Makita 6421 vs. 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodgrenade

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Okay, anybody know the difference? I'm guessing epa 2011 compliance means cat muffler, not strato in this case.

Howdy All,

Well it looks like we've run Makita out of 6401's. The replacement is a DCS 6421. I looked it over and the only difference is that it has a Catalytic muffler. The only real bad news is pricing. We managed to get a couple of pallets of the 6421's at close to the 6401's cost but, once they're gone, it looks like we're going to add at least another Benjamin to the price.
We're hoping that what we secured will get us through the current sale but, time will tell.
Regards
Gregg

^^^^^^^^^
From the Bailey's forum

I hear saws run better without mufflers anyways.

Yep, just slap a Forestry Approved spark screen on there and you’re good to go.

attachment.php

Yeah well the writing was on the wall for dolmar with this one.

It will be interesting to see if they go strato, go with even more cat, go 4 stroke, or just go home in time.

i just modded my 6421, grind the seam, it is impossible to bend back the flap, the cat is a easily removed plate, no grinding, then grind out the baffle and open up the exit hole to 80%, tig the two back together (no filler material needed). easy mod.

i just modded my 6421, grind the seam, it is impossible to bend back the flap, the cat is a easily removed plate, no grinding, then grind out the baffle and open up the exit hole to 80%, tig the two back together (no filler material needed). easy mod.

Sounds like the new muffler is stainless ? (which I'm expecting it to be with the cat inside)

Howdy,
The old one bolts rigtht on.
Regards
Gregg

Better Check Again Gregg before You say Bolt right on............ new cat muffler has a Shorter top bolt and spacer so you would need the top bolt and spacer from the standard muffler to make things bolt right up.

Scott

Good information Guys and thanks, I had bought an Echo CS310 with the cat muffler a few years ago and had a problem with the cat getting hot and making a bad layer of carbon build up in the port between the muffler and the piston which started to cause cylinder scoring. I took the engine apart and replaced the ring and cleaned up the bore and piston but also deleted the cat and opened things up a bit in the muffler and threw away the caps. Now the saw runs better and stronger then ever. I will not ever buy and run a cat muffler chainsaw ever again.....

Howdy Scott,
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to make the screw and the spacer part of the non cat replacement muffler kit.
Regards
Gregg

Yea, I bought a new 6421 and ordered a new muffler also. Found out the original upper bolt and spacer were too long. Was getting ready to shorten the spacer in the lathe when I decided it would be best to keep the original pieces together just in case so I just ordered a new screw, spacer and gasket from Dolmer.
The Cat has a lower support bracket, most likely due to the additional weight of the cat which is not be used with the muffler. The new muffler installed easily so the muffler conversion itself is not an issue this far.

Question for anyone who works on these; Is the carb the same? Did they change jetting for the cat or is this a matter of resetting the mixture screw? I haven't fired this thing yet and before I did, thought I'd ask otherwise I'll fire it as is. I see two adjustment screws on the left side, one marked S which appears to be idle speed than another below marked L which I think is the mixture but I haven't taken the housing apart yet to see. Any tips would be appreciated, it'll save me the time of taking it apart to see the layout.
Thanks, Slex

Mine had no actual limiters on the mixture screws. But on the high speed, there was a hard plastic arbor in the hole of the case. I cut the flange off this black plastic piece with my pocket knife and it fell, forever lost, into the weeds.

The saw seemed to be set rather rich from the factory. So far I've leaned it about 1/8 turn on but LS and HS. It is still a little fat on HS.

I installed the HD filter which may have had an effect on the mixture setting?

The non cat muffler is noticeably lighter.

I also installed the OEM 79cc P&C.

attachment.php

Back