McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here she is, first real test cuts. The oiler is working well both auto and manual.
Do you guys think I am off on my tuning? I feel like the saw should be faster than this but I dont want to burn it up either. Maybe it is the stock chain.
I honestly was underwhelmed by the PM700 too the other day. I blamed that on an overly aggressive chain but now I'm wondering if I've lost my ear for tuning lol.
My Husqvarna 350 with 346xp top end would spank both of them in 20inch wood I'm pretty sure.
Now on the other hand, I have a 10-10 that just straight rips, I just dont know. Anyway, too late now to fiddle with things, will have to wait for another day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My pm800 spun on the taper a bit. Heard a odd noise 1 day thought it was clutch slip. When I changed the rim sure enough it had spun and injured the crank a bit :( have tightened it up and used it a heap since with no issues so far but suspect it will bite me again 1 day and may need a crank or a skim on the lathe perhaps. Was thinking even grinding paste and work at it with the clutch maybe.

Everyone doing ok?

Nice 81 Kevin:)

Maint sup it was me with the hat that scored a mac. It was my hard hat n was using it at work the draughtsman saw it and yeah he had a pm10-10 in his mother in laws shed that he was sorting after hubby died. Was headed for the dump too.

Never thought of asking a clean clothed soft hand desk guy about saws but there ya go.

Dam nice 10-10 too the old boy had it new.

Thanks Jethro, I have a miss firing photo graphic memory , I remember most of what I see just some detail is usually left out or backwards.
You working on anything?

Well here she is, first real test cuts. The oiler is working well both auto and manual.
Do you guys think I am off on my tuning? I feel like the saw should be faster than this but I dont want to burn it up either. Maybe it is the stock chain.
I honestly was underwhelmed by the PM700 too the other day. I blamed that on an overly aggressive chain but now I'm wondering if I've lost my ear for tuning lol.
My Husqvarna 350 with 346xp top end would spank both of them in 20inch wood I'm pretty sure.
Now on the other hand, I have a 10-10 that just straight rips, I just dont know. Anyway, too late now to fiddle with things, will have to wait for another day.

I don't really hear it cleaning up in the cut?
I'm pretty sure that my 700 cut 24" wood faster with a 24" bar and full comp than that.
How far down are those rakers? Can you post a pick of the tooth?
I know I've gone too far on a .404 to bog down my 1050 homelite and an 088.

I don't really hear it cleaning up in the cut?
I'm pretty sure that my 700 cut 24" wood faster with a 24" bar and full comp than that.
How far down are those rakers? Can you post a pick of the tooth?
I know I've gone too far on a .404 to bog down my 1050 homelite and an 088.
It is stock chain off the roll, 3/8 .050 full chisel. It is Stens silver streak chain (chinese) made by tri link. It has worked well on other saws, most recently, my newly acquired 6-10 got a 20 inch loop of it and it seems just fine on that saw.

It is stock chain off the roll, 3/8 .050 full chisel. It is Stens silver streak chain (chinese) made by tri link. It has worked well on other saws, most recently, my newly acquired 6-10 got a 20 inch loop of it and it seems just fine on that saw.

Ok I thought you might have taken the rakers down on it.
My guess is too try cutting the tune in. Could be alittle fat up top ,but as long as it four stroking out your good.
Yeah one turn usually does it but if that needles been seated a hundred times in its life or twice REALLY hard the inlet hole is bigger than factory specs. Thats why I'd go with my ear in and out of the cut.

Good to see you, Jethro. Hope all is well down your way.

Cheers Poge. Yeah going good down here were allmost all back to work now. Seems like we've beaten it so far but time will tell. Hope your ok in your corner.

Thanks Jethro, I have a miss firing photo graphic memory , I remember most of what I see just some detail is usually left out or backwards.
You working on anything?

Hey I thought you did well that was yonks ago.

Umm not really well I'm working on a surprise for Vinny but he will have to wait and see what shows up in the mail box:) it fits a mac though.

Will have a go at a adding a stainless sheet box to the back end of a long clutch cover to create a shorty braked cover after I finish this project. Also going to make up a less restrictive muffler outlet for the 850. Trying to get the most out of it. Otherwise not alot really saw wise.

It sounds pretty good to me. There not exactly fast saws I think my 10-10S will spank all my Mac's in 18 inch wood about even at 20 put in 30 inch wood and see what happens though thats where the 81 will shine.

My 850 is not really impressive speed wise until it's in big wood.

Joey runs bigger sprockets on the 82cc saws in smaller wood perhaps that's the secret for speed with the bigger cc Mac's.

Maint sup experiments with sprockets too

The same clutch is used on all of the LH start 10 Series and the 600 Series saws so there are lots of part available. I have never seen one that was prone to slipping, but I have seen a saw or two with the wrong clutch drum the was just a bit too large in the I.D. I think there were a lot of similar clutches from different saw manufacturers and some were just a little off from the others.

Mark

It was my hard hat n was using it at work the draughtsman saw it and yeah he had a pm10-10 in his mother in laws shed that he was sorting after hubby died. Was headed for the dump too.

Never thought of asking a clean clothed soft hand desk guy about saws but there ya go.
I'm a clean clothed soft hand draughtsman desk guy who plays with chainsaws. :p

I'd say your ear for tuning is still good Kevin,it sounded good in the cut.What are you running on it for chain?

Just pulled the trigger on a new OEM clutch for the 650-$29.99 on Ebay. Tomorrow I'll swap the 610 clutch onto it just so that I can get cutting with it again in the meantime-not going to do anymore slabbing though. I think its just too much for the saw.
I wonder if your clutch drum is worn? I believe there is a recommended replacement schedule for them. Let us know if the new clutch solves your problems. I have a similar issue with my 610.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

I'd say your ear for tuning is still good Kevin,it sounded good in the cut.What are you running on it for chain?
Its stock, off the roll, 3/8 full chisel. Maybe I need to give the rakers a little rub.

Todd - if you would care to divulge your secrets I would like to know what you used for the diaphragm material and the adhesive to attach the arm for the metering lever. I bought some Buna N material from McMaster Carr but it is too thick to be useful as a diaphragm. I also bought some LocTite 380 which is supposed to be good for use as adhesive on rubber and retains 70% of its strength when immersed in fuel. I also have on hand some Seal All which is also supposed to be fuel resistant but I can't remember if I ever really put it to the test.

Mark

Back