Making money with a portable sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4American

Got Sawdust?
Reaction score
Howdy
wondering if there's much money in the sawmilling business? What would be the best ways to make money with a wood mizer portable mill? Is it possible to achieve a steady and comfortable income sawmilling?
Any advice or ideas are welcomed and appreciated
Thanks!
Doug

I wouldn't know whether it is possible to make money with a WoodMizer... I run a Norwood portable sawmill. As with any business, a lot of people fail or succeed with small sawmills for a variety of reasons. If you start out cash-poor and have to make payments on equipment, chances are exceedingly slim. If you can start out with the equipment paid for AND have a 2 year savings account (or an understanding spouse with a good job), you've got a good start. A couple of suggestions:
Get good, reliable equipment that can grow with your business.
When you budget equipment, remember support equipment... chain saws, loader, flatbed truck & trailer, cant hooks...
Take care of your equipment
Stay out of mass markets (like pallets)
Focus on a niche that suits you and your equipment
Be open to new ideas and markets (such as custom woodworkers)
Look for ways to expand your service (custom drying & planing, for example)
Line up a reliable source of logs and keep on good terms with area loggers
If a job won't cover your expenses (including paying yourself), don't take it
Keep track of your income and expenses
Let your friends on the forum know how you're getting along

It's a great little sawmill, and suits the kind of cutting I do quite well. The frame is good and solid. I've put on logs easily over 2,000 pounds (35" dia by 10' long) and it does fine. Of all the mills I looked at, it has the most flexible clamping system, which lets me cut oddball pieces like walnut crotches and roots, and also lets me cut short logs, 4' long without special jigs or hold-downs. All components, except the engine, are from the U.S. or Canada. It has hydraulic options, but right now, I'm running it as a manual mill. I towed it over 400 miles (round trip) to mill the sycamore logs in this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/old-sycamore.247515/ . No, I don't get paid a commission. I just like the sawmill.

I haven't needed much support, but they've been good. When you do call, a real person answers, and I've never had to wait longer than 15-20 seconds to get tech support. He was friendly, professional, and told me to be sure to call him back if I had any other questions. When I ordered blades, they were sent out the same day. Norwood is based in Buffalo, NY. You don't have to be an owner to get onto their forum. That's a good place to see what users think, and a lot of people log on and ask questions before they buy the mill.

Here's Dave demonstrating his machine. Does a fantastic job.
img15291.jpg

Had a neighbor once that started up a small sawmill business. Had his own trees, but as they became harder to get to, he just couldn't produce enough material to keep customers.

Sagetown, thanks for posting. I remember that one. Sorta warm that day, with lots of chain saws!

Nice to see pictures of people wearing short sleeves and no snow on the ground. Where's the next GTG (PM me, if you know)? Regards

Best part about owning a sawmill is the people you meet.
+1! Lots of good folks here on the forum, too. One thing you'll find is that we all have a common interest, and while there is a log of good-natured ribbing, we're all still learning and anxious to share our successes and failures. All that matters is that you make (or want to make) sawdust!

As far as visiting a mill, I know that Norwood has a network of owners (I'm part of it) that are willing to demonstrate their mill. Give them a call, or PM me. You're welcome to come visit me in Missouri. Also lots of Youtube videos out there.

I appreciate the offer, although MO is kinda a haul for me. I called up a guy with a woodmizer who saws and cuts up poultry for a living over in VT, i asked if I could come out and work for him for room and board for a week or so. He liked the idea but has a full house. 7 kids, a wife, dogs, cats, chickens, beef cattle, etc. and doesnt need help but he said I could go out and watch it in action. He's 5 hours away, I'd fancy someone closer than that.

Howdy
wondering if there's much money in the sawmilling business? What would be the best ways to make money with a wood mizer portable mill? Is it possible to achieve a steady and comfortable income sawmilling?
Any advice or ideas are welcomed and appreciated
Thanks!
Doug

I saw quite a bit on my LT15. I sell cribbing to a pipe company. It's not a ton of cash but it makes a difference. Sawing for production on a manual mill is a lot of work. I've cut over 1k board feet in a day by myself. The only reason I sell the cribbing is because I have a very good market for the slab wood . I actually get more for the slab wood then the cribbing. It would be tough to make a full living on just the mill. I'm going to be getting an LT40 this spring. I've found more markets that pay well but I can't keep up. Find a nitch market they pay the best. Don't try to cut ties and pallet lumber. You'll never compete with the high production places.

I saw quite a bit on my LT15. I sell cribbing to a pipe company. It's not a ton of cash b
ut it makes a difference. Sawing for production on a manual mill is a lot of work. I've cut over 1k board feet in a day by myself. The only reason I sell the cribbing is because I have a very good market for the slab wood . I actually get more for the slab wood then the cribbing. It would be tough to make a full living on just the mill. I'm going to be getting an LT40 this spring. I've found more markets that pay well but I can't keep up. Find a nitch market they pay the best. Don't try to cut ties and pallet lumber. You'll never compete with the high production places.
CAM00121.jpg Here is a pic of what I'm cutting.

1k bd ft on a manual mill must keep you in pretty good shape! Looks cold over on your side of the state, too. How do you like that tracked John Deere? Do you use the tracks year 'round?

Latest posts

Back