Made this Chain Carrier for my Dad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gritz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So this year for Christmas my side decided we would make the rule that we would make our gifts for each other. I drew my brother, and my wife drew my father's name (so essentially, I got both names, lol). I thought I'd share what I made for my Dad. It's a chain carrier so he doesn't have them all slung in a toolbox anymore. I made a sharp "S" side and a dull "D" side to it and made the pegs adjustable so he can have 16", 18" and 20" chains. He usually uses 18", but you never know. Thought I'd share and see what you guys thought. My main issue with it is how big it is. It turned out much larger than it was in my head, lol.

How thoughtful of you and what a great idea to set the rule that the gift must be handmade.

I think it might prove to be a little heavy, but if it were to mainly travel in a vehicle and not need to be carried far, weight and size may not really matter. I like that it keeps the chains from getting kinked.

I personally use a "bucket buddy" from Home Depot in a Home Depot bucket. Lots of pockets for tools, and I keep chains in the boxes they came in, sitting in the bottom of the bucket. But my chains can get kinked if I'm not careful.

Enjoy your holiday with the family.

Very cool. The best Christmas we had as a family was one where we made all the gifts. Unfortunately I can't convince them to do it again :(

I don't need to make cheap wine :D I get free beer from the brewery..dents and underfills (cans)... I gained 20 lbs since I scored the contract to haul beer from the local brewery to the distributor.

I like that it keeps the chains from getting kinked.
12j.jpg
uk3.jpg

Thanks everybody! I just hadn't seen one exactly like it before and thought I'd share. I also figured that if he wanted, he could take the pegs out of one side and use that for tools, oil, etc. if he wanted to. I guess I'll see how useful it is after a couple months of use.

I use a board with a few screws. One side for good and the other for bad. Threw it together 4 or 5 years ago in a few mins, still working fine.

Maybe drill a few drain holes so when it rains the water will leak out?

Neat design. Are you going to put a removable liner in it? That would prevent oil damage and make it easier to clean debris.

Doug, just make homemade wine. You can make good wine for less than 50 cents a quart. Trust me, been there, bought the chainsaw.

LOL I just had a great laugh!!! But really what do you use the 50 cent swill for really? a parts cleaner?

Gritz he is sure to love it! My dad slug together some quick parts boxes and they are some of my most treasured things. I am sure he will cherish it and use it with pride!

50 cent wine! oh my sides hurt!

Neat design. Are you going to put a removable liner in it? That would prevent oil damage and make it easier to clean debris.

I like that idea. I have some rubber matting that I could use, or some regular shelf liner. Might have to see what I can scrounge up.

Back