Mastermind Meets The Echo CS-520

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty bad from here, but really no way to tell on the cylinder until you start cleaning it up.
Piston will be toast.
Too much metal gone already, if you ever did get it cleaned up it would be like a BB in a bucket.

Mike

Yes the piston is toast but the cylinder might clean up. I had a echo 400 that I thought looking through the exhaust would clean up fine. After tearing it apart I found that the cylinder was bad because it had one narrow strip that was deeply scored and got very hot. It burned some big holes through the plating.

You need to clean up the cylinder. I think it might be good.

I don't have a honing tool. All I have is a sanding drum for my dremel. It is working. How smooth do I need to get the walls, do I need to sand the grooves down until I can feel them no more? Will that leave a low spot on that section of the cylinder? Does that matter?

I found a replacement piston 45mm for a CS-5100 that looks similar, wonder if it will work.

I read some about cleaning up a cylinder and I will sand it out with higher grades of paper until it looks OK then I will post a few pic and hopefully will be able to use it.

Thanks for all the advice.

I don't have a honing tool. All I have is a sanding drum for my dremel. It is working. How smooth do I need to get the walls, do I need to sand the grooves down until I can feel them no more? Will that leave a low spot on that section of the cylinder? Does that matter?

I found a replacement piston 45mm for a CS-5100 that looks similar, wonder if it will work.

I read some about cleaning up a cylinder and I will sand it out with higher grades of paper until it looks OK then I will post a few pic and hopefully will be able to use it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Well, first of all what grit paper are you using on your drum?
If it isn't very fine, you will be through the plating in short order.

I polish with 420 grit AFTER removing the transferred metal with Muriatic acid.
If you get the grooves out you WILL be through the plating!
Hopefully there are no "grooves" in the cylinder and what you are feeling is the metal that has been transferred to the plating.
Did you Q-tip some Muriatic acid on the transfer?

Mike

What a bummer. And I can't find a reasonably priced replacement online anywhere. Anyone know if the CS-520 is the same and a shindaiwa saw? Or if it is similar to another echo saw?

For that matter, anyone need parts for a S-520 saw...besides the engine? hahaha...uhg..

What a bummer. And I can't find a reasonably priced replacement online anywhere. Anyone know if the CS-520 is the same and a shindaiwa saw? Or if it is similar to another echo saw?

For that matter, anyone need parts for a S-520 saw...besides the engine? hahaha...uhg..

Be patient and bide your time.
One with a good engine and crushed body will show up in time.

Mike

You promised muffler mod pics... ;)

Thanks for the reminder Wes. When I get back to the desktop they will be posted. :rock:

As promised.

attachment.php

Any chance you could re-post this picture Randy? I have a CS 520 on my bench and am trying to decide how to mod the muffler.

Thanks for the reply Randy. A lot of good info has been lost in the form of pictures. This is why I always try to use a photo hosting website when posting photos to forums. Even if an imbedded picture does not show up in the thread, the link is usually shown and an interested person could copy and past it into their browser and view the photo on the photo hosting website. It also allows you to maintain control over your pictures and easily re-post.

Back to the 520....

I found this picture in this thread and also read about drilling out the weld around the pipe, then removing pipe. I thought this was a bit more elegant than simply drilling another hole...... so I fired up the drill press and drilled out the weld with a 3/4" bit using the pipe as a guide.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/echo-cs-520-advice.167707/page-2

large.jpg

The top weld drilled out ok but it turns out the base of the tube was pressed/swagged into the internal baffles of the muffler. So obviously I decided to proceed with a chisel and hammer which resulted in said chisel coming out the bottom of muffler.

i-6SXMcrc-L.jpg

Figuring I was buying a new muffler I went ahead and ground off the seam and tried to split the muffler. Turns out the access tubes to the bolts that hold the muffler to the cylinder are also swagged onto the front of the muffler. Drilled those out and the muffler came apart.

i-JzBXFjT-L.jpg

i-ptnQQLP-L.jpg

This is the first muffler I tried to split and I learned one way not to do. I am going to try and MIG weld the halves back together just to see if it works for future saws.

The new muffler was $60 and I will prob just drill a hole below the pipe and call it a day.

Yeah would have sold the saw for parts if it was mine....

This thread is another example of the alerts and emails not working. I stumbled across it by complete accident....

I just popped in to have a look at some of the work you did on the 520 for reference on one I am working on currently. :( But now there's NO images... How the freckle am I gonna copy yer shizzle and say it's my work without all them nice little images? This is all your fault somehow.

Latest posts

Back