McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would fix the 610 and use it instead of the 10-10 on that bigger stuff, assuming it's a strong runner. It's a lot heavier, but it ought to cut a little faster, and you won't be stressing it as much.

I understand, a sp80, sp81, or pm850 would not be much heavier but have a lot more power. There's a good reason why I've picked those as my favorite as well as others.

7-10a or pm700. Can be had affordably enough and are as bulletproof as a 10-10. Plus, once you pick one up, your 10-10 will become a parts saw (no disrespect to the 10-10!).

True Mark. Even if I have to eventually put rings in it it does run. I'll break the 610 down swap out parts and run it tomorrow with the skip chain and see what it does.

If it's got good compression, you won't need skip chain on a 20" bar. I've got full comp 16" on one of mine(175psi) and I can dog it in and put a fair bit of pressure on it with the bar buried. I wouldn't hesitate to run 20" full comp on it. My uncle runs 24" full comp on his.

Last edited:
All I have is the skip and eventually when I can get caught up I'm gonna look for a 24" bar. Getting a decent chain around me is like pullin teeth this summer alone I went through at least 10 chains. Either I knocked a tooth completely off or couldn't sharpen it anymore. The skip has lasted a full month of pretty much constant cutting and havn't needed to sharpen it just touch it up. Everyone here swears by oregon brand.

All I have is the skip and eventually when I can get caught up I'm gonna look for a 24" bar. Getting a decent chain around me is like pullin teeth this summer alone I went through at least 10 chains. Either I knocked a tooth completely off or couldn't sharpen it anymore. The skip has lasted a full month of pretty much constant cutting and havn't needed to sharpen it just touch it up. Everyone here swears by oregon brand.

I don't even try buying chains locally anymore unless I need it right then. Even after shipping, I come out a few dollars ahead on 16 and 20 inch loops of 3/8". Sometimes the site sponsors here are cheaper and sometimes non sponsors are cheaper. Seems to depend on size and type of chain. I've been debating on getting a roll of chain and a breaker/spinner set since I have a lot of saws that use 3/8".

.629153, member: 115233"]I don't have an 840....Hopefully someday though.:cool:[/quote]

53, member: 115233"]I don't have an 840....Hopefully someday though.:cool:[/quote]
I don't have an 840....Hopefully someday though.:cool:

I thought you said where you got your saw recently they had an 840 for sale?

I haven't been on this site in awhile but wanted to hear what you guys thought of the filter and spike I made up for my 10-10
ehu3e2y3.jpg
2ezebury.jpg
6u3epyne.jpg
bynyge7u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spikes are interesting gotta ask why the filter if you need an af cover I have a few and I'm sure a few others have some. Seems to me it's in the way of the handle. But it is nice.

I have the air filter cover and filter, just wanted to try something out and the filter is sorta in the way but that doesn't bother me much only part with it is the choke linkage wouldn't fit with the bottom filter plate so you gotta turn the butterfly by hand, here it is with the old filter setup after falling a small cedar
yhy6unub.jpg
enabaman.jpg

Ok it don't like my 610 pic oh well. Realy if the 10-10 is tuned in right all you need the choke for is that first pop after that it should start pretty easy least mine does even when it's really cold outside. Took me awile to get the carb just right.

If I could just find a set of bearings, a piston, and rings for my Pro Mac 700 I would put it back together in a heartbeat.

I have a Timber Bear that has a broken oiler(broke off where it oils the chain) and another Timber Bear that has an HDB-6B. I used ethanol gas in that HDB-6B and the let it sit over the summer. The passages on the HDB-6B have been soaked in carb cleaner, toulene, zylene, and even some concentrated acetic acid. It will not flow fuel. If I could find a pair of rebuildable Tillotson HK's or a rebuildable pair of Zama C2's off a 610 and then the oiler, I would fix them. I assume the C2 or HK that came on the 610's won't require me to change out the throttle unit.

Sadly, all the Mccullochs in my area are gone, and I've looked for the bearings for the 700 to be posted on Ebay since 2011.

Yeah the 10-10 starts easily, the filter is just PVC with holes drilled in it and the material is sticky back felt wrapped around the PVC, so far nothing has gotten past it, haven't ran it with the 16" in awhile been pulling a 20" with a "sharp" chain here lately
u7y3uqy5.jpg
yvyta4u3.jpg

bigv i have the 610 parts. I know for sure I have a carb running around and I have a front tank that the flywheel cover mounting holes need to be drilled out. Ethanol is the killer to chainsaws you wont get that crap out that carb. ask heimannm for the 700 parts he should have or know where to get.

lumberjack if you can find it the 10-10 can theoretically run up to a 28" bar. I've seen a 30" listed for it. And note I said theoretically.

Back