Making of an offroad wood trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well last year I cut about 2 cord out back and it took me about 6 trips with the lawn tractor and about 10 with the Jeep to get all the wood out. HAHA not this year. I picked up a 1/4 Mazda today for $80. Towed it back to my buddy's Spring shop and started hacken away. tooks us 15min and the cab was in the dumpster. Got alot done still have lots to do though like: add a few leafs to stock old stock pack, get the 37" tires mounted to rims and figure how to mount them to the stock rims, Fab up some sort of hitch that will allow the trailer to flex along with the jeep..

Last edited:
Chevy, toyota, nissan, mazda 6 hole are all the same bolt pattern. That way you can get some 15's on there. Note that the axle sits on the springs, so you might consider an axle flip job, otherwise you will have some serious fender trimming to do:)

Best of luck, take lots of pictures:clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Once you got down to the final picture I understood what you were doing. Before that I was thinking of some sort of monster mini mudder/hauler that was all deck a steering wheel and gas pedal.

Nice job there looks like you are going to be dragging out the wood in short order with the new trailer.

Chevy, toyota, nissan, mazda 6 hole are all the same bolt pattern. That way you can get some 15's on there. Note that the axle sits on the springs, so you might consider an axle flip job, otherwise you will have some serious fender trimming to do:)

Best of luck, take lots of pictures:clap: :clap:

I'm going to see if I can't find a toyota rims. my plan was to weld the 15's onto the 14's to offset the tires abit more. Also we're we talking about doing a Spring over when we take the leaf packs out to add the extra leafs. Only thing I'm worried about it the overall height of the trailer. I don't want it to high. Making it a flatbed is a good idea but probably won't happen this year..

I'm going to see if I can't find a toyota rims. my plan was to weld the 15's onto the 14's to offset the tires abit more. ..
used to be Toyota and Chevy truck wheels were the same, bolted a set of toys onto an old blazer i had....not sure if it is the same :dunno:

I don't mean to be captain obvious, but...

Depending on how nasty of terrain you're hauling through you need to decide if you want the trailer tongue to flex to the point of flipping...or if you want less "flipping" of the trailer at the expense of "maybe" flipping your jeep.

Jeeps aren't hard to flips when trailers are attached.....as the country singer says, "don't ask me how know":dizzy:

Nice work so far, I keep wanting to do something similar.

Depending on how nasty of terrain you're hauling through you need to decide if you want the trailer tongue to flex to the point of flipping...or if you want less "flipping" of the trailer at the expense of "maybe" flipping your jeep.

Jeeps aren't hard to flips when trailers are attached.....as the country singer says, "don't ask me how know":dizzy:

Pintle hitch is called for, trailer stays on a lot better.

The terrian isn't all that bad. My property was clear cut about 30 years ago so the worst it'll see will be large stumps, mounds and old skidder ruts no rockwalls or anything crazy. I was thinking that the trailer will have more freedom to move then a regular Ball reciever setup, I was thinking on maybe using a couple of large D-rings somehow. Keep in mind this will only be for use on my property and never see the road, and I only own 10 acres.

we used to build farm hay wagons- The tie from front to rear axles was a 2 inch pipe from the front, slid into a 2-2/2 inch pipe welded into the back axle. That way they could oscillate as the flat bed twisted on rough ground. Taking that to an extreme, put the hitch on the end of the 2 inch pipe, the 2.5 as part of the trailer frame, and it could rotate full 360 degrees.... or 2.5 pipe inside a 3 inch, etc.

k

we used to build farm hay wagons- The tie from front to rear axles was a 2 inch pipe from the front, slid into a 2-2/2 inch pipe welded into the back axle. That way they could oscillate as the flat bed twisted on rough ground. Taking that to an extreme, put the hitch on the end of the 2 inch pipe, the 2.5 as part of the trailer frame, and it could rotate full 360 degrees.... or 2.5 pipe inside a 3 inch, etc.

k

Thats a good idea but how would I keep the 2 piece together?

I looked for a picture online, it's really hard to describe.

Two pipes,
Pipe one is the arm. (with actual ball hitch or pintle ring)
Pipe two is the sleeve.

Weld a "cuff" on the sleeve. Weld a "shoulder" onto the arm. (Both cuff and shoulder would simply be some .5" steel donuts. Slide the arm into the sleeve so the cuff and shoulder hit each other an keep the two pipes together.

Now weld one end to the trailer and the ring or ball to the other.:)

That may not help at all, but it's about the best I can do based on the hay/utility wagons around where I grew up.

If you're in a rural enough area go to the place the farmers by their anhydrous (ammonia...the big white tanks that wiggle down the road).

See if they have any junk frames/trailers...or at least take a look at the tongues to see if you can get any ideas.

I looked for a picture online, it's really hard to describe.

Two pipes,
Pipe one is the arm. (with actual ball hitch or pintle ring)
Pipe two is the sleeve.

Weld a "cuff" on the sleeve. Weld a "shoulder" onto the arm. (Both cuff and shoulder would simply be some .5" steel donuts. Slide the arm into the sleeve so the cuff and shoulder hit each other an keep the two pipes together.

Now weld one end to the trailer and the ring or ball to the other.:)

That may not help at all, but it's about the best I can do based on the hay/utility wagons around where I grew up.

If you're in a rural enough area go to the place the farmers by their anhydrous (ammonia...the big white tanks that wiggle down the road).

See if they have any junk frames/trailers...or at least take a look at the tongues to see if you can get any ideas.

I think I know what you mean, I got to thinking about it after I posted. I think there's some DOM tubing kicking around might give it a shot.

I found this also, might try to copy it somewhat

http://www.locknroll.com

More done today

I made some rims form the 14" Mazda rims and some 15" Jeep rims, mounted the tires (by hand!!! FUN!!!!) Added an extra leaf to the thin flimsy stock pack, and did lots of triming.. Tomorrow I'll tackle to hitch, I have a simple Idea tha should work might be abit loud but it's just for around the yard..

Last edited:
More done today

I made some rims form the 14" Mazda rims and some 15" Jeep rims, mounted the tires (by hand!!! FUN!!!!) Added an extra leaf to the thin flimsy stock pack, and did lots of triming.. Tomorrow I'll tackle to hitch, I have a simple Idea tha should work might be abit loud but it's just for around the yard..

id like mine about a foot lower, much eaiser to load and more stable in the rough going, Eric

More done today

I made some rims form the 14" Mazda rims and some 15" Jeep rims, mounted the tires (by hand!!! FUN!!!!) Added an extra leaf to the thin flimsy stock pack, and did lots of triming..
hummmmmmm wonder where ya got an extra leaf spring? :hmm3grin2orange:

going to put some sides on her?

that would be perfect to pull the tree tops up from the valley behind my house, that they logged a couple years ago..................IF the 80yrold lady would let me :(

sounds like what your wanting it to do for YOU is going to be perfect.

took the trailer through its paces today. Nothing crazy just a few loads of brush and leaves out bacl.. worked great, did have a minor issue but I welded everything back up and we'll try it for abit..

what broke.. washer I had welded (tacked) on let go, then when I was backing up over a little bank it pushed up a sheared off one of the clips

Got the washer welded on, going to try it again for abit, if it doesn't work I'll redrill the holes put in large bolts..

Latest posts

Back