Makita 6401 vs Stihl 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hulsty

Hulsty

ArboristSite Operative
Hi fellas

I just bought the 6401 and it is a beast. I am very happy with it but bear in mind it does not come with a case and the chain adjustment is not the best.

On mine the design appears a little crap, but it works fine once everything is loose. What chainsaws do come with a case? Most I know of you still need to by the case seperate anyway.

lukumuss

lukumuss

I just put four tanks through my new 6401. Cut like butter, very capable saw.
When I went to clean the saw down and blow out the air filter I noticed wood particles inside the filter and the carburettor. I added an o-ring and some grease to make sure this does not happen again.

Yes, the chain adjuster does become better with use. But the first few times it was very hard to turn the adjuster screw.

I work in dry conditions and was surprised to see wood particles past my filter.

nstueve

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Only problem is my chain sharpening skills or lack of.

Get a husky file guide... They are great for touching up a chain in the field. If you completely demo a chain then the saw shop can true it up with the grinder. The husky guides take the guess work out and make sharpening a breeze! I was terrible at sharpening but the guides do help...

Here's the 3/8 part number: HVA 505 24 35 01

Bailey's has a video of them being used too...

Mine did the same, now I have the Jr filter kit, well worth it
They HD air filter kits are well worth the extra $$$. You don't really notice how bad your stock AF system is till you get a HD system!

Last edited:

Latest posts