Makita DCS510 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yzgaret

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster here on AS.

Just ordered a new Makita DCS510 from Baileys. Have had experience over the years with saws, but mostly in just cutting firewood for the house. Have never before taken this serious of an approach to being a saw owner. I perused the forums and reviews for some time before settling on the decision to buy the Makita. I am not starting this thread to feed the trolls or start some e-peen battle, but rather to gain insight from intelligible posters with experience running and maintaining the DCS510.

I saw that the Dolmar 5100 was reproduced as the 5105, which came with improved cylinder cooling. Does the 510 have the same features?

People have said that replacing the new EPA-standard CAT muffler with a non-CAT muffler is a good choice. Where can someone buy the non-CAT muffler?

What kind of pre-mix are you 510 users running? At what ratio?

Any tips for tuning specific to this saw?

Thanks in advance for the input.

I put a Dolmar 5100 muffler on my Dolmar 5105. It was a direct bolt on swap.

I tune the engine to four stroke out of the cut and to clean up in the cut to two stroke.

Hey guys, first time poster here on AS.

Just ordered a new Makita DCS510 from Baileys. Have had experience over the years with saws, but mostly in just cutting firewood for the house. Have never before taken this serious of an approach to being a saw owner. I perused the forums and reviews for some time before settling on the decision to buy the Makita. I am not starting this thread to feed the trolls or start some e-peen battle, but rather to gain insight from intelligible posters with experience running and maintaining the DCS510.

I saw that the Dolmar 5100 was reproduced as the 5105, which came with improved cylinder cooling. Does the 510 have the same features?

People have said that replacing the new EPA-standard CAT muffler with a non-CAT muffler is a good choice. Where can someone buy the non-CAT muffler?

What kind of pre-mix are you 510 users running? At what ratio?

Any tips for tuning specific to this saw?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Welcome and you ended up with a great saw. I don't think the 510 improved cooling as it was not needed on that model, it has different porting and a limiter on the RPMs. I would switch the muffler out but before I went out and bought a new one would try my hand at gutting it. I have been running Stihl orange bottle dino for the first few gallons(just because I have it sitting around) and then will switch to full synthetic (Woodland Pro, Dolmar, or Stihl) at 44:1 on my Ratio Right cup. Tune it by ear but a tach wouldn't hurt either. Have fun and be safe with it.

You have a very good saw there, not the fastest or lightest but built extremely well and works great. I had the Dolmar version, PS-510.

Never an issue starting using 91 octane mixed 50:1 with Echo 2-stroke oil. If you're looking to switch the muffler for the non-cat one, it's a straight swap.

Cheers and welcome to AS.

I have two 510's
as said,not the lightest,not the fastest but a durn good overall saw,that why i have TWO :)

You just bought a good reliable saw that should last you a long time. I run Stihl Ultra mixed 50:1 in mine. It is the easiest saw to start that I own, I have had it pop in one pull and running on the next. This doesnt happen all the time but more often than not.

Thanks a lot for all the input guys. Glad to hear that other 510 owners are happy with their machines. I think I'm going to give a shot at gutting the muffler myself. I have access to a machine shop and cant imagine the process being very difficult. Also thinking I will mix at least 44:1, maybe even slightly more rich than that, just for peace of mind. Thanks again guys.

Just noticed you are in Denver. Not sure what altitude Bailey's is at or if then run saws in before shipping them, but having a tune up done on your saw by a good local saw mechanic might not be a bad idea. If a saw was tuned at 1,500 feet and you are at 5,000 feet, chances are it won't be running at an optimal tune. The good news is that if anything it will be a little rich which is much safer than lean.

How hard is it to get your hands on jets for these carbs? Found plenty of literature on this site about how to tune a saw, and have lots of 2-stroke experience so I'm not too worried about tuning it myself. Will do more research and see if anyone has threads about jetting sizes for various saws at various altitudes.

How hard is it to get your hands on jets for these carbs? Found plenty of literature on this site about how to tune a saw, and have lots of 2-stroke experience so I'm not too worried about tuning it myself. Will do more research and see if anyone has threads about jetting sizes for various saws at various altitudes.

No jets to change just your L and H screw. Pop the limiters off, tune it, and replace them centered. Most likely tuned to 50:1 and would need to retune anyway. Good luck and just set back and go through some tuning post, there is one I used for my Dolmar 5100 http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192423.htm

Latest posts

Back