Makita 20" chainsaw DCS6401 - Refurb. $289 shipped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hesshouse

Reaction score
Toolking.com has the Makita DCS6401 refurbished with a 20" bar on it for $289. Home Depot sells this saw new for $470. You can make the deal a little sweeter by signing up for tool kings mailing list and saving $10 more and there is also a free shipping coupon good for this weekend code "radical".

http://www.toolking.com/makita_dcs6401-20r.aspx

Engine: 3.9 in³
Displacement: 64 cc.
Maximum Engine Speed: 13,500 RPM
Power Rating: 3.5 kW / 4.7 BHP
Fuel Tank Capacity: 30 ounces
Oil Tank Capacity: 13.5 ounces
Standard Guide Bar: 20"
Optional Guide Bars: 24", 28", 32"
Chain Pitch/Gauge 3/8" / .050"
Tool Weight without Bar and Chain: 13.6 lbs.

Has anyone had any experience with the refurbished Makita's?

I found myself putting in some low bids on the new ones which include some accesories and oil. After about 5 attempts I won 1 for $345. + 24.90 shipping from a high rated seller. I just payed for it yesterday and its coming from CA. so haven't got it yet.
Refurbished didn't have the appeal to me like a new one. I expect they have some scratches, and wear and tear here and there.Otherwise getting a lemon is a possibility with either but I think the better odds of a good one is new.

A few years ago I bought a 'refurbished' 18V Dewalt drill, 2 batteries, charger & case from Tyler Tool down south for about 120.00 I don't know what gets 'refurbished' but the tool came as minty, clean, new smelling, as the 199.00 one that H. Depot had. The Makita sounds like a good deal - Refurbished Dell computers - we have two, they work just fine for half the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

If you check out Ebay, there is a new one on there from a seller named gtasupply. There have been atleast 6 brand new 20in 64cc makitas on there from that seller in the past coupla weeks, and several went for $370 with one going a little lower than that. There is one more left, check it out:givebeer: .

Dennis

PS Sorry, didn't see your post Brushwacker, you're the one who got one for under $370, congrats!

Last edited:
Many of the so called "refurbished" items that are available are really just returns. There are companies that are strictly brokers that take all returns from the big stores. Once they get the stuff they cull it out and resell it to other smaller companies who sell them as refurb. They could be bad. They could be good. I unfortunately know of many people who will go buy a tool, and use it for one project. Then back to the store in perfectly good condition for a full refund. Great for someone who buys refurb. Bad for us all overall since it's the cost of doing business for the big stores, which means higher prices for all of us. I've been lucky on refurb stuff. The couple of times I've done it. Now Sears on the other hand --- well lets just say I have been in their refurb/warranty facility. For now I would press for a new one from them. Things are improving though, and I think the refurb and warranty items from there will be more trustworthy in the future.

Refurbished could also mean that a minor factory defect was found & corrected. Since Makita chainsaws are rebadged Dolmars, there should be a way to check for Dolmar/Makita recalls, or service bulletins.

Maybe the Dolmar dealers & mechtechs here on AS can shed some light.

I'm reasonably sure that in this case 'refurbished' means sold and returned, either warranty returns or store returns. Sometimes there is no defect, sometimes the defect is found and fixed, and sometimes they think it looks OK and sell it without fixing the defect (like my Wen electric that won't oil the chain).

Minimum delivered price on a new one seems to be around $370 with bar, chain, and oil. $390 is about average for eBay these days. Is it worth an extra $80-100 for brand new with oil? Can we find out where all these eBay sellers bought their new saws and get them for $300 or $325??
If the refurbs were $250 delivered, I'd buy five, keep the best one, and sell the other four. At $290, I can't decide whether to buy new or refurb.

When I bought my PS-510, it had been sold a month earlier to a guy who bought it with four extra chains and ran it for a week. I got it in what appears to be fully broken in condition for $80 less than new, plus I got two new chains and three freshly sharpened used ones. After I got it home and cleaned it up, it looks excellent, but I don't have the opportunity to put the first scratch in it, somebody else wore the printing on the bar and put the first three scratches in the air filter cover.

BTW, Toolking sells the 540 refurbs for $190, but they are out of stock. I've seen those go pretty high on eBay. Does anybody know what the actual weight is on the 540? I've seen it listed lighter than a 5100S, but that doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:
BTW, Toolking sells the 540 refurbs for $190, but they are out of stock. I've seen those go pretty high on eBay. Does anybody know what the actual weight is on the 540? I've seen it listed lighter than a 5100S, but that doesn't seem likely.

I have no facts on the 540, but based on the 115 facts, it probably is just a tad lighter than the 5100S, maybe not at all........

Toolking.com has the Makita DCS6401 refurbished with a 20" bar on it for $289. Home Depot sells this saw new for $470. You can make the deal a little sweeter by signing up for tool kings mailing list and saving $10 more and there is also a free shipping coupon good for this weekend code "radical".

http://www.toolking.com/makita_dcs6401-20r.aspx

Engine: 3.9 in³
Displacement: 64 cc.
Maximum Engine Speed: 13,500 RPM
Power Rating: 3.5 kW / 4.7 BHP
Fuel Tank Capacity: 30 ounces
Oil Tank Capacity: 13.5 ounces
Standard Guide Bar: 20"
Optional Guide Bars: 24", 28", 32"
Chain Pitch/Gauge 3/8" / .050"
Tool Weight without Bar and Chain: 13.6 lbs.

Has anyone had any experience with the refurbished Makita's?

I must be a Makita -Aholic I just ordered the refurbished Makita saw when it arrives I will own three 6401's two new for about $420- each and the refurbished one for $297.98. Wow I guess I have contracted CAD :confused:

I have no facts on the 540, but based on the 115 facts, it probably is just a tad lighter than the 5100S, maybe not at all........

The specs that I saw listed the 540 as 10.4# powerhead .

Engine- 3.3 cu.in.

Displacement- 54 cc.

Max. engine speed (w/bar & chain) 12500 RPM

Power rating/BHP- 2.2kW/3.3

Fuel tank capacity- 18.9 oz.

Oil tank capacity- 9.5 oz.

Standard guide bar- 18"

Chain Pitch/gauge 3/8" / .050"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I just won an EBAY auction for one of those 6401's! $382 shipping included-just waiting for delivery! I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anybody else do the $289 deal from Took King? I did, and I'm already having a little bit of buyers remorse. My mind is seeing a straight-gassed low-compression poorly-packaged piece-of-junk that the UPS man is going to bring me. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but I thought if others here did the same deal it might make me feel a little better...

Just punch it out to the 7900

Anybody else do the $289 deal from Took King? I did, and I'm already having a little bit of buyers remorse. My mind is seeing a straight-gassed low-compression poorly-packaged piece-of-junk that the UPS man is going to bring me. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but I thought if others here did the same deal it might make me feel a little better...

200 more dolleros and you will have more saw than you will know what to do with.

The UPS man dropped off the $280 6401 this afternoon. The saw appears brand-new and even has a small decal on the handle verifying that the saw has been refurbished by Makita USA. It did have a little bit of shipping damage as both of the spikes/dawgs are bent at the bottom at about a 30 degree angle. Hopefully I can bend them back without cracking them off....

I have some cutting to do in the morning, so I'll be able to give it a little workout. She'll be up against a 290 and a 359, and we'll see how it compares. Should be a nice upgrade over my 353.

Back