Mastermind Meets The MS661 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now your talking brad! 36" es light is the only proper bar with a ported 661 to give as a package.:)

Now they are going to be ported too! Wow!

So I am bringing the bars? Ok, I will be right back. I need to see if someone giving away a 100 or so 36" es light bars in Terry's Christmas giveaway thread.

So, I had to swing by my local Stihl shop tonight to grab a part for my 046; figured I might as well ask if they'd had their hands on a 661 yet...

661 R in the wild. Damn this is a sexy saw!

YKqaUPy.jpg

UCIXTtV.jpg

Oh how I wish I had $1320 in my wallet :cry: :cry: :givebeer:

Are those pics photo shopped?- bc I can't imagine that a saw could look that perfect.

During windshield time today, I had convinced myself that I don't need another 90cc saw, and cannot justify. Leave it to someone to post some pics and completely take the voice of reason out of the equation. Now I can't see how I could possibly be happy without one. :laugh: Sign me up!:rock:

Hey Randy...have I sufficiently derailed your thread?:chop:

I believe if you had a caravan of wood trailers lining up, that would get it a bit more off the tracks.
Seems I keep readin' 'bout how He ain't got any logs around.
won't be anything to cook over without 'em.

maybe one day I'll catch a break in the change pocket and get to ride out for a GTG.

Guess I'll have to just continue to live vicariously through
the web.

Too bad it is recalled....

Take off the clutch cover, 3/4 wrap and spikes before they send it back.

Damn that saw is Big Mouth Billy Bass, BADASS!

I asked them if they had to send it back (it wasn't on the sales floor). He said nope, it wasn't going anywhere. I, for one, support that man's decision :rock: He was just hoping to sell the 660 on the shelf first.

He echoed what many have said, that Stihl is pretty tight lipped about these things. He mentioned the story he'd heard was a problem with some Australian saws and something about not being able to pinpoint where in the SN range it happened, hence the wider scale recall covering that potential range.

A bad batch in Oz? Heh heh heh... everywhere the Stihl shops are saying they are bad someplace else. Not in Germany, not in the UK, not in the states...

Good to see them showing up in the PNW though. What size bar does that have on it? I want one of those bar covers for my 28 inch...

This is the big questsoin,at what point in bar lenght will the ported 661C pull away from a ported 461.
My ported 461 will kill a stock 660 with a 28'' bar.
So what im saying is is it worth getting a ported 661,but i assume with a 36'' bar then things change ?.

A ported 661 will pull away from a ported 461 with any bar length. You just have to lean on it harder, gear it up with a bigger sprocket, or get more aggressive with your chains. If you let a saw "self feed" or cut on it's own then you'll probably find that the 461 will be a tad faster in small wood. I'm yet to see a similarly modified small saw outcut a large saw once you put a bit of muscle into it in any sized wood above 6".

Your ported 461 should flog a stock 660. If it didn't I'd get your money back :)

Stihl doesn't usually go backwards on new releases. If they are marketing the 661 as the replacement of the 660 (and not just another model in the lineup) then we have every reason to believe they are onto something with it.
260<261, 261<261cm, 441<441cm, 460<461, 660?661. The only one they went backwards on is the 361>362. I'd say it will respond very well- well enough to triumph over the 660. The only question is can it hang with a 395xp. 395xp has owned the top spot in the 90+cc bracket for a long time.

200T to the 201T was the biggest step back they made.

Latest posts

Back