McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly this is Marilyn Monroe in 1944... isn't this a McCulloch drone engine she's wrenching on?

d65402db-9f34-47c2-aae7-e7b23848e30b.jpg

Anything over 100 PSI and most of the old reed valve engines will run. They may not be as strong as they once were, but run...yes.

Try giving is a shot of mix right down the throat of the carburetor then pulling it over with the throttle held wide open, it should at least fire for a second or two. Sometimes it takes 3 or more attempts like this before the carburetor starts pulling fuel.

Mark

P.S. I do have a few parts and parts saws but I am getting stingy in my old age.

Well now that I have my Mac 700 running good I looked it over real well.
It's got the usual 20 lbs of oil soaked dust

No bar plates

And mongo must have used a cheater bar to tighten the bar nuts. The area where they meet the clutch cover is literally concaved.!!!!good grief!!!

Never seen that one before.

And I must not forget the chain
Once running I ATTEMPTED to put it in a log to see how it did with a load.
My bad here .... Didn't even look at the chain. It was so trashed that it just sat atop the test log and smoked. Not kidding! Must have used it to demo something awful nasty. Poor saw

Still only external issues. Somehow the old tank stood up to the abuse and with some tlc will be ready to get back to work!

Last time I was over at the local shop a fellow came in with 2 saws. One was a Husky 61 he needed a few small parts for. The other was a Mac Double Eagle 80 that needed a good cleaning and some tlc, was in ok shape but not perfect. Had a 24" sprocket nose bar with no chain, the chain brake flag was zip-tied to the wrap handle, and the av mounts seemed like they have had better days. According to him, he last had it running a year ago. Said he would sell it but had no idea what it was worth, he paid $60 for it. He asked me and the shop owner what it would be worth, I offered him $75-85, if it ran, $150 because of the shape it was in. He thought "it would be worth at least $300" and that it "can sit on the garage shelf for $85". Me and the shop owner tried to tell him to the right person, in the right shape it would be worth that much. But this saw needed he wouldn't have any part of it and thanked us for our help. The PM800 the shop owner had for sale recently he had it for $150, it in better shape but part of the clutch cover was missing over the muffler. What do you folks think about this?

I posted this over in SH but I'll share it here as well.

I've been busy over the past year and haven't been as active as in the past. However, I needed to make a mail box post for my father today and thought I should share a few pics.

True 6x6 and 8' long beam in the pics

1a66125d99f74b971876b2d86d2b5c15.jpg

e09813d212430fc76bd58815ca7b190b.jpg

841cb78c3da2740df58726988daa0967.jpg

The saw cut super easy. We pushed it very hard and it cut that length in probably 45 seconds or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the Oregon 3/8 milling chain. I forgot the part number but it works good. I've milled red oak, white oak, cherry, and now cedar. It cuts pretty quick and smooth as long as I don't push it too hard.

It's the Oregon 3/8 milling chain. I forgot the part number but it works good. I've milled red oak, white oak, cherry, and now cedar. It cuts pretty quick and smooth as long as I don't push it too hard.

Thank you sir. I plan to mill with mine at some point

Got my 850 off craigslist for 20$ not running. Best deal I've had so far.

Picked up a 700 recently and used it for firewood this weekend. WOW WOW WOW

That's great to hear.

Have you ran the 850 yet? Because if you're impressed with the 700, you'll be amazed with the 850.

That's great to hear.

Have you ran the 850 yet? Because if you're impressed with the 700, you'll be amazed with the 850.

Oh yes. After a deep clean, carb rebuild etc. she fired right up. The next weekend my bro had a 32" maple dropped at his place. My 850 and his 440 Magnum made quick work of a huge tree. With the bar completely buried she just kept digging and clawing !!! When we were done I reminded my bro that I gave 20$ for my saw and just cause I'm ornery I asked him "now how much did you give for yours " I quit cussing years ago so I can't tell what he said.

Hey guys, Man have not been on here in a few years. Anyways just finished up my SP-81. It has the non adjustable high speed carb on her. Does it sound ok? Or should I go ahead and slap a carb from a 10-10 on it? Thanks

It actually sounds really good to me. I've always thought they were too rich with the fixed high jet carb. Maybe there's something in the video where I can't here the 4 stroking in the cut.

About the 10-10 carb, they have a small venturi so you'll need a different carb.

Also, with that long bar you would want it to be rich.

Latest posts

Back