Master chain use thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16:1mix

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Informal poll.

What kinds of saw chains styles do you guys like and why?

Chisel, skip, square, round, etc - name your favorites and preferred brands.

Last edited:
Stihl RSKLFK. Square ground chisel skip. Gonna try some semi-skip soon. Square ground fastest cutting in big soft wood full skip clears chips better especially Cedar which I seam to be cutting a lot. Stihl chain seems to be harder than the rest holds good edge.

If I had to pick only one, it would be Stihl RSC, with Oregon LP as second choise. :D

The top one, on the "want to try" list, is RSK.

About all my wood is green and clean.......

I've always used standard round chisel or semi-chisel, though I've considered trying square or skip styles, but I'm worried I'd be opening a whole new can of worms for myself!!! :laugh:

(I do have an unused 42" loop of Granberg ripping chain for the eventual mill)

If I had to pick only one, it would be Stihl RSC, with Oregon LP as second choise. :D

The top one, on the "want to try" list, is RSK.

About all my wood is green and clean.......

care to remind me which is the best .325 semi-chisel chain from stihl?

Stihl RSKLFK. Square ground chisel skip. Gonna try some semi-skip soon. Square ground fastest cutting in big soft wood full skip clears chips better especially Cedar which I seam to be cutting a lot. Stihl chain seems to be harder than the rest holds good edge.

+1.

Full skip on everything longer than 28 inches cause it sharpens faster and cuts nearly as fast.

I've always used standard round chisel or semi-chisel, though I've considered trying square or skip styles, but I'm worried I'd be opening a whole new can of worms for myself!!! :laugh:

(I do have an unused 42" loop of Granberg ripping chain for the eventual mill)

I'd advise against trying fresh square off the grinder.

Hmmmm, each cutter has to do more work in the same cut, so you prolly have to sharpen more often........

That's actually true, but not the main factor.

The reality is what normally takes the edge off a chain is some sort of mineral or something. Clean wood itself is pretty easy on edges. So although single comp will tend to wear a bit longer, once you get into some grit in bark or whatever, the edge goes away whether it's full skip or full comp. And for example I sharpened a 135 dl chain this morning and I was glad it was full skip.

That is one nice grinder you have. Its the Mercedes. I am shootin for the F150 of grinders the Razursharp II.

That's right, you saw it when you two stopped by for a visit and to drop off some catalpa.

Andy was here this afternoon with his dad, and commented that although my grinder looked like it did the job, it looked like it had been built in someone's garage. The good news is that if one need parts they could problably make them themself due to the fact the machine is so simple/primitive.

I do think the Silvey grinders are a bit primitive as well as overpriced, but they are still the only game in town anymore for square as far as I know (new anyway). I wish the Germans or Japanese had a market for square grinders, so we would have some precision and choice. Not going to happen, and if fact I worry that square grinders are such a specialized product these days at some point Silvey won't even make them anymore.

That's right, you saw it when you two stopped by for a visit and to drop off some catalpa.

Andy was here this afternoon with his dad, and commented that although my grinder looked like it did the job, it looked like it had been built in someone's garage. The good news is that if one need parts they could problably make them themself due to the fact the machine is so simple/primitive.

I do think the Silvey grinders are a bit primitive as well as overpriced, but they are still the only game in town anymore for square as far as I know (new anyway). I wish the Germans or Japanese had a market for square grinders, so we would have some precision and choice. Not going to happen, and if fact I worry that square grinders are such a specialized product these days at some point Silvey won't even make them anymore.

Yup thats why my goal is to have one by spring. Buy some extra wheels and hopefully last me for 20 years although I imagine without grinders chain may go away so have to buy rolls of chain to. Its endless.

Back