Mastermind MS660R Kills Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wes is just hoping to hear from someone used used both......I get that.

But this the result of the lowest exhaust port of any jug I could find........it's a New West aftermarket jug. This saw was good for the fastest cut time of any saws that were at the build off, that told me all I needed to know about exhaust height.

Nope.......but raising the exhaust kills torque here. Why would it not kill torque there?

When I started modding saws everyone said raise the exhaust. How high I asked? Till you hit the squish band they said.

Wigglesworth and I spent a lot of time killing those ideas.

It does kill torque anywhere. Places that run full skip chain with the more efficient square ground cutter in softer wood probably just notice it as bad.

Wes is just hoping to hear from someone used used both......I get that.

But this the result of the lowest exhaust port of any jug I could find........it's a New West aftermarket jug. This saw was good for the fastest cut time of any saws that were at the build off, that told me all I needed to know about exhaust height.

At what point in that cut did you realize "Im a bad azz":buttkick: and your gonna win this buildoff? was it before it hit the wood? 10 sec in? 20 sec in? etc:D

:popcorn:

Why would anyone doubt one of the best saw builders around, that makes his liven building and porting, and testing saws?
you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.

I know, right? How dare I question someone on the internet? That's just crazy, right? It's almost as though I am not some sort of a sheep, let alone a bull's ass.

If you read it on the internet it's an irrefutable fact.

Dammit Wes, you know that.

I blame you.

Anywho. I am always amazed how defensive folks can be on the interwebs. I was more curious than anything if someone would notice much difference. I have a vid of a 372 running a 28" bar slicing through maple like butter. It's mostly doing it because it's using full skip square ground chain.

It does kill torque anywhere. Places that run full skip chain with the more efficient square ground cutter in softer wood probably just notice it as bad.

Yeah, I was thinking that. With full skip square and fir on a 28-32" bar, would most folks in the PNW notice?

I have cut a lot of wood in a lot of places and a lot of countries. It is amazing how different they can be, as any Aussie will tell you.

Having said that, the strongest saw I have ever ran for it's displacement was made by a builder from the PNW. But, he used a lot of compression. More than what Randy is comfortable with.

There will always be that difference between a Work Saw and a Competition Saw.

And Success is always sweater when you are modest going into it.

Square tooth should make it cut faster, but skip tooth will just make the chain go faster, not the cut speed. That is why it is usually used on long bars, to keep the saw from bogging down (or from chips clogging things up).

Nice avatar Reindeer, too bad that Irish Wolfhound was so effective at eliminating all the big critters on you patch of turf. We are fortunate that Teddy Roosevelt realized we had to preserve some things here, or I am sure we would have ended up in the same boat.

It'll be worth the wait Mike. I've lost count but I think Ive had 16 saws done by Randy since Jan 2012. Got 3 more in line right now.:rolleyes:

So tell me Steven, how happy am I going to be (I am really looking forward to it). I have never run a ported saw before, but I see we both have 044s.

I am also curios about if the biggest improvement will come from the "old tech" 044 or the "new tech" 362 C-M.

I think after the porting, cubes may win, but with the M-Tronic saw I won't have to be concerned about tuning.

There will always be that difference between a Work Saw and a Competition Saw.

And Success is always sweater when you are modest going into it.

Square tooth should make it cut faster, but skip tooth will just make the chain go faster, not the cut speed. That is why it is usually used on long bars, to keep the saw from bogging down (or from chips clogging things up).

Nice avatar Reindeer, too bad that Irish Wolfhound was so effective at eliminating all the big critters on you patch of turf. We are fortunate that Teddy Roosevelt realized we had to preserve some things here, or I am sure we would have ended up in the same boat.

I like a nice sweater. We call them 'jumpers' here. Well, I usually wear a jersey for a sweater. Anywho,

That's the point of skip chain. In much of the wood in the PNW, a full comp chain can load up if the rakers are low, and slow the chain and the cut due tot he fibers, the pinch, and the water content of the wood. In small trees, it's not a thing. But when you start pulling 32"+ bars on 70cc powerheads, every little helps. It basically allows more bar for less weight. Or, more bar for bigger trees on bigger saws.

Here's a couple vids I made with skip:

25"(84DL) full skip round ground in freshly storm fallen Beech in Ireland on a ported 361:

28"(93DL) full skip, square ground, stock 372xp + 1/2" muffler port through the bracket, buried in Big Leaf Maple in Oregon:

I will tell you right here and now, the Beech in the first vid would put an end to that nonsense you're seeing in the second vid ;)

The 372 is a lot stronger saw then the 361, and why would any one run ful skip on a 25in bar.

The 372 is a lot stronger saw then the 361, and why would any one run ful skip on a 25in bar.

That's the thing. It isn't stronger. The MS361 you see there is the stronger saw. That 372 isn't ported and has less than 160psi compression. That MS361 has over 200 PSI and lots of mods. Lots...

Almost forgot the skip part. That was mostly to compare the two vids and saws. I usually run full comp on the 361 in hardwoods and skip in softwoods. It is faster buried with skip in both wood, but much less smooth in hardwoods with skip. And almost dangerous for limbing since I have it set up with low rakers normally for Spruce, which is what we mainly log here.

I read on the interwebs a 660 stihl won't cut a tree down ,for that you needed a 395
I like a nice sweater. We call them 'jumpers' here. Well, I usually wear a jersey for a sweater. Anywho,

That's the point of skip chain. In much of the wood in the PNW, a full comp chain can load up if the rakers are low, and slow the chain and the cut due tot he fibers, the pinch, and the water content of the wood. In small trees, it's not a thing. But when you start pulling 32"+ bars on 70cc powerheads, every little helps. It basically allows more bar for less weight. Or, more bar for bigger trees on bigger saws.

Here's a couple vids I made with skip:

25"(84DL) full skip round ground in freshly storm fallen Beech in Ireland on a ported 361:

28"(93DL) full skip, square ground, stock 372xp + 1/2" muffler port through the bracket, buried in Big Leaf Maple in Oregon:

I will tell you right here and now, the Beech in the first vid would put an end to that nonsense you're seeing in the second vid ;)

that 361 sounds pissed off :laugh:

Latest posts

Back