Makita 6401 vs Stihl 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalex

Reaction score
Hi from Oz!
I need a new bigger chainsaw for firewood.
I have a Stihl 210 that i bought for camping, and love it for the small stuff, but its not big enough.
Pricing of chainsaws is crazy in Australia considering our dollar is equal to the US dollar at the moment.
Stihl have a sale on and i can get a 391 with 20" bar for $999 (not a misprint) or can get a Makita 6401 for $765 or a 7301 for $945.
The Makita's seem great value, but there is a lack of dealer support for them ( most have Stihl's or Husky's here), so i'm a bit hesitant to buy, but Stihl's seem like a rip off for the money.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

I would buy the Makita. Much better saw for the money and should last a long time if taken care of. Plus it's a pro built saw so it's easier to rebuild if you ever have trouble with it. Also welcome to AS!

That isn't even close, the 6401 is a pro quality saw, while the MS391 is a plastic cased consumer saw.

Even the Makita (Dolmar really) is a bit large and heavy for a 64cc saw though, but you can put top-ends up to 84cc on it.

Just forget the MS391, the Husky 365 is a pro quality alternative to the 6401 though!

Thanks, i have looked at Husky's but they are priced the same as Stihl here. The 365 is $1249. The Stihl 362 is $1449.
Price wise the only competitor to the 6401 is the Stihl 291, normally $999, but on sale for $799.
The decision is getting easier to make.
Where do i buy the 84cc kit from?

Thanks, i have looked at Husky's but they are priced the same as Stihl here. The 365 is $1249. The Stihl 362 is $1449.
Price wise the only competitor to the 6401 is the Stihl 291, normally $999, but on sale for $799.
The decision is getting easier to make.
Where do i buy the 84cc kit from?

Those aftermarket kits need extensive porting to really perform - if that isn't done, I believe the OEM 79cc top end is a much better option.

Last edited:
Also do Makita use the same chain as Stihl or Husky?

The 6401 etc use same bars and chain as large mount Husky saws. .050 or .058 is optional, but the Dolmars usually comes with .058 bars, as do most Huskys outside North America.

Makita saws are Dolmar saws, Makita owns Dolmar.

:rock:

attachment.php

View attachment 248986

I would buy the Makita. Much better saw for the money and should last a long time if taken care of. Plus it's a pro built saw so it's easier to rebuild if you ever have trouble with it. Also welcome to AS!

On far south coast Makita is gaining popularity,especially the pro saws.dealers round here are used to sachs dolmar or dolmars pro saws in local logging,also sell,service makita,husky,stihl.My next saw will be big makita:chainsaw: I run a husky 365 special,sachs dolmar 166.:chainsaw: One for small,medium logs,One for big logs.:hmm3grin2orange: Also Welcome from a fellow aussie timber getter:rock:

Hi from Oz!
I have a Stihl 210 that i bought for camping, and love it for the small stuff, but its not big enough.
Pricing of chainsaws is crazy in Australia considering our dollar is equal to the US dollar at the moment.
Stihl have a sale on and i can get a 391 with 20" bar for $999 (not a misprint) or can get a Makita 6401 for $765 or a 7301 for $945.
The Makita's seem great value, but there is a lack of dealer support for them ( most have Stihl's or Husky's here), so i'm a bit hesitant to buy, but Stihl's seem like a rip off for the money.
Thanks

this a no contest question the dolkita wins hand down and dealer support ain't a prob here, if you have a problem
there are a lot of smart cookies here to talk you through just about anything cheers

D

All that and no flippy caps, too. I still like my 391, though.It's a good saw for the money.$519 here.I'd have a hard time paying a thousands bucks for it though, that's nearly a 660.I do wish I could find a BB kit for the 391, some day anyway.

By all means get the Makita 6401 it cuts bigger than 64cc. See MCW for BBK (site sponsor). Used to be a hardcore Husky man til I got a 6401. Did BBK,HDAF kit, WPorted it. It Is a "BEAST". So much so I got another one and a Solo 665 to upgrade using OEM 7900 P&C on them. They are not for sale I'ma keeping them bad boys.:msp_biggrin:
Shep

What is wrong with the chain adjustment? I find the adjuster on my 6400 works fine.

Good choice, I'm sure you'll be happy with your 6401.

What is wrong with the chain adjustment? I find the adjuster on my 6400 works fine.

Good choice, I'm sure you'll be happy with your 6401.

I don't own one, and don't really know, but that complaint was quite common earlier - maybe it has been improved on the newer ones?
Actually, there has been a lot of upgrades to the original design through the years.

Hi from Oz!
Thanks

RE: Dealer support, any Makita stockist or service agent can get in parts if you bring in the part number (ie Total tools etc) so getting parts isn't a problem, or go online for cheaper. Checking the Makita website there are also a reasonable amount of dealers that can assist with other items or just go to any other chainsaw shop. When I rang around my area the Husky and Stihl specific shops had no problem working on mine. As has been mentioned, the saw is a good unit, mine has been great, HD filter kit is good too. Only problem is my chain sharpening skills or lack of.

Back