McCulloch 640 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCulloch Man

Reaction score
I am in the process of fully rebuilding my McCulloch 640 Chainsaw. I have an issue where I need to reseal the two piece gas tank.

Have any of you had success with any of the commercially available multi-step processes to strip, etch and re-seal/line the gas tank? How did you plug off the fuel outlet and/or cap (or did you)? Because it’s a two piece tank, did you work on the halves individually or together? If you worked on it together is there a way you did so without wasting a fuel tank gasket?

Your insight is much appreciated!
👊
Thanks!

Welcome to AS.

Post your question in the McCulloch stickie. Lot of posts about tank repair there.

Our resident expert is out with a family death, but there are others who can help you.

Ron

Tha
I am in the process of fully rebuilding my McCulloch 640 Chainsaw. I have an issue where I need to reseal the two piece gas tank.

Have any of you had success with any of the commercially available multi-step processes to strip, etch and re-seal/line the gas tank? How did you plug off the fuel outlet and/or cap (or did you)? Because it’s a two piece tank, did you work on the halves individually or together? If you worked on it together is there a way you did so without wasting a fuel tank gasket?

Your insight is much appreciated!
👊
Thanks!
Thanks Ron, I will move over there.
👍

I have used POR15 on each half separately, but if I were doing one today I would clean up both 1/2's, assemble the tank, and give it the Red Kote treatment.

DSCN0373.jpg

Gearbox too

DSCN0397.jpg

DSCN0398.jpg

DSC07111.JPG

I used some plastic plug for the smaller openings, and just used a piece of a poly bag over the fuel cap, ends up being pretty messy.

Mark

Back