Man this guy wanted a 262XP bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed this trend also and since eBay changed the identity reveal thing the whole business is getting out of hand. Two months back a 266 Husqvarna was up for bids and it was in nice shape with low hours use so after asking all the pertinate questions I placed a feeler bid and was almost immediately upped by some other bidder by $5. I usually do this to see if many bidders are watching. I let the auction run until only 2min were left and placed another bid$50. higher. One bidder then made 10 bids at $5. at a time until he outbid me so I thought I would play the game with him and kept bidding until the last few seconds and each time I placed a bid it would be upped by $5. and I guess the other bidder was carried away by the action and was not keeping track of the amount the bids were reaching.Two to three seconds before cut off time I dropped it on him at $555. and had a good chuckle. The following week the same seller had the same saw up for auction again,no explaination when I eMailed him to ask why the saw was up for bids again.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
The very FIRST sign of an auction that's going to be "boosted" for the seller is to list a very valuable item at a low entry bid without a Reserve price.

This should immediately throw up a "flag", as there is NO way the seller would/could be guarenteed to get a fair price, unless he had an "ace in the hole" someplace.

Reserve auctions are another story entirely. They shouldn't even be allowed. In most cases they simply insult the intelligence of the educated customer. Who has the time or energy to follow an auction for a week or more wondering what rediculous price the seller wants for their item?

A seller who really wants to sell something, will start the bidding at the lowest price they can live with, and let the auction run it's course. This entry price should be at the lower end of the fair market value for the item in question, or the whole auction is a complete waste of everyones time.

These are simply my opinion(s), and the guidelines we use and follow for buying and selling. LOTS of other folks will not even mess with Reserve auctions either, and anyone buying from most "power sellers", can pretty much assume that they will have "things" in place to make sure they get a good price for their items.

A couple of other things to watch out for are the sellers NOT listing their location or the location of the item for sale. These auctions will most likely have bidders with little to any purchases also NOT listing their location either. Since their aren't any "negatives" from listing the City and State where you are located, it makes one wonder why anyone would list their location as "United States"? The most likely reason is to keep anyone from making an association between the seller and bidder(s).

We used to also be able to make associations from log on names, as some folks are so stupid that they use very similiar "trends" for their screen name(s).

With all this said, there are still a few "deals" to be had on E-Bay, most of them are from private sellers who have saws that they simply let sit WAY too long and the entire fuel system in comprimised with sludge, dirt, debri, dry rotten gasket(s), varnish, etc. We have made several EXCELLENT purchases of really nice saws, but all in all, the amount of time/energy to sort through all the CRAP, hasn't really made them that much of a bargain.....FWIW.....Cliff

There are all kinds of games that sellers play on ebay. The ones that I pity on ebay is the uninformed buyer who only buys something every once in a while and gets taken in some of these auctions. Of course, if the buyer isn't willing to pay the $ he bid for an item I guess they wouldn't bid that high.

Back when you could access personal information, it was much easier to notice "trends" or make associations between the seller and the bidders. These days, not easy to do, but it is my opinion a high percentage of auctions are boosted by the seller by his friends, or relatives, associates, or even themselves, with different accounts.

yes and that is exactly why they changed it. so the buyer is even less informed. fleabay is cr@p and all they care about is getting the money from the auction. with 8%-10% in aution fees and X % going to paypal you really are just working for ebay, no? unless you got the stuff for free/stolen or is a scam aution there is no way you can make money(unless you happen to be selling overbid saws).

i was talking with the warrenty manager for north america for an unnamed outdoor powerequipment mfg. and he stated " fraud on ebay is out of control, its worse than ever and getting worse all the time."

In this particular case I know the guy personally. That's the same saw I sent PM too you Husky Man a few weeks back. It went for $695 that time! He had to relist it due to a deadbeat or some problem with a hijacked account. Anyways, this guy is a saw dealer and quite reputable. He's always got some really nice stuff out there. Anytime I'm out his way I stop at the shop too see what's new. He gets some really nice stuff on occasion and all his saw for e-bay sale are as described. :cheers:

E-Bay was pretty much forced to change the way they do business, as folks were "hacking" their way into buyers and sellers accounts and robbing them blind.

That's still NO excuse for not spending the needed time and funds to keep sellers in check.

