Makita 6401 best bar and chain combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetjetskier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Makita 6401 best bar and chain combo?

I need to upgrade the bar and also a few chains for my HD Makita.

I have looked around and it seems Carlton or Oregon power match are the most popular.

I am looking at a 20 inch bar and chisel chains.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on what works well on this saw ?

Last edited:
i also just picked up a hd makita 6401 today.it has a 20'' b&c but i want to run a bigger one, i was thinking of putting a 24'' b&c on it,will this be to much or will it run it fine?:question::question::question:

I prefer the Carlton Premium bars over Oregon, but both are good choices. I also like the Tsumura (usually branded Total or Jonsered) bars. The 6401 will pull a 24" in hardwood just fine.

Last edited:
i also just picked up a hd makita 6401 today.it has a 20'' b&c but i want to run a bigger one, i was thinking of putting a 24'' b&c on it,will this be to much or will it run it fine?:question::question::question:

That saw will pull a 24" without a problem in the world. I threw a 24" Pro-Match and full comp Oregon chisel on mine just to see how it would handle. I continue to be impressed with the 6401.
I will probably keep a 20 on it more than anything, but is nice to know a 64cc saw can step up to a longer guide bar and cut well with it. IMO the 6401 feels more like a 70cc saw than a 60cc saw.

The 6401 will pull a 24” bar in hardwood without a problem. Keep your chains sharp, set your oiler to max and let the chips fly.

i also have a dolmar ps 510 with a 20'' b&c on it,kinda want to step it down to a 18'' b&c.thats why i like to have at least a 24''B&C for the 6401 so i have the best of both worlds.Just got the 6401 today and cant wait to go cut something.I thought about going outside and cutting down some of these hickory trees i have out here,but i dont think the apartment manager would like that.

I need to upgrade the bar and also a few chains for my HD Makita.

I have looked around and it seems Carlton or Oregon power match are the most popular.

I am looking at a 20 inch bar and chisel chains.

Does anyone have any first hand experience on what works well on this saw ?

Those two brands are fine as is the Windsor Speed tip. Try some Windsor apl chain. You will be pleased.

i run a 24" windsor speed tip with chisel on my like new 6401 from baileys. it seems to cut just as fast as the 20" bar that came with it! its a good size that handles most of the hardwoods in IL. with the dawgs on those things it's really a 22"bar. stout bars though! survive well when it gets the occasional pinch.

the owners' manual calls for up to a 28" bar in stock form. i would think with a bb kit at 84cc's it should pull a 32-36" bar fine. skip chain would help if the wood type bogged it any. of course with any respectable bb kit install a muffler mod and HD air filter kit should be mandatory!

Latest posts

Back