McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for either a complete mac 10 series with the flat airfilter and all external carb adjustments or just the complete fuel tank/ handle/air cleaner assembly. I am trying to upgrade my 10-10 filter and have external carb adjustments. if anyone has one they will part with let me know what you want for it.

I know someone has one under a bench someware:laugh:

thanks 6-10. good luck on your hunt. maybe i'll fab a reed from a cheap putty knife or something. any one got one of these reeds ?

going to get it going, one way or another....
attachment.php

I'm looking for either a complete mac 10 series with the flat airfilter and all external carb adjustments or just the complete fuel tank/ handle/air cleaner assembly. I am trying to upgrade my 10-10 filter and have external carb adjustments. if anyone has one they will part with let me know what you want for it.

I know someone has one under a bench someware:laugh:

I'll check the pile. I'm sure there's several in there. It will be a couple days before I get home.

while waiting on parts to get the PM700 i just got going, i noticed what may be a broken edge of some metal up inside the muffler. did this have some kind of a reed in there ? is it necessary ? does it quiet it much ?

I don't have the proper muffler for it or replacement reeds. I do however have this 10-10 muffler that will fit it. You're welcome to it.

View attachment 312355 it is stainless,which is pretty tough. hope it's not too stiff. will keep an eye out for other materials until the 'real' thing comes along.

joeymt33- thanks for looking.i got a temporary fix. while at the thrift store i found an icing spatula that mikes out at .026 " so i cut the tip off and made a reed out of it, for now. the stock one is .022". the prices on ebay are :dizzy:
i'll keep an eye out for some thinner stock.
talk about 'tuning' a saw.

Last edited:
I've often wondered, what purpose does the exhaust reed serve anyways? I understand the intake reed, they are quite necessary. The exhaust reed just seems like a restriction. Can someone enlighten me? I imagine there's a simple explanation but I've never asked nor took the time to research it before.

So random to you mcculloch collectors found a I-50 at work yesterday motor was seized though so I just left it to get scrapped, though googled it and was made for one year would have made a nice mantal piece but still

I've often wondered, what purpose does the exhaust reed serve anyways? I understand the intake reed, they are quite necessary. The exhaust reed just seems like a restriction. Can someone enlighten me? I imagine there's a simple explanation but I've never asked nor took the time to research it before.

Jim, I've wondered about this as well. For exactly the same reasons. IMHO, the exhaust reed serves no 'special' purpose that I can see for (1) the metal is very rigid, with no flex at all and (2) if exhaust reeds were the 'hot' setup, why weren't other manufacturers doing it? It is not unusual for a Mac 10 Series model to have had 2 - 3 different mufflers models during the production run.

Does a saw with an exhaust reed lack an intake reed? If this is the case it might allow more intake charge in and the exhaust side is the valve?

IIRC, there were early Mac models that had both intake/exhaust reeds.

Maybe some of our thread denizens with more engineering insight can help us out a bit.

Good question - hope someone has the answer!

Jim, I've wondered about this as well. For exactly the same reasons. IMHO, the exhaust reed serves no 'special' purpose that I can see for (1) the metal is very rigid, with no flex at all and (2) if exhaust reeds were the 'hot' setup, why weren't other manufacturers doing it? It is not unusual for a Mac 10 Series model to have had 2 - 3 different mufflers models during the production run.

IIRC, there were early Mac models that had both intake/exhaust reeds.

Maybe some of our thread denizens with more engineering insight can help us out a bit.

I don't think I've ever seen a reed valve (intake) McCulloch engine that had a reed type muffler. The reed type muffler was purely for noise control. The engines run fine (but louder) with the reed removed. The reed mufflers seem to take some of the 'sharpness' out of the 10-series exhaust note.

I've only seen those on the 10-series saws (which are all piston port intake types). The early gear drive Macs were all rotary (disc) intake valve types, and they didn't have reed mufflers.

Latest posts

Back