making a modern Poulan S25DA by mixing parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesandcars

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a budget high performance top handle saw, starting with a Poulan S25DA and adding a low vibration handle from a later model Poulan 2300.

My Poulan 2000 runs nice but the vibration is annoying (with the solid mounts).

I've done a lot of research here and folks seem to really like the s25DA over the standard poulan 2300. should have probably bought a 2300 with low vib instead of the 2000, but live and learn right?

Anyone else mix those older Poulans together?

This may sound stupid but is there any way to fit a chain brake... ?

Thanks!

Some more internetting turned up some chain brake kits for a s25da / s25cva.. so if that's a factory option this might really come together.

Side note for the trolls , this is a project for fun, not the most cost-effective way to get a top-handle ;)

Some of them came with a brake. This isn't a very good pic, and I can't remember the model number right now, but its basically a s25da with a/v and a brake. Its a nice little saw

245489d1342661099-87-002-medium-jpg

I guess I can read the model....duh. Super xxv counter vibe.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Some more internetting turned up some chain brake kits for a s25da / s25cva.. so if that's a factory option this might really come together.

Side note for the trolls , this is a project for fun, not the most cost-effective way to get a top-handle ;)

Oh ya, big fun and cut great! I listed mine in the "six saws you would keep" thread. If you have a good engine, just look for a deal on a junker cva model and do some swapping, should work. As far as I know anyway. One of the more experienced poulan guys would know better.

I use mine all the time. That and my battery saws are my two favorite small saws.

The thing is, if you find a cheap junker s25cva, chances are good it would be a runner with some new lines and cleaning. Mine was a ten buck non runner, cleaned up nice, one carb cleaning and a new line and rinse the tanks and fresh mix and oil and it rocks.

Tons of info on these little poulans in the poulan sticky.

I am of the opinion these saws are sort of a tweener in design, not really a rear handle, not a conventional top handle like we see now. The good part is, this configuration works pretty spiffy! Use em either way, they are light enough to do that.

Best chance of finding a chain brake is with our neighbors to the great white north.

And the one I have is the only one I've ever seen. I don't think they made many of them. I see the micro saws with brakes all the time.

My Poulan 2000 runs nice but the vibration is annoying (with the solid mounts).

I really, really have a hard time with these statments. I just dont get it, those little saws buzz around a bit for sure, but I never ever really noticed it to the point of concerning myself with it.

Maybe my wife is right and I really dont have any feelings. :msp_rolleyes:

I really, really have a hard time with these statments. I just dont get it, those little saws buzz around a bit for sure, but I never ever really noticed it to the point of concerning myself with it.

Maybe my wife is right and I really dont have any feelings. :msp_rolleyes:

I am with you I have a poulan 2000 no big deal, it must be the gloves I wear.

Got a red craftsman 2.3-16 ( Poulan S25DA) in the mail Monday. Fired it up and she cuts really nice! Blows the newer craftsman 2.0-14 (Poulan 2000) I got out of the water. Magnesium case is pretty cool, very solid construction and not too heavy (though a little heavier than the 2.0).

Found a S25DA chain brake on ebay and got that too, fits the s25DA but will need to modify the bar-stud to mount it. It is alum/mag too, pretty light, a well constructed piece.

Don't have my Poulan 2300 parts-saw in for low vib conversion but still on the fence about doing that mod, will see when I get it... maybe the parts saw will get fixed and stand on its own rather than significantly modify the nice s25da.

I don't have a big issue with vibration, I actually like how solid and compact the solid handle feels, but if vibration can be reduced significantly by adding a newer handle I don't see the harm in pursuing it. They all come low-vib now from manufacturers so there must be consesus that it's better overall.

I'll post video / pics as soon as I have time to get all that put together.

I have a S25DA saw that I have owned so long I can't remember how long ago I bought it. One reason I liked it was that it was so smooth to use. I attribute most of that to the narrow chain it uses. So vibration was never much of a problem I was concerned with. God only knows how much wood I have cut up with that little saw over the years. Still runs like a top.

Having said that that it is one tough little saw and it has a lot of power. It's almost impossible to bog down, unlike my XP346 NE, which will bog down with a dull chain.

I have a S25DA saw that I have owned so long I can't remember how long ago I bought it. One reason I liked it was that it was so smooth to use. I attribute most of that to the narrow chain it uses. So vibration was never much of a problem I was concerned with. God only knows how much wood I have cut up with that little saw over the years. Still runs like a top.

Having said that that it is one tough little saw and it has a lot of power. It's almost impossible to bog down, unlike my XP346 NE, which will bog down with a dull chain.

Any of those models with the 38cc engine are simply great. Them little suckahs pull hard.

Back