Mastermind Meets The Echo CS600P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That saw is smokin' fast. Looks lite and nimble, how did it handle and what was the weight on it if you have it? Nice job. Looks like its on par with an 044 AND in a 60cc package... very nice.

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no echo bashers yet saying echo is a piece of junk,,, i won't mention sawtrolls name :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:,,,, i have always said that echos CAN keep up with the other brands and i think this proves it,, i just stopped defending echo because of the crap i always got,, i run huskies now but i will always defend echo for their saws,, their is not a thing wrong with an echo

:popcorn::popcorn:

way to go randy as always,,, very nice job

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no echo bashers yet saying echo is a piece of junk,,, i won't mention sawtrolls name :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:,,,, i have always said that echos CAN keep up with the other brands and i think this proves it,, i just stopped defending echo because of the crap i always got,, i run huskies now but i will always defend echo for their saws,, their is not a thing wrong with an echo

:popcorn::popcorn:

way to go randy as always,,, very nice job

I think this thread sort of proves that some of the echo basing is justified. If there is that much unrealized potential in a stock saw that does not speak highly to echo's design work, unless its purely to meet EPA regs.

I will continue to maintain that the overwhelming majority of chainsaws in use are not ported. To consider a port essential for a saw is silly and does not speak highly of the original saw. Great if saws have unrealized potential, but if people have to void their illustrious 5 year warranty to get to that then in the scheme of things, this is not an ideal condition.

For the two porters in the thread to say that they're curious how the "durability" will work out over time is not all that comforting either. I'm sure the saw will last a while and dont doubt either of their abilities, but I don't think its wrong to commend the manufs who put out strong stock saws and #### on those who put out sluggish saws that require a couple hundred dollars of work to wake up.

Last edited:
awesome vids, just like being there, but unimpressed haha, my old 036 which I bet is a lot lighter and easier to wield around than these screeching red things, typical echo sound, you can hear the flat spot of weak lack of torque, the 036 stock with just a few extra holes in the muffler would cane their a$$es, in the real world after a serious one-month workout in the bush those red things will just overheat and seize into clattering junk hohohoho

Does that void the 5 year warranty because every body I talked to who has echo that is the reason they bought it Lol.

Does that void the 5 year warranty because every body I talked to who has echo that is the reason they bought it Lol.
This is a legitimate post and nothing intended..!!

Echo seems to favor some dealer over others...I don't know why..??

Some dealers can get warranty acceptable fixes..while other can't..why..I dunno..??

Sooo the Echo warranty is sort of like "rolling the dice"..maybe you win..maybe you lose.
:cheers:
J2F

I've had a few of those apart for repair work, and after a few years running them I think they left a little on the table with the gen 1 version. According to the Echo rep for my area the gen 2 version gets +10% hp and an aluminum top handle. I'd like to see if the difference between stock and modded is as pronounced with the gen 2 saw. When are you going to do a 500p, capped port cylinder, should be an easy one to hog out.?

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/188048.htm

That saw is smokin' fast. Looks lite and nimble, how did it handle and what was the weight on it if you have it? Nice job. Looks like its on par with an 044 AND in a 60cc package... very nice.

I'll get back with the weight.....

I think this thread sort of proves that some of the echo basing is justified. If there is that much unrealized potential in a stock saw that does not speak highly to echo's design work, unless its purely to meet EPA regs.

I will continue to maintain that the overwhelming majority of chainsaws in use are not ported. To consider a port essential for a saw is silly and does not speak highly of the original saw. Great if saws have unrealized potential, but if people have to void their illustrious 5 year warranty to get to that then in the scheme of things, this is not an ideal condition.

For the two porters in the thread to say that they're curious how the "durability" will work out over time is not all that comforting either. I'm sure the saw will last a while and dont doubt either of their abilities, but I don't think its wrong to commend the manufs who put out strong stock saws and #### on those who put out sluggish saws that require a couple hundred dollars of work to wake up.

The design is very good IMHO. I'm not sure why but the compression was WAY too low..........and the muffler is pretty stopped up.

I wouldn't want a stock one either.

awesome vids, just like being there, but unimpressed haha, my old 036 which I bet is a lot lighter and easier to wield around than these screeching red things, typical echo sound, you can hear the flat spot of weak lack of torque, the 036 stock with just a few extra holes in the muffler would cane their a$$es, in the real world after a serious one-month workout in the bush those red things will just overheat and seize into clattering junk hohohoho

I've never ran one of these for an extended period of time but I will say that they seem to be well made enough to last.

BTW my woods ported 036 would have a tough time with it. :)

Randy, your first post eluded to the fact that you think this is the best 60cc saw you have ever built. Is it the best Echo or the best of any of the brands as far as gains from the woods port go?

No chance of that happening. I don't care if you're an Echo fan or not. It is what it is.

Yeah Brad. My 036 is apart right now (I needed the parts) or I would love to do a comparo.........

I think my 036 would lose though. :)

Randy, your first post eluded to the fact that you think this is the best 60cc saw you have ever built. Is it the best Echo or the best of any of the brands as far as gains from the woods port go?

