Makitia 6401 with 7900 or big bore kit for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best your going to do is 85cc on the BB Kit. Buddy of mine runs that combo, a little slow but do-able on wood to 32". I built the saw for him, no complaints yet about the way it runs, except the slow comment. But even an 066 is just a few more CC's, shouldn't make a huge difference other than buy as big as you can afford!

Best your going to do is 85cc on the BB Kit. Buddy of mine runs that combo, a little slow but do-able on wood to 32". I built the saw for him, no complaints yet about the way it runs, except the slow comment. But even an 066 is just a few more CC's, shouldn't make a huge difference other than buy as big as you can afford!
Once I get the saw I'll be giving you a call for a kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a 7900 is all you have then not a problem. 36" is pushing it though for a stock 7900, big bore kit or not :)
If she ends up working too hard maybe even consider skip chain or make your own skip up by cutting out every second pair of cutters with a 1mm cut off disc. Fitting a big bore kit won't actually make much difference to overall power or torque but if all I was doing was milling with a 7900 I'd fit the BB and save the Mahle OEM top end. No point flogging a Mahle to death when you can wear out something cheaper :)
It does depend on how much milling you're going to do though.
Glad you're running an auxillary oiler too. Anything over 32" on a 7900/7901 is pushing the limits for sure.

It was at the max of my 30" mill and I had to be real light on it or it would stall. The widest part was 27" and 9' long. I had to refuel mid cut.

Scored craigslist . Makita 6401 that needs piston and it was not a HD rental. Not smoking deal but not bad for $100. Paint is not worn off the bar too much.
ujy4yvy9.jpg
e8yhubej.jpg

Time for tear down and ordering parts. Going with BB top end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back