Maple in NE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanB22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Busy trying to figure out how to slab up these short pieces for a headboard. Notice that these 'blocks' are 42" in length and about 30-33" in width.

Took the first cut today to try and block out the trunk and found this!

y2a6unu3.jpg

Sweet looking wood. So, how do I orient this thing for the best grain on a headboard? I think it will need to have the grain running north south, instead of the normal east west direction on the headboard, but what would you do given this log?

a8asevud.jpg
y5emuvuq.jpg
nu9a2ebe.jpg

Also any comments on how terrible this chain is compared to full chisel? God this stuff chatters like a SOB but is brand new. It's by Windsor .063 but no idea if it is .404 or 3/8th's. Settled for what was locally and wishing I didn't.

7u2uduna.jpg
4u9uvuve.jpg

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

No replies or tips on milling orientation..aww well

Are you using a mill attachment or just free-handing the cuts? They usually say a semi-chisel cuts smoother than a full-chisel. If you are free-handing, it may be difficult to get a smooth cut. Hmmm, I see your signature says you have a Granberg mill. My idea would be to rip the pieces lengthwise and build your headboard, as you say, north-south orientation (grain vertical) as panels, (raised panels maybe, like cabinet doors) Book match panels if you have interesting grain. I don't know why no one else has responded.

You going to use a router for planning those chunks?
How thick are those quilted chunks you are cutting?

I'd use the milling attachment and cut the whole piece instead of 'chopping' the chunk up. But that's just me...

Scott (I like ripping chain LP type) B

Thanks for the replies and the raised panel idea, that does sound very nice, and I can always pick up some 8ft maple to make the frame, this chunk won't have the length to make a board that large.

I am using the Granberg, that particular cut pictures was free-hand to trim the log down to my max 36" cut width on the Granberg, and it looked so good I figured I would start milling from there! Rather than my original planned spot.

How come the chain looks sunken into the bar rail in the last picture? I'm not sure if it's me or the focus of the picture. Is that chain the same gauge as the bar? Just curious. Also, you might check out a previous issue of Fine Woodworking by Nick Offerman (yes that Nick Offerman), re. slab tables. He uses a router to surface slabs like SDB777 mentioned. Good luck.

The chain isn't sunken down at all. Just not as smooth running as full chisel. Thanks for taking a look. I'll upload some pictures after I take a few more passes in the next week or so. Good information from everyone.

Also, I will be flattening with a router, amazing how that works like a charm!

Back