Makita 20" chainsaw DCS6401 - Refurb. $289 shipped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The UPS man dropped off the $280 6401 this afternoon. The saw appears brand-new and even has a small decal on the handle verifying that the saw has been refurbished by Makita USA. It did have a little bit of shipping damage as both of the spikes/dawgs are bent at the bottom at about a 30 degree angle. Hopefully I can bend them back without cracking them off....

I have some cutting to do in the morning, so I'll be able to give it a little workout. She'll be up against a 290 and a 359, and we'll see how it compares. Should be a nice upgrade over my 353.

Take the dogs off of the saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Straighten them in a vise or you will risk cracking the cases....

I have some cutting to do in the morning, so I'll be able to give it a little workout. She'll be up against a 290 and a 359, and we'll see how it compares. Should be a nice upgrade over my 353.

Be sure and let us know how it goes and what you think.
I hope that you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. So far....FANTASTIC saw!!!
Mike

sorry to hear about the damage. sounds like a great deal.

you will be all smiles after tomorrow.

:greenchainsaw:

I must be a Makita -Aholic I just ordered the refurbished Makita saw when it arrives I will own three 6401's two new for about $420- each and the refurbished one for $297.98. Wow I guess I have contracted CAD :confused:

I got an E-mail from the company they said the saw was on backorder and cancled the order said I would recieve a refund in a couple of days:(

I got an E-mail from the company they said the saw was on backorder and cancled the order said I would recieve a refund in a couple of days:(

I HATE it when they do that! They sell things that they don't have to sell and hope the supply will be there:angry2: :mad:
Had the same thing happen to me last Nov. on eBay only they didn't even let me know for 3 weeks when I got worried about not receiveing it and contacted them... only neg on my record.:angry:
Mike

Tzed250 - Thanks for the advise. I'll be sure to remove the spikes before trying to straighten. I certainly don't want to crack anything...

Ran the saw for a while on Saturday. It started on the 3rd pull right out of the box and ran strong. I guess my concerns about the quality of a refurb were unfounded. As far as cutting performance; for anything under 8" I would rather use my 353. Maybe it's the crappy Vanguard chain, or maybe it needs to break in a little. But for big stuff it's sweet. I was cutting some 12-16" hickory and she wouldn't bog at all - even when I leaned on it a bit. Overall I'm very pleased, and for $280 it was one of those no-brainer purchases.

I'm going to start another thread regarding chain selection....

To all you guys that have purchased Makita DCS6401 saws on Ebay, how do you register the warranty? On Makita's website it asks for the name of the store where you purchased it. I was going to call Makita tonight and ask them about Ebay sales but I got home too late and Makita call center is closed till 7AM Monday.

Todd

To all you guys that have purchased Makita DCS6401 saws on Ebay, how do you register the warranty? On Makita's website it asks for the name of the store where you purchased it. I was going to call Makita tonight and ask them about Ebay sales but I got home too late and Makita call center is closed till 7AM Monday.

Todd

Good question . I was going to put the sellers ebay ID if I don't find a store name.
I take it the serial # is the # on the sticker on the rear of the saw. Does anybody know differant ?

I ran a couple tanks through mine rotatating it with my 044 for a comparison. Its one of the sweeter starting saws I 've had, starts really well with a modest pull with the compression release. Most other saws with a compression release seem to take a few to several swift pulls. Vibes feel softer then the 044. Power felt excellant for a 64cc saw. I've only run 1 new 361 in the past which it(the 361) felt less in that department. A good 034 super or 036 would give it good competition powerwise I believe from my experiance with them. Air filter didn't have much sawdust in it after more then 2 tanks which I liked. What I noticed that I didn't care for was the saw felt heavy in comparison to the 044 and when I picked it up with both hands on the handles it wanted to sway hard to the left when I relaxed my hold. The 044 felt comfortable to hold with the bar straight ahead and was much easiar lifting the bar up and down. With the Makita it feels my left arm needs 2 more inches in length and the center of gravity needs to be further forward for nimbler control of the bar. So I think if the handle was redesigned and mounted where it was more forward it would handle like the 044. I didn't fall any trees so I don't know mabe the handle will fit that application better. I expect I use it more I'd adjust to its differant handling charectoristics and be fine but as long as the 044 is ticking I expect I will be grabbing it more even if I upgrade it to 79 cc.

6 mo. later hope you guys our right. got mine on ebay $399.00 brand new in box . 30 day money back. $ 200.00 big bore to the 7900. I think that is what i,m going to do. but I should wait until the warranty is up before I do that. but I will not make it that long I have a little problem with always wanting more!!! my name is Bill and I have to many chainsaws . HI ! Bill I will need a 12 Step program real soon!! I,m already hiding them from my wife. do they have a rehab for that?and will they take blue cross insurance? :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

6 mo. later hope you guys our right. got mine on ebay $399.00 brand new in box . 30 day money back. $ 200.00 big bore to the 7900. I think that is what i,m going to do. but I should wait until the warranty is up before I do that. but I will not make it that long I have a little problem with always wanting more!!! my name is Bill and I have to many chainsaws . HI ! Bill I will need a 12 Step program real soon!! I,m already hiding them from my wife. do they have a rehab for that?and will they take blue cross insurance? :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

I have one of the original 7900 top ends in stock for 149.00 if you want one...:)

For the guys that run the DolMakitas,
I realize there is lots of chatter around re the Stihl "pro" and Husky "XP" models.
think 029 and 455 rancher vs 260/346 ect. Any pro's run one of the Dolmars as a daily driver and where on the "PRO" spectrum does it run. It seems priced as a Homeowner but gets some rep as a "PRO".
Maybe the crank/bottom end or the AVS is weaker ?
Which is it. I guess I am more pointing toward the 6401 for a base. The 7900 better be a "pro" saw for that displacement.
Ain't marketing great !
A

Latest posts

Back