I feel like I got more gains from this 60cc saw than any I've built to date. The 359 Husky was in that spot..........until now.

Randy, you never fail to produce. Nice work, I wish you had the photos. Your comments of scratching your head has me wondering what you were looking at. Did you cut the combustion chamber and mill the bottom? 215 is a BIG number. I see you have been going big at first then raising the exhaust a bit to lower back into softer numbers, what is the timing on this one, if a trade secret Ill understand.

NICE WORK:msp_thumbup:

don't tell me it's better than a 562xp whats the side ways balance like lol

600p

Ididnt buy it for the waranty,,because I got it at a pawn shop,,,so wa was gone. It was as new in the box never had cut the first splinter,just figured for the price it could be made to be a real cutter,,,but ya never know about that,, I dont a little checking and found out Yama builds the engines,,, but be a brother to Yahama,,LOL,,and their RD work should be ov good design,,,as I ride one on the street and for a sport touring bike it almost flys,,not that I want it too. But getting back to the poor proframce stock ,, if one knew the truth, I would bet it has something to do with Emisions,,,as the companys are being held hostage by the EPA. Also I would like to thank Randy very much for all his hard work and I am really happy how it turned out,,, never had one modded before and didnt know if the 600p would come to life or not. Im not a timber man just cut a little fire wood and maybe a buddy of mine will go to a GTG here in Ohio and he can try it out on a stick or too. Anyway time will tell, but I sure would like to go and watch one of those GTG.:bowdown: Again hats off to Randy for a super job.
DB

Randy,
Great job as usual ! I own the 600p that Brad ported. I have cut a lot of firewood with it this last fall and I am still being impressed. The 500p you did for me at Christmas time is still running strong and is the first saw I grab for the smaller jobs I do. I couldn't be more happy ! I am really impressed with the quality work both you gentlemen do.

Some question the need for modding saws like these. After running the 600p before and after porting, there is no question in my mind that it was money well spent. I didn't have a chance to run the 500p before it was ported, but the video doesn't lie. It was a dog in stock, unaltered form. I guess if I had only one saw, I would think twice before porting. But lucky me, I have more than one saw. I don't make a living with a saw and I can afford to have some ported saws. Right, wrong or indifferent, it's my choice. It's all fun for me.

The one thing that I can honestly say is that I am not brand specific loyal. I like them all. I would never, and I mean never, be so careless as to slam other people's equipment. To make blind assumptions like PPG does when it comes to Echo saws is pathetic to say the least. Consistant yes, but very pathetic.

Randy,
I'm sure this is a great little running saw that spins chain like a raped date but man this thing looks like a cheap knock-off of a real saw to me. Can't quite put my finger on where but it just feels like every corner was cut on that thing to make it at a competative "price".

No I have never run one so I can't give a real oppinion of that but, nobody complains about the anti-vibe and wimpy filter until its on a Stihl.

Just sayin....

standing back with flame suit in hand.

Ididnt buy it for the waranty,,because I got it at a pawn shop,,,so wa was gone. It was as new in the box never had cut the first splinter,just figured for the price it could be made to be a real cutter,,,but ya never know about that,, I dont a little checking and found out Yama builds the engines,,, but be a brother to Yahama,,LOL,,and their RD work should be ov good design,,,as I ride one on the street and for a sport touring bike it almost flys,,not that I want it too. But getting back to the poor proframce stock ,, if one knew the truth, I would bet it has something to do with Emisions,,,as the companys are being held hostage by the EPA. Also I would like to thank Randy very much for all his hard work and I am really happy how it turned out,,, never had one modded before and didnt know if the 600p would come to life or not. Im not a timber man just cut a little fire wood and maybe a buddy of mine will go to a GTG here in Ohio and he can try it out on a stick or too. Anyway time will tell, but I sure would like to go and watch one of those GTG.:bowdown: Again hats off to Randy for a super job.
DB

Randy builds a wicked saw no matter the brand. He is a high caliber individual and his work is second to none. The only issue I have had with a build is my Dolly 120si came home with no sticker. Of course with the pace he's working at, we'll overlook a sticker now and then. I had that Dolly out today cutting. That saw filled the entire neighborhood with a sweet melody.

Randy, you never fail to produce. Nice work, I wish you had the photos. Your comments of scratching your head has me wondering what you were looking at. Did you cut the combustion chamber and mill the bottom? 215 is a BIG number. I see you have been going big at first then raising the exhaust a bit to lower back into softer numbers, what is the timing on this one, if a trade secret Ill understand.

NICE WORK:msp_thumbup:

I don't have any trade secrets. Everything I know about building saws I learned from you guys. :bowdown:

My numbers are on my notepad (I keep notes on every saw I build) in the shop. I'll post everything tomorrow.

DB

I was hoping you would show up Dennis. I've been trying to get more info on the Yamabiko (if I spelled it correctly) tag on the saw. I see nothing to cause me to think this saw will not last. It's tuned to 13,000-13,200 and I don't see the need to go any leaner. What is your elevation Dennis?

Latest posts

Back