McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You two got's it right. another 797G
I built my first one back in 08 i believe and it was a great project
as well as never ever hearing of one. Since then i have built 4 and
have found 3 others that were built back in the day of serious
logging. This one has done some work. The good, It has a good
looking piston but i'm sure the rings a worn so this saw will probably
get a restoration in the future.

Lee

You two got's it right. another 797G
I built my first one back in 08 i believe and it was a great project
as well as never ever hearing of one. Since then i have built 4 and
have found 3 others that were built back in the day of serious
logging. This one has done some work. The good, It has a good
looking piston but i'm sure the rings a worn so this saw will probably
get a restoration in the future.

Lee

Nice to see some luck turning your way, Uncle Lee. :msp_flapper:

Hmm .. wonder if my 895 scheduled to arrive next week will turn out this way? I'm guessing not.

Nice to see some luck turning your way, Uncle Lee. :msp_flapper:

Hmm .. wonder if my 895 scheduled to arrive next week will turn out this way? I'm guessing not.

Ya never know buddy. Where is it coming from.
If the PNW you may have a good chance. I've
bought 3 that had the 797 motor. One of which
i knew it had the other two were a total surprise.

Uncle Lee

Mark, I am praying for your son. Praying for you and Mrs. H. I know a sick child no matter their age (or size) can really tear at the heart. Glad to hear that he is improving. Ron

Mark I hope he'll make a full recovery and be back to sawing with you in no time.

Hope everything works out Mark. I know how it is to be in your situation.

On the other hand I believe I'm fubared. My 10-10 did something funky. Bogged down reved high and seized. Was't really hot more at operating temp. I've let it sit and havn't messed with it since it quit. If it is I know it will prob need rings which aren't impossible to get and the replacement isn't that hard. But I do have a line on a right hand 10-10. Will have to see which way will be the best. And bad part is have a big job in a week. Luckly I have a backup saw. This just isn't my year.

We didn't make the trip to Iowa City yesterday so I managed to spend a little time in the shop. We will go for a visit today, surgery is scheduled for tomorrow to close up the wound, then maybe released next Tuesday. Plans have changed and I won't be going to Brasil as had been originally planned (changed on the other end, I was still available...) so we will probably bring him home with us for a few days to help him on the road to recovery since he is a bachelor, can't leave him to his own cooking and cleaning...

I did get started cleaning and checking the recent CP70 acquisition. I had noticed one muffler bolt missing when I took it apart, discovered the remnants of the broken bolt in the hole, low and behold I was able to utilize the LH drill bit and screw extractor and get it out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The older saws used three screws to hold the oil pump in place, I will try to take advantage of this to build some kind of jig or template to allow me to add those two extra hole in some other oil tanks to make the automatic pump seal more positively.

attachment.php

The muffler rattling around rubbed the cylinder fins a bit, should still work O.K.

attachment.php

Q.C. let a few casting imperfections get through, notice the incomplete filling of the top couple of fins.

attachment.php

For those of you not familiar with the 10 Series CP saws, they were an early version of the anti-vibe models by McCulloch. I have a CP55 that I really enjoy using for smaller stuff as well as a "spare" on the shelf just in case. I also have one CP70 on hand already that runs but has really been run a lot and is way down on compression and power. I am hoping to make this one a nice runner and perhaps make it my go to 70 cc saw.

Mark

For those that were interested in the 10 Series "dome" filters with the rubber edges, I found 5 in the attic.

cobey, ThistleIA, cowroy, machinetx all expressed an interest. Please PM with you name & address and I will try to get them packed up and shipped out next week.

I will be staying home (no trip to Brasil after all!) and working in the shop when we aren't running to Iowa City to fetch Jeff home.

Mark

I found a retired Mac dealer today. He has a pretty good supply of NOS parts. He has everything in large dusty boxes in a pole building, it may take awhile to go through things. He's an older guy and seems easy to deal with and wants to sell. I brought home these NOS bars. I'll be going back in a couple days with a little more money.

IMG_9835.jpg

[video=youtube;qORsk6wGlDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qORsk6wGlDY#t=3[/video]

Opl

finally ready to try the pm700 i got last week. i put in the new OPL that made the throttle lock work. i noticed a screw on the catch. does that adjust the amount of throttle on lock ? which way to increase ?
that wire on the trigger is an attempt ot keep the linkage in the hole. it wants to pop out due to wear and the elastic holding the choke and throttle linkages together.

attachment.php

also made a reed for the muffler. the first one, left of stub, was .025" ss from a spatula. stainless seemed too stiff . the stock one was .022". so i made one from a dulled saw blade i had, right of stub.. it went .019" and was tempered steel, had a nice ring/spring to it.

attachment.php

mark- good pics of the cp70. i take it the pm700 is an earlier member of the 10 series too ? what was the reason for the left hand drill ?
thanks for the help
allyn

PM700 was the latest of the 70cc ten series. Left hand drill is so you won't be further tightening the broken screw as you drill it. Sometimes it will actually loosen the screw enough you won't need an extractor. Ron

+1 on the LH drill, every once in a while the LH drill will back the broken screw out.

Actually there was a PM 4300 that was the last of the 70 cc 10 Series but who's counting?

I really like using my CP55, hope the CP70 is as much fun to operate once I get it done. The anti-vibe on the CP55 is pretty nice to use. I like my 7-10 as well, very zippy and all but the vibration does get tiresome.

Jeff's surgery to close the wound from the earlier infection removal went well today, he will have to spend at least four days to make sure the skin grafts take. We should be able to retrieve him from the hospital next Wednesday.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers and well wishes, everything certainly seems to be very positive at this point.

Mark

+1 on the LH drill, every once in a while the LH drill will back the broken screw out.

Actually there was a PM 4300 that was the last of the 70 cc 10 Series but who's counting?

I really like using my CP55, hope the CP70 is as much fun to operate once I get it done. The anti-vibe on the CP55 is pretty nice to use. I like my 7-10 as well, very zippy and all but the vibration does get tiresome.

Jeff's surgery to close the wound from the earlier infection removal went well today, he will have to spend at least four days to make sure the skin grafts take. We should be able to retrieve him from the hospital next Wednesday.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers and well wishes, everything certainly seems to be very positive at this point.

Mark

Oops, I forgot about the rebadge. Good to hear your son is still improving. Ron

Back