Man, what a day!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Finally got to spend an afternoon in the woods after one thing or another keeping me away all week. It was one of those days that remind you why you do this stuff. If I'd have had one of my non-wood friends out with me today, I coulda converted them. 20°F, bright sunshine, no wind, and a couple inches of fresh snow falling out of the branches, and critter tracks everywhere in the woods. I am kicking myself for not bringing the camera, it was definetly a postcard day.

Anywho, I skidded out a few down chunks of oak, picked up a small pile of oak rounds that got abandoned a couple years ago when the snow got too deep to get into that corner of the woods, and scratched the felling itch with a couple dead standing ashes. I confess to rustiness here, they were the first trees I have dropped this winter, have just been cleaning up all the stuff mother nature dropped for me so far. Got the saw stuck once, wedged it out, but couldn't tip it over, so pushed it down with the tractor, end result was the same. 2nd and 3rd trees dropped right where I pointed them though.

Skidded everything out, and gave the 290 and 170 a good workout blocking them up, now have a couple cords ready to split and stack tomorrow before work.

Once again, it don't get much better than this! Anyone want to come up with a new brand of cologne - mixture of diesel smoke, 2 stroke exhaust, and fresh woodchips from a red oak? I don't know how many girls would go for it, but the ones that did would be keepers.

Steve

Sounds like you had a great day, but for me, 20F has me burning wood, not cutting it. :laugh:
Take your camera next time !! Pics of that would be great.

Can't tell ya how many times I'm out there like that and just stop to take it all in. That's one part of my childhood I forgot until I got back into burning wood.

Oh yeah, and today I took a half day off work to "get wood hauled in". Spent two hours of quality time with my 73 year old Dad. That's not "work" at all.

Sounds perfect. Except like KD57...if I'm willingly getting out in 20F there will be no wind, that's for sure!!! lol

For what it's worth I'll take 20 with no wind over 35 with 10mph gusts ANY day!!

Last edited:
I actually snuck out in the woods yesterday also. Just for an hour or two. I still have a splint on my left index finger, but didn't have any trouble with the 346xp. I just cut up some mulberry and hackberry that my brother had dumped in the pasture (tree service). He needs to drop more decent trees instead of the silver maple that most of the tree loaves (20' dump trailer loads packed) consist of. I haven't been able to run a saw for almost 7 weeks so it was nice to get out.

The logs were cut last summer and the mulberry had wet cut faces when I opened them up. Wood does not dry worth a dang in log form.

Great to hear you had a good day in the woods.

Don

Latest posts

Back