Magnolia wood--- whats it good for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobraken

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My neighbor cut down a very large magnolia tree today and asked me if i want to mill it, or just haul it away and burn it. I've never messed with one of these before and don't know if its worth sawing, and what it could be used for. Any thoughts or opinions?

066 on a Logosol M7 ( up for sale BTW) thanks Ken Bare

What are you waiting for? Mill the dang thing & give us a full report w/pic's.............:greenchainsaw:

RD

I've seen a few bowls turned from spalted magnolia; very pretty with black spalting, but otherwise pretty plain very light colored wood. I'm under the impression that it doesn't have good decay resistance, but I never looked it up to be sure.

Free wood is still free wood. You'll find things to make out of it, even if it isnt furniture quality. I milled up some box elder by mistake (didnt know what it was), and ended up using all of it for brackets to hold things in he garage, and for small things in the shop. It feels great not having to buy wood from Home Depot.

Ted

Latest posts

Back