Makita 510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskrats

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had luck with the Makita 510? I bought one last spring with a 21" bar. It just dosent seem to have any power and the oiler dosent work quite right even after adjusting to max oil.

Not all saws have the power to cut with longer bars. Even if the saw has the power, sometimes the oiler just won't put out enough oil for longer bars (by design). Technically your bar is an inch beyond the optional long bar that Dolmar recommends.

PS-510
DCS-510

Did anybody properly tune your saw since you purchased it?

What pitch and gauge is your bar? Does your chain have the same pitch and gauge? (It should.)

Last edited:
Sorry its a 20" bar. Every thing is new from factory came with 20" bar. I bought it in april to finished cutting fire wood for season since my Dolmar 116 died. It had these issues from the first tree I cut out of box. Havent taken it to anyone. I relly shouldent have to since it is new.

I have the Dolmar PS-510 and it runs like a charm... with the Dolmar 17" bar and chain. Whoever sold you the saw should have mentioned that its really not for a 20" bar. Even saws like the Husky 346XP and Stihl MS261 aren't the greatest with that long a bar, though they will pull it. The caveat being that they also cost almost twice as much.

Do you clean under the clutch cover, the oil holes in the bar, the bar's groove?

Does it put out any oil with the bar on? With the bar off (don't rev too high for too long without bar & chain)?

I bought it from Dynomitetool.com but, they sell them every where with the 20" bar including Bailey's. I acually order the 18" and it was back order. I wasent happy they dident tell me it was back orded an of d they gave me the run around for 3 weeks so they ended up sending me one with the 20" at the same price.

If I hold the tip of the bar over a stump and run it. It will spray alittle mist of oil on the stump but nothing like it should be. Every thing was clean and good to go. Nothing should be cloged. I loved my old Dolmar and got this thinking the New Domar/Makita are the same but so far not so good.

I bought it from Dynomitetool.com but, they sell them every where with the 20" bar including Bailey's. I acually order the 18" and it was back order. I wasent happy they dident tell me it was back orded an of d they gave me the run around for 3 weeks so they ended up sending me one with the 20" at the same price.

If I hold the tip of the bar over a stump and run it. It will spray alittle mist of oil on the stump but nothing like it should be. Every thing was clean and good to go. Nothing should be cloged. I loved my old Dolmar and got this thinking the New Domar/Makita are the same but so far not so good.

The 510 is not going to throw as much oil as your 116 did. The oil pump on the older saws ran all the time and with the newer saws they only run when the chain turns. I think your oiler is working fine.

Your saw could be out of adjustment to rich or to lean and needs to have the carburetor adjusted. Also this saw may have a catalytic converter muffer on it which takes a little power away. Is your muffler gold in color?

My formar S/D 111i and my current Makita DCS-520i pul a 20" bar with little problem.

Since I know the saw is at its 'upper limit' on the bar length, I just make sure my chain is sharp and I'm a bit patient with the saw in the cut.

Love both of 'em ....

My suggestion is to check the chain sharpness and do a bit of carb tuning ...

The oil hole in the bar that came with a 116 is close to 3/16" dia.

You will notice that the oil hole in your new bar is lucky to be 1/8" dia.

The small oil hole contributes to the lack of oil problems?

I put a new bar on my old Dolmar and noticed the lack of oil problem whereas before, there was plenty of oil.

Drill the hole out on the bar oil hole a wee bit,it helps to get more oil to the bar. Do you have a friend or a good local small engine shop local that can adjust your carb for you? Do you feel comfortable adjusting a carb? There is some good info on here and on you tube.

I'd agree with rich or lean, both won't have much power. Exhaust screen plugged? Is it broke in yet? How's the no load RPM, if it screams it's lean, if real low rich. Most likely lean with the EPA nodays. Steve

The 510 is a moderate power 50cc saw that weights like the lighter 60cc saws - but I don't think you could do much better for the money it costs in the US.

I would say a 21" bar just is too much on the saw!

The carb adjustment should of course be checked anyway.....

Agree with others should pull the 20" but I would recommend a 18" as longest bar preferrably a 16" w 3/8" chain. Carb needs adj. and probably has KAT muff. get rid of it or gut it. Swapping is a lot easier. The life of your saw will be extended measureably!
Shep

I run a 16'' bar and 3/8 on mine and it runs and oils fine. I ordered mine from Baileys with the 18'' bar but they were out of stock so they sent me a 20'' for the same price. I ordered the 16'' bar the same time I ordered the saw. I havent used the 20'', I have other saws better suited for that length bar.

I have a DCS510 with 20" bought from Bailey's. I think it does very well, I did have to tweak the carb screws to get it right and IIRC I had to cut some limiter tabs off the screws to get it rich enough to really pull.
The oil tank is sized to be about right when I run out of fuel, just a little oil left. If you increase the oiling be sure to not run it without oil as it will go first with higher oiling.

Just wondering if anyone had luck with the Makita 510? I bought one last spring with a 21" bar. It just dosent seem to have any power and the oiler dosent work quite right even after adjusting to max oil.

My Dolmar 510 will pull a 20" Oregon Power match bar pretty well. I don't often use it though. I use the 17" that came with it. I have used the bigger bar now and then, but it is a little slower.

I have the Dolmar PS-510 and it runs like a charm... with the Dolmar 17" bar and chain. Whoever sold you the saw should have mentioned that its really not for a 20" bar.

Yup- they say it can run a 20" but the max on that saw is 18" if it is going to be any good...and they certainly are!

It was the first saw I bought a couple of years ago and still igets as much use as any of the other ones I have. I am running a 16" bar and Woodland pro chain and it has always been fine. I did Have to "fine tune" it some.:D

Latest posts

Back