McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here I thought I was pushing the envelope by running .404 on my PM800 and I see on eBay factory packaged drums and sprockets for the SP80 in .404 including an 8 pin no less! It appears that McCulloch was more optimistic than me.

Ron

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mcculloch-...057266?hash=item4d72b6b0f2:g:iLoAAOSwnHZYjhFU

The .404 cuts very nice but I don't think a 8 pin sprocket would do Brian

I’ve got a few with 404 chain. I also like it a lot. One of them is a 20” bar with 8 pin sprocket and it’s a great casual use saw and I reach for it a lot.

I do agree that 8 pin 404 is a little much if the bar gets longer. My 20” cuts great and I’m sure a 24” would be ok too but past that I personally would stay with 7 pin.

Well guys what a great place for learning all things mac I have read the last 200 pages and other bits here and there(is that weird?) oh and the "other site" too after asking a dumb question haha.

Any way Ive got a late pro mac 10-10 no points here in bits it ran but bog all compression. Ive found a tired old lady of a cylinder with a nice little groove from carbon from the exhaust port up :(

The questions are... drum roll...
How many psi's will scoot past if I use it.ball park? Its got very warn rings and a huge ring gap. Is the low compression from the rings or the groove mostly?

Ok what im realy asking is will it go ok with new piston n rings or flag it and get a good used cylinder. I have a pm800 in the post so dont want to throw away all my saw money yet haha

Attachments

• 20180508_194321.jpg
    20180508_194321.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Worn rings will hurt the saw's performance a lot more than that groove (which will more than likely fill with carbon eventually anyway). If the piston is still usable I'd just re-ring and see how it runs. If not, I would probably just replace the piston and rings before also committing to a new cylinder.

Yea mostly except chinese goods somehow they do it for free. A used 10-10 piston crank and cylinder is 150ish nz shipped or 90 odd for a piston alone and 60 for rings. Not too over the top I geuss. I had a vintage 2stroke mower rebored a while back for 100bux just to keep the original block with it normal people dont do that sorta thing my wife says haha. Anyway im rambling. Good old stuff costs time and money and but its enjoyment I have a 1973 victa that still gets used every week original everything dam neer half a century and still go's.. macs seem built the same kinda way and built to last.

Yea mostly except chinese goods somehow they do it for free. A used 10-10 piston crank and cylinder is 150ish nz shipped or 90 odd for a piston alone and 60 for rings. Not too over the top I geuss. I had a vintage 2stroke mower rebored a while back for 100bux just to keep the original block with it normal people dont do that sorta thing my wife says haha. Anyway im rambling. Good old stuff costs time and money and but its enjoyment I have a 1973 victa that still gets used every week original everything dam neer half a century and still go's.. macs seem built the same kinda way and built to last.
Our family stateside was visited for couple days by a ( I guess ) well know sci-fi writer. This being about 20 yrs ago, I cannot remember her name. But I do recall her talking about N. Z., and the stories. No point to this, just a rambling. Or a Muse.

Our family stateside was visited for couple days by a ( I guess ) well know sci-fi writer. This being about 20 yrs ago, I cannot remember her name. But I do recall her talking about N. Z., and the stories. No point to this, just a rambling. Or a Muse.
I wonder who that was? Nothing rong with the odd ramble here n there.

The man in the red van dropped a pm800 off for me 2day its kind of tatty but still nice seems to have good compression when turning the flywheel.
Needs a starter housing though and im having trouble finding a source.
Are these hard to find or am I not looking hard enough?. Has anyone adapted a
10-10 style starter? It seems to bolt up and need a bit of a grind around the muffler and swap the starter shaft or am i missing somthing here? 20180510_215058.jpg 20180510_224554.jpg .

Latest posts

Back