Makita/Dolmar or Huskies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHICH ONE?

• HUSKY 357XP

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • HUSKY 359

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • HUSKY 365

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • HUSKY 372

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • MAKITA/DOLMAR 6400

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • MAKITA/DOLMAR 7300

Votes: 26 25.7%

• Total voters

Conifercaner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thanks Wild Night i should have done a simple poll!!
Just didn't realise how!!!!!

Here are the options with prices, which would be my best deal.
Price/performance/reliabilty/resale

Husqvarna 357xp £482
Husqvarna 359 £428
Husqvarna 365 £459
Husqvarna 372xp £567, probably just out of my reach
Makita 6401 £391
Makita 7301 £435

Please don't vote on the best, but best all round package

atb CC

At the mo 100 odd, 18 inch Leylandi to cut down, sned and buck.
These are 30 Years old!
Who knows after this, i'm getting the bug.
This will be my only saw so will have to be universal, i will have 2 possibly 3 bar lengths in the end
Please don't reply to the post, just the poll, as i have another for this

I will be buying one of these Monday!!:givebeer::cheers:

Last edited:
Go with the HOME DEPOT SPECIAL

Best bang for the buck would go to the 6401(prefessional saw) which can always be modified that can eventually be switched with the 7900 top end. You can't loose either way. Especially with the 7900 top end.

Home Depot purchase and some time to work the jug/muffler and you're golden.

Rick

Best bang for the buck would go to the 6401(prefessional saw) which can always be modified that can eventually be switched with the 7900 top end. You can't loose either way. Especially with the 7900 top end.

Rick

Love the terminology Rick:clap:

Work the jug and you're golden, sweet

Sounds like having a pint of foaming pivo then splashing it down the pan later:cheers:

Atb Mikey

Dang bud, how many threads ya need to make a decision???

I'm flippin hopeless i know, so indecisive

£500 sheets in these troubled times is a lot of wonger to a Trucker atm

I should have just done a poll in the first place!!:dizzy:

It's good to talk anyway/or write

You're a good egg:)

I have put a note on the old threads not to reply anymore so hopefully they are now dead
Thanks to all who replied to them

Last edited:
LOL. Mike, it's gets crazy here at the AS SALOON sometimes. I think I hear a "saw off" outside. :cheers:

To be honest, atm i am thinking Makita!
The poll is agreeing also.

You seem to be a big fan of Makita's

Have you had any problems with them?
Have they done a lot of work

Mustn't think of beer:givebeer::cheers::cry:

Suppose you guy's over the drink are still on the amber necter!!

Can you get any real ale there?

You would call it ditchwater i guess:)

The 357XP seems to be the weapon of choice for professional foresters round here as well. of course prices are high, nobody has to offer a discount on them for any reason. That said they're very agile and very powerful for their weight. I'd stump up the extra cash and go for one of these ;)

- in fact when I'm richer i probably will.

The 357XP seems to be the weapon of choice for professional foresters round here as well. of course prices are high, nobody has to offer a discount on them for any reason. That said they're very agile and very powerful for their weight. I'd stump up the extra cash and go for one of these ;)

- in fact when I'm richer i probably will.

Yep a 357XP is going to go through Leylandi like it not there.

I hate the stuff! It stinks and you get covered in sap. (no pun intended lol)
If you dont cut the darn things this year they will be 10' higher next!
They grow real fast!

Thanks Wild Night i should have done a simple poll!!
Just didn't realise how!!!!!

Here are the options with prices, which would be my best deal.
Price/performance/reliabilty/resale

Husqvarna 357xp £482
Husqvarna 359 £428
Husqvarna 365 £459
Husqvarna 372xp £567, probably just out of my reach
Makita 6401 £391
Makita 7301 £435

Please don't vote on the best, but best all round package

atb CC

At the mo 100 odd, 18 inch Leylandi to cut down, sned and buck.
These are 30 Years old!
Who knows after this, i'm getting the bug.
This will be my only saw so will have to be universal, i will have 2 possibly 3 bar lengths in the end
Please don't reply to the post, just the poll, as i have another for this

I will be buying one of these Monday!!:givebeer::cheers:

If money matters - obviously the 7300 - but I still would get the 372xp (voted for the Dolmar though).....

Rick

Hey Rick we dont have any home depots in the UK

In fact if you dont have certificates for a chainsaw you cannot hire one!
They will sell you an MS880 but not hire a MS180 lol
You cant buy a new top handle in many places here without a certificate either.

Hey Rick we dont have any home depots in the UK

In fact if you dont have certificates for a chainsaw you cannot hire one!
They will sell you an MS880 but not hire a MS180 lol
You cant buy a new top handle in many places here without a certificate either.

It's alright Tommy, ya'll have excellent football:clap: We don't have much of that over here.

Damn, they don't mess around over that side. I wouldn't be able to run a saw! You'd have to hire me bro. But I'd be alright with your cervezas:cheers:

The 357XP seems to be the weapon of choice for professional foresters round here as well.

true, but most run with a 15" bar... mike wants to be able to run a few different bar sizes for different applications.

personally i'd run a 15" maybe an 18" on a 357... but a husky365 or makita 6401 would be happier running a 20" and can be upgraded at a later date to 70cc+ in order to run 20"+ bars.

versatility/budget wise i'd probably go with a 365 with 15 and 20" bar.

but then personally i like to have a 50cc saw for the little stuff and a 70cc saw for the medium-large stuff, and have never really considered a 60cc saw.

we'll get there eventually mike:cheers:

You seem to be a big fan of Makita's

Have you had any problems with them?
Have they done a lot of work

My favorite Makita tool, aside from the ST, is the LC1230. Awesome metal chop saw. I cut thick rebar with it when working one of the terraces(shore) at the crib. I've cut a ton of linear foot steel with it and never had one problem.

Awesome tools and cool inovations they bring about to the work force. Only have one dewalt and that's there plunge router. Milwaukee is another I stand by. But yes, never had a Makita fail on me doing years of metal work. Their impact wrenches are awesome too.

true, but most run with a 15" bar... mike wants to be able to run a few different bar sizes for different applications.

personally i'd run a 15" maybe an 18" on a 357... but a husky365 or makita 6401 would be happier running a 20" and can be upgraded at a later date to 70cc+ in order to run 20"+ bars.

versatility/budget wise i'd probably go with a 365 with 15 and 20" bar.

but then personally i like to have a 50cc saw for the little stuff and a 70cc saw for the medium-large stuff, and have never really considered a 60cc saw.

we'll get there eventually mike:cheers:

Ah, ok. My thinking was purely in terms of the clone army of leylandii facing the OP. I'm sure a 357XP could run 18 or 20 inches, the power output is probably about the same as my 266SE and it runs 20" with no bother, but a new 70CC will be another beast entirely if you want to get stuck into the big stuff.

It's alright Tommy, ya'll have excellent football:clap: We don't have much of that over here.

Damn, they don't mess around over that side. I wouldn't be able to run a saw! You'd have to hire me bro. But I'd be alright with your cervezas:cheers:

LOL
Football sucks!
Im guessing cerveazas is beer?

Nah buddy i wouldnt hire you you would spend all day tuning your saw:hmm3grin2orange:

Between us we would get nothing done lol

Ah, ok. My thinking was purely in terms of the clone army of leylandii facing the OP. I'm sure a 357XP could run 18 or 20 inches, the power output is probably about the same as my 266SE and it runs 20" with no bother, but a new 70CC will be another beast entirely if you want to get stuck into the big stuff.

A 357 will pull a 20" no worries!

Back