262xp husky 24" bar will this work ok, and what will be best chain, full chisel , skip chisel , ripping chain ,i have never done this before , but i have cut tons of timber i run 40:1 in all my saws i will up oil a bit when i get to ripping thanks for info and help

When I first started milling I was using a 60ish cc saw to mill 12" to 16" hardwoods and softwoods using a Granberg ripping chain. It worked real good for me until I got the urge for more power but never the less it worked. I also run 40:1 in all of my saws for cross cutting and ripping with zero problems so far. Best of luck to ya!:cheers:

I find modifyed ripping chain the best for milling.You can thin down every two cutters to 1/16" wide and sharpen them on a 30% angle which will help out a smaller saw alot.The thinner 30% angled cutters work like a knife to slice the wood,while the two 0% cutters behind them clear the wood out.Much easier on the saw and faster cutting. :) Hope this helps,Mark

thanks for info another dumb question

I find modifyed ripping chain the best for milling.You can thin down every two cutters to 1/16" wide and sharpen them on a 30% angle which will help out a smaller saw alot.The thinner 30% angled cutters work like a knife to slice the wood,while the two 0% cutters behind them clear the wood out.Much easier on the saw and faster cutting. :) Hope this helps,Mark
what do you use to make it thinner dremel small air grinder file and what is degree the chain comes in 0 % from factory , so you are saying if im looking at chain say right side of cutters , leave one full 0% , then thin 2 cutters leave one full exd. or are we talking about both cutters right and left side thanks for help

Two and two to keep it even.Two at 1/16" wide 30degrees and two strait across at 0degrees .You will have to modify the degrees yourself on both as it doesn't come that way stock.What i do is use it like it comes the first time and when i sharpen, that's when i modify it and you will notice a big difference afterward.:) Mark

Last edited:
thanks for input

Two and two to keep it even.Two at 1/16" wide 30degrees and two strait across at 0degrees .You will have to modify the degrees yourself on both as it doesn't come that way stock.What i do is use it like it comes the first time and when i sharpen, that's when i modify it and you will notice a big difference afterward.:) Mark

i will give it a try

hate to be a pain in the a@@

but how do you thin it to 1/16 wide file it ? and do you fool with depth any or leave it .20-.30 i really want to thank you for help

Last edited:
I use an angle grinder to get it to 1/16" wide which will leave a little burr that has to be taken off with a dremel type tool.Once you do it that's it, you won't have to do that again with that chain.It doesn't have to be perfect 1/16" just close.I find it easier to do with the chain on the saw so the bar groove holds the chain for me,sort of keeps it from twisting while being ground.Then just put a 30 degree angle on those cutters.Hope this helps. :) Mark Ps.Leave the depth alone as the rakers should only be lowered as the chain wears.With a small saw you shouldn't lower them too much more than stock.

Last edited:
thanks slabmaster for help

merry christmas , and happy new year , thanks for help i will give it a try soon as it warms up high today 9-degrees -20 chill just curious have you fulled around with full chisel or skiptooth like this if not .i like messing things up i will mess with it thanks again

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back