Mastermind Meets The MS661 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So guys....who thinks the 661 will whip a ported 395 ? Not sure it will take the big husky.....or have more, grunt than a ported 2100. I know this is speculation at this point. I live 45 minutes from randy and the rain slacked off butttttttttttt......it is a muddy mess here. So speculate away ....lol.....just for fun and all;)

So, they are aware of the thread?

Obviously if they weren't before they are now! :)

Talking about the work you do, often knowing when to say enough is often the key. The factories are limited by both regulations and cost concerns so often there are gains to be made in their design. However at some point you can decide to throw away their design and use their components to whittle out something all new. Sometimes the results are fantastic, often they are ugly! Might work on a chainsaw but I remember factory race two-strokes from long ago with a powerband that was less than a thousand RPM. Those things got on the pipe hard and fell off it like a rock. At the time a handful of people in the world could actually use the potential that bike had. It won world championships and didn't stand a chance at local moto-crosses.

Takes a smarter man to work with a design than to just get out a grinder and start hogging metal away. I suspect I will be unable to resist the port bug sooner or later, also suspect you will be the first guy I send a saw to. Not that I don't think others on here and other places can do the job too, but you are forthright enough I know you work with the saw's design rather than trying to redesign it from the jump. Others might do the same but I can't be sure. Besides which, you are in the South! I hate the idea of sending a nice saw out the country to places like Ohio and such. Never know what can happen crossing the border.

Hu

So, they are aware of the thread?
Your a Star:rock:
Dateline....December 2013
Stihl tries out the internet to search for their new Head of research and development.
Following in the footsteps of popular talent shows,and modern trends, Stihl has hit the internet with all computers searching for the new star to head their research and development team.At first they were ridiculed for putting their reputation on the line looking for the unknown.
But again Stihl has shown they are a leader in their field.
After months of pouring over Utube vidios and reading thousands of threads they have found the winner.
They thought they might abandon the search when the popular chainsaw site Arboristsite was hacked.But after reviewing the information they had,and somehow their best candidate got his hands on their newest offering they decided they had all the info they needed to get the ball rolling on recruiting
Their first order was to get all the new model saws back.So if they can hire their candidate they can re release the saw the way it should have been.
Now the second hurdle is the biggest.It turns out that with all the bright minds at Stihl,they have never thought about hiring out of species.
Even though we are in the 22nd century,Stihl is lagging behind because their lack of any policies to hire a Chimp with a gun.But all minds are tackling the problem head on and are close to coming up with a solution.
They have invested heavily in Banana futures,carbide bits,pie and stuff.Oh yea they are getting all their jugs lined up for inspection.Plus they will want their cylinders looked at as well.
Stihl is holding their card close to their chest as to who the new phenom is,but his address gives you a nice warm feeling.Stay tuned for more.:popcorn:

Hey hey hey hey hey now!

Thought that would get some attention!

Nothing wrong with Ohio, it's the border crossing I'm scart of. A friend was born in Ohio. Of course once he came down here . . . What can I tell ya? I'm American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

Hu

Your a Star:rock:
Dateline....December 2013.
. . . . .
They have invested heavily in Banana futures,carbide bits,pie and stuff.Oh yea they are getting all their jugs lined up for inspection.Plus they will want their cylinders looked at as well.
Stihl is holding their card close to their chest as to who the new phenom is,but his address gives you a nice warm feeling.Stay tuned for more.:popcorn:

If he doesn't get a great offer by the end of January we will all have to scream species discrimination! Of course, I can't picture him taking the job unless they declared his shop the new Stihl R&D department. Oddly enough, close family has a German company wanting him to transfer to R&D involving a move to Germany. Ain't gonna happen! He helps them here and there but leave the South???

Hu

The guys at Stihl would be miles ahead of anything some guy can come up with in his backyard. :D

I just add a little to their design.......nothing new. If they make an engine, someone, somewhere with modify it. They are fully aware of that.

Randy,

The truth is you are probably doing almost exactly what the guys in R&D would do if they had a free hand. Some of the early proto-types would be fun to see if Stihl R&D gets the free hand in the early going that they used to get many places. That kinda stuff is probably just modeled on computer now and then hits the round file.

Hu

Well, Jon is modifying a Stihl bar to be able to run on a Husky with the same DL count as a Stihl. Normally, when you use an adapter to mount a Stihl bar on a Husky, the DL count must be increased. This way we can use the same chain on both powerheads.....should make testing fairer.

Now we have a video of the MS661 with the same chain that the 395XP was running. This is a square ground chain with no serious work. The gullets haven't even been cleaned out properly or anything.

12 minutes on the video....

The 395XP is about 25% faster.......I think I can catch it and pass it with the MS661. :)

Now we have a video of the MS661 with the same chain that the 395XP was running. This is a square ground chain with no serious work. The gullets haven't even been cleaned out properly or anything.

12 minutes on the video....

The 395XP is about 25% faster.......I think I can catch it and pass it with the MS661. :)

Wow you must of found major improvements to make in that 661 to make a statement like that!!!!

Latest posts

Back