Mcculloch 610 worth buying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a McCulloch Dealer when the 610 - 650 came out. ( also a Stihl dealer ).
I purchased a OPE business from a widow and the man was a dealer for these brands. [ 1975 ]

I can't remember what year the 610 series came out but at that time I was selling 6-7 Macs to one Stihl because of the price difference and Stihl was fairly new to the area.
I sold 43 610s the 2nd year they were out and not to many complaints. They were heavy but had a decent price.

Wasn't too long though, until my main saw sales were Stihl and McCulloch sales went to almost nothing.

Richard, you hit the nail on the head as to the question of how Mac sold so many of those damn things. They had more then a "decent" price, they were downright cheap compared to the compition at that time.

Another reason is your location. Not alot of big woods around, and you have a lot of cheap farmers and weekend firewood cutters for the main customer base. Alot of Mac dealers in our area were also tractor dealers which put alot of them in the farmers, etc hands and up till that time the Macs were good saws, so that reputation helped sell them along as well.

The Mac guys dont like em called POS, but the sad thruth is that there very little more then that.

Richard, you hit the nail on the head as to the question of how Mac sold so many of those damn things. They had more then a "decent" price, they were downright cheap compared to the compition at that time.

Another reason is your location. Not alot of big woods around, and you have a lot of cheap farmers and weekend firewood cutters for the main customer base. Alot of Mac dealers in our area were also tractor dealers which put alot of them in the farmers, etc hands and up till that time the Macs were good saws, so that reputation helped sell them along as well.

The Mac guys dont like em called POS, but the sad thruth is that there very little more then that.

hey mark! i'm a mac guy and i'll still call them a turd:hmm3grin2orange: they werent really bad, but compared to other macs and other saws, they were turds. cheap turds:msp_smile:

Thats Nice.

I was a McCulloch Dealer when the 610 - 650 came out. ( also a Stihl dealer ).
I purchased a OPE business from a widow and the man was a dealer for these brands. [ 1975 ]

I can't remember what year the 610 series came out but at that time I was selling 6-7 Macs to one Stihl because of the price difference and Stihl was fairly new to the area.
I sold 43 610s the 2nd year they were out and not to many complaints. They were heavy but had a decent price.

Wasn't too long though, until my main saw sales were Stihl and McCulloch sales went to almost nothing.

Its nice to hear a few OK comments on the 600 series saws. I remember ( back then ) I was 30 and tickled about the sales I made of them and also the power mac 6 was a popular trimming saw for the local REMC and others.
I was not even exposed to ( Husqvarna ) and Stihl was new to people in my 10,000 pop town in 1975
Husqvarna is a great saw and I have; 345, 353, 359, a 50 special thats like new and several others in various stages of repair.

There have been and continue to be plenty of homes heated by MAC 610's. No, they're not sexy, light, or terribly smooth. Compared to the modern generation of saws, they're kind of archaic. If a person did not know something newer existed, they would say things like, sturdy, reliable, and smooth. They are alot smoother than the non-AV saws that preceded them. Worth $75? Maybe/maybe-not. Where else are you going to get a 60cc machine that can comfortably run a 20" bar all day, and 24" in a pinch (and put out enough oil for it) all for $75? There may be better options, but VERY few at the $75 mark. There have been a couple of those (extremely nice) sell on Ebay with fancy descriptions for nearly $400 !!!!! Those were not even NOS ones, just mint runners.

Mark,
You are right but , several of those farmers that people thought would go broke are rich today.

There have been and continue to be plenty of homes heated by MAC 610's. No, they're not sexy, light, or terribly smooth. Compared to the modern generation of saws, they're kind of archaic. If a person did not know something newer existed, they would say things like, sturdy, reliable, and smooth. They are alot smoother than the non-AV saws that preceded them. Worth $75? Maybe/maybe-not. Where else are you going to get a 60cc machine that can comfortably run a 20" bar all day, and 24" in a pinch (and put out enough oil for it) all for $75? There may be better options, but VERY few at the $75 mark. There have been a couple of those (extremely nice) sell on Ebay with fancy descriptions for nearly $400 !!!!! Those were not even NOS ones, just mint runners.