A high percentage of sellers also make a LOT of money with EXCESSIVE shipping charges. Then try to back up the high costs because their "time" is worth something.

I don't buy into that crap, it's not the buyers fault you are NOT in business, and have to drive across the county to a shipping service or the Post Office. I would fully expect to pay for the package, packaging material, tape, etc, and a small amount for time to write up a shipping label, but making $20, 30, 40 or more on shipping alone is utterly rediculous.

I can ship a medium size chain saw ANYPLACE in the US for around $10-20, yet we continue to see "flat rate" shipping from $30 to $50, and sometimes even higher.

For the most part, E-Bay is becoming less and less glamorous for most, and once the Fed's get involved for their cut, it will really put a hurt on the whole process.....FWIW.

I'm still wondering about the 262XP of this particular thread, and why someone would pay that much for one, unless it was NOS? Anybody know how much they sold for new?.......Cliff

I dont know how much they were new, maybe $500 15 years ago. It looks nice but I wouldnt pay more than $300 or so plus shipping for this nice one. If it were NOS I would pay a little more than what I could get a new 357XP for, since the 262 has considerably more power. I also would not pay more for a 262 than I would for a 372. The 262 is great but I would not run a 28" bar on it unless I wanted to kill it, plus with the small bar mount pattern the 262 is not set up for bigger bars.

As far as the weight issue, call me a sissy or whatever, but it takes superior engineering to make a powerful saw with less weight. Thats why I like light saws. If you guys wanna limb with an 066 have at it, thats your preference. For my size and frame I like saws in the weight range of the 60 and 70cc saws. I love bucking with my 920 JohnnyRed but it just makes me feel off balance for most other cutting. Hence saws like the 361, 262, 670, 272, 372, 044, etc are what I prefer to run. This is why I hate the 290/310, I can handle the weight easy but I might as well have the power of a 372 if I am going to lug it around all day.

...... This is why I hate the 290/310, I can handle the weight easy but I might as well have the power of a 372 if I am going to lug it around all day.

Exactly, but some stubborn Stihlheads just don't get it - LOL

...well, some of them surely does, but they won't admit it, because they sell a lot of those saws......

Last edited:
Exactly, but some stubborn Stihlheads just don't get it - LOL

...well, some of them surely does, but they won't admit it, because they sell a lot of those saws......

To guys who aren't "saw guys", mainly. There are hundreds of examples of that in all specialized products. "Yeah, but I got a Stihl"...feel free to substitute Husky, Dolmar, Echo, whatever.

Mark

I can ship a medium size chain saw ANYPLACE in the US for around $10-20, yet we continue to see "flat rate" shipping from $30 to $50, and sometimes even higher.

I agree with most of what everyone is saying except this. You can send a saw for 10-20 if you use a thin light weight box, skimp on the bubble wrap and not get insurance and delivery confirmation, but would you really want your $500 saw shipped like that?

When I sold my 361, shipping cost me $32 and the buyer commented on how well packed it was in my feedback. In fact, after going to look, I bet 20% of my feedback mentions good packaging.

Ian

I agree on the nit-picking on weight.If you want a litlle less weight only fill the gas tank half full........ Ha ha

My favorite little saw

I will not say what my favorite little saw is since I have been scooping them up on ebay.It is not a power house by any means.But with a gutted muffler and the hi-speed needle opened up slightly it is a real honey for anything 8" and less.Also mine is from 1992 and have not been able to kill it.Good mix,new filter and tygon from time to time,let it idle to cool down a little.I like it just as much as my 670 Johnny.

I just sold a 70cc saw and it was $25 I think to ship, and a Poulan XXV cost me $18 to ship. Most saws around 70cc can be shipped anywhere in the country for $30. Thats with a 20" bar. A 660 with a 3' bar is going to cost over $30 probably

Shipping costs depend on whether you can use a corporate account or if you use "counter rates".

The cost to ship a saw using over-the-counter rates (what you see on the UPS online rate calculaltor) SUCKS. The BIG difference with most corp account is that they don't care (within reason) about dimensions -just weight, and the weigth rate can be 50% of the counter rate... the little guys looses..

and.. if you live in the center of the county.. big difference to living on one of the coasts.

Last edited:
Back