McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay! And yeah, the chip

Can't speak to the 125 specifically, but I've done a couple 10-10 and a 7-10 with an ignition module/chip. I got them from LRB off ebay, which appear to be "ROP Shop" chips, but pretty sure ultimately they're Nova/Megafire. Anyway, I can't say I've done any endurance tests with them, but I have yet to have an issue. They do seem to perk the saws up though, and they're easy enough to install. From what I've read, most people note that it's easier to start.

Pretty cheap - you could always test one out without making permanent changes to see if you like it, and easily reversable if you don't like it or if it ever fails. Try to keep it away from direct heat (e.g. don't mount it next to the cooling fins). I like them in on the mag side so the mag is constantly blowing air across them.

Aaron, yes ive used them succesfully on both cp125 and sp125. As stated, mount them so they stay cool. If the saw starts and just doesnt run right, the wires need switched on the chip. Also if it fires but wont start, try the same. Seems the polarity can be different for different engines. I got a cp125 that actually ran but just not good. I swapped the wires around and it ran just fine. On the sp125 it would not start but kinda backfire out the carb. Again switched around the terminals and it was and is fine. They wire up the same as any other saw. Nothing special about it on a 125.

Apologies in advance as this has probably already been discussed ad-nauseum... But what is the deal with this muffler on my SP40? It looks like it uses some kind of reed? I don't dare modify the muffler because of the fixed main jet in the carb, but what is the deal here? "Variable" back-pressure?
Nothing like this on my other McCullochs.

Attachments

• 20200728_093613_HDR.jpg
    20200728_093613_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200728_093622_HDR.jpg
    20200728_093622_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
You are correct about the noise suppression as opposed to performance.

MacAttack,you can tinker with the muffler,it has no effect on the fixed hi jet in the carb.A muffler does just what the name means - it muffles the sound of the exhaust.If you've ever run a saw without a muffler,or if a muffler fell off while running a saw you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

You are correct about the noise suppression as opposed to performance.

MacAttack,you can tinker with the muffler,it has no effect on the fixed hi jet in the carb.A muffler does just what the name means - it muffles the sound of the exhaust.If you've ever run a saw without a muffler,or if a muffler fell off while running a saw you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

In my experience with 2 strokes or engines in general, muffler (or intake) modifications then require rejetting the carb. I would have to think this would apply here as well?

Got it. I’ll give it a try guys! I was wanting to do it but some guy told me not to because they did it and it didn’t run very good. That must’ve been the issue. Thanks all

Has anyone had any luck converting SP125s to Electronic Ignition?
Put the Nova II chip on my 125C May 2014,it really made the difference. It can set 2-3 months unused,bit of fresh mix in the tank & it still pops on 1st pull,normally running good on 2nd after closing choke.I have to keep the decomp button pushed in though,damn thing has so much compression it'll snap my wrist,quite often will fire on 1/2 a pull. My only other saw with a Nova chip is my 1-80 gear drive,a previous owner installed it,bought the saw from Rich Dougan/Saw King Aug. 2014,its certainly no slouch.

Was pretty sure I took a couple pics of the install but havent found them yet,they gotta be in a folder someplace.

Latest posts

Back