Yeah they put out some oil, when the oilers worked and that wasnt all the time. :hmm3grin2orange:

Lots of ign problems with them that I have seen as well.

There crap really....

Haters gotta hate!

I'll take all the 600 series saws you guys have and I'll even pay the shipping so send 'em over!

179768d1302619227-bust-jpg

Oops, wrong picture!

194334d1313336164-pm610a-jpg

Haters gotta hate!

I'll take all the 600 series saws you guys have and I'll even pay the shipping so send 'em over!

179768d1302619227-bust-jpg

Oops, wrong picture!

194334d1313336164-pm610a-jpg

What town does she work in and how do I become a repeat offender? The bar and chain on that saw are worth more than the saw.

Yeah they put out some oil, when the oilers worked and that wasnt all the time. :hmm3grin2orange:

Lots of ign problems with them that I have seen as well.

There crap really....

I would have been insulted if you didn't chime in. I know you hate 'em Mark. There have been oiler problems, ignition problems (all of those -10, 800/850, and 605/610/650 electronic coils actually, and the plastic starter spools like to grenade too. A decent one can make a pretty large pile of firewood, though. That said, I really don't take 610's in anymore unless they're free. I will repair them for others, though. Carb kit, fuel line, and jump-start on the oil pump is usually all they need.

Haters gotta hate!

Ok, being the nice guy that I am here are two near me.

mcculloch pro mac 610
Chainsaw

If there that good $200 should be a steal for one. Just send me the money and I'll pick them both up and send em to you. Dont forget the shipping charges will add up though, for as much as they weigh you could probably UPS a Chevy truck for the same amount! ;)

I would have been insulted if you didn't chime in. I know you hate 'em Mark. There have been oiler problems, ignition problems (all of those -10, 800/850, and 605/610/650 electronic coils actually, and the plastic starter spools like to grenade too. A decent one can make a pretty large pile of firewood, though. That said, I really don't take 610's in anymore unless they're free. I will repair them for others, though. Carb kit, fuel line, and jump-start on the oil pump is usually all they need.

You know what Tim? Hate is such a strong word!

I wouldnt say hate is the right word, feel sorry for them maybe would be a better word.

If someone likes em, thats fine with me though. I had a good friend once that only dated fat chicks, said they needed lovin too. I guess the 610s do also. :laugh:

Ok, being the nice guy that I am here are two near me.

mcculloch pro mac 610
Chainsaw

If there that good $200 should be a steal for one. Just send me the money and I'll pick them both up and send em to you. Dont forget the shipping charges will add up though, for as much as they weigh you could probably UPS a Chevy truck for the same amount! ;)

Hey Mark, I'll just send you a bank check for $1400. You cash it and ship the saws to me. You can keep the extra for your troubles. :yoyo:

Yeah, I'd pay $75 if it was in good shape. My 3420 is the same as the 55cc PM605, and is in regular service - will be more so now with the 24" Powermatch bar I put on. Everything Mark says may be true in the context of the time they were sold: They're heavy, they're wide and the oilers go. But they work, and they were inexpensive. Replacing the oil pump is an easy 15min job if you take your time, they're under the air filter cover. I only had time to try 6 cuts in red oak, full bar some with knots and some without. It pulled it just fine, and I'm sure the 60cc version would do better. It oiled the bar OK, but I adjusted it for a more output if it will do it. Nothing got hot. While it's heavy, I like the feel of it anyway and it's no big deal when bucking up logs. I'll be putting a lot of time on mine in the coming months cutting up mostly large oaks. I think a saw capable of doing that is worth $75.

Good ones go for way more than they are worth on evilbay. No accounting for some people's taste. About 4-5 pounds overweight for 60cc.

I paid 60 USD for one once. But, it was in mint shape and 13 parts saws came with it. (I made seven of them run.)

The last two a sold went for well over $100 on ebay, one went for almost $200. The last few Stihls that I sold didn't go for that much and they were runners. I haven't figured the buyers out yet.

Latest posts

Back