Manual oilers Vs Automatics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Reaction score
I personally have to go with manuals. Only because they are more rugged. But when it comes to letting someone use my saws with manual's, it makes me very very nervous :msp_scared:. What do you guys prefer? Not as in "older saws" but as in if you could have a manual oiler newer saws.

Last edited:
So? You know some of us on here like collecting old saws and use them frequently because thats all we can afford. And I do recall a few newer cheaper saws having manuals .

In your defense, you are right. I have one of the older ones and some of the echos have the manual oilers too. But his response cracked me up. :D

listen..not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here. i just could hardly believe what i was reading. this thread could go in the "RETRO" section.

In your defense, you are right. I have one of the older ones and some of the echos have the manual oilers too. But his response cracked me up. :D

I would not have posted it if I was wrong...:hmm3grin2orange:. yea there has been plenty of funny quotes I have seen on here too. Lots of good logical ones too.

listen..not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here. i just could hardly believe what i was reading. this thread could go in the "RETRO" section.

If I got my feeling hurt that easy then i'd probably be a women :D. I understand that everyone has their own opinions and I do understand that I am still stuck back in the 70s

old saws are neat to look at, and if you are into collecting/running them that is great too. i enjoy saws, i make my living with them. i just do not want a saw that is that is twice as heavy, and half as fast, and, boring. i am positive it is quite a feat and personal accomplishment for some here, to put your thumb on a button,lever and push it down. " hey look maw,watch what happens when i push down on that there button" all in good fun here, i do definately like automatic oilers. allthough on stihls, they need a little help to put enough oil on the b/c. i wonder if the new 661's will have a manual oiler? nah, they would never sell, because no-one could figure out how to run them.:D

I have got saws wih manual oilers, but have never cut with them. They are all either projects or shelf queens. I have to ask, how do you know how much oil to use? I am wanting to do a bit of cutting with one, and dont want to trash a factory bar and vintage chain.

I have got saws wih manual oilers, but have never cut with them. They are all either projects or shelf queens. I have to ask, how do you know how much oil to use? I am wanting to do a bit of cutting with one, and dont want to trash a factory bar and vintage chain.

Usually for a 14-18in bar about a pump every 10 seconds. And for a 20 or bigger every 5 seconds. Thats at least what I do and I have never ruined a bar or chain yet.

old saws are neat to look at, and if you are into collecting/running them that is great too. i enjoy saws, i make my living with them. i just do not want a saw that is that is twice as heavy, and half as fast, and, boring. i am positive it is quite a feat and personal accomplishment for some here, to put your thumb on a button,lever and push it down. " hey look maw,watch what happens when i push down on that there button" all in good fun here, i do definately like automatic oilers. allthough on stihls, they need a little help to put enough oil on the b/c. i wonder if the new 661's will have a manual oiler? nah, they would never sell, because no-one could figure out how to run them.:D

Believe it or not my 455 Rancher weighs a bit more than my XL-12s. And they both have 20in bars.

Believe it or not my 455 Rancher weighs a bit more than my XL-12s. And they both have 20in bars.

And if you have to make your living with either one, I feel sorry for you.

I could not imagine cutting fireline for 14 hours straight with a manual oiler only. I do like having both on my 840, but for a saw I actually had to work with... nah.

And if you have to make your living with either one, I feel sorry for you.

I could not imagine cutting fireline for 14 hours straight with a manual oiler only. I do like having both on my 840, but for a saw I actually had to work with... nah.

I can cut with either one all day and they don't bother me any. I grew up using this kinda stuff and it never bothered me at all. I mean theres really not that much to pushing a plunger every 10 seconds. The part that wears me out is loading and splitting!

Back