McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maintenance supervisor

Maintenance supervisor

Every 100yrs, All new people...
. AS Supporting Member.
Ive been using the PM800 alot lately for blocking up some big oak ,so not alot of 700 work .
I've got 4 saws in various stages of restoration right now though (mostly off brand)and one is a McCulloch I got cheap. I'm gonna try and get it buttoned up in the next few weeks.
Its a secret weapon.

Woodslasher

Woodslasher

Make McCulloch Great Again!
. AS Supporting Member.
I decided to dig into my freebie 5-10 and try to make it a runner. Aside from a lot of dirt, everything looks good. It has a clean p/c, good compression, no broken/missing parts and it doesn't need anything other than a new clutch drum so it'll run 3/8. I thought it needed a new tank gasket, but I realized I was wrong after I ordered a new one, so I figure I may as well install it. Compared to the 3120 I'm also rebuilding currently, this seems tiny and dead-nuts simple to work on. My only complaint is this is a D176 mount and I only have one sprocket nose D176 bar (a 24 incher on my 10-10), but I have 5 or 6 D196 bars ranging from 24-36 inches that I'd rather run on this. Looks like I'll be making an adapter to run Husky bars (or the D196's) instead. Also, I'm thinking I'll rebuild my 1-43 with the bad top end and keep that and my 1-42 as my two "impractical" old saws. I've only got a dozen or so saws and only about half of them need work, pretty soon I won't have any more projects of my own.
IMG_5808.jpegIMG_5814.jpeg

Jethro 2t sniffer

Jethro 2t sniffer

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I run 2 , but have 3.
One with Mark's full wrap and one I'm trying a roller nose bar , skip ,square filed chisel, and an 8 pin.

What size bar? Had a skip square ground on the 81 and with a 7 pin it would hardly load the saw and really slow. Was pulling nice big long chips but really think it needed an 8.

A nice bloke I sold a 10-10 too sent it for a try.

Ive been using the PM800 alot lately for blocking up some big oak ,so not alot of 700 work .
I've got 4 saws in various stages of restoration right now though (mostly off brand)and one is a McCulloch I got cheap. I'm gonna try and get it buttoned up in the next few weeks.
Its a secret weapon.

Can't wait to see this weapon

PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
. AS Supporting Member.
I bought this "in-expensive" set from a Princes Auto store...
Thanks for the post, Mark. It's difficult to get a relative handle on the actual 'size' of the tool after looking at a gazillion of them online this afternoon. There seem to be two basic sizes of the smaller separators -- 2" (30mm to 50mm), and 3" (75mm to 105mm). Yours would appear similar in size to the one in this kit. Maybe even the same kit?

2broke2ride

2broke2ride

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wish I could even get to mine. Seems like the ones in front of me are always someone else's. LOL
I know that feeling lol. Since deciding a year ago to make a go at small engine repair as a part time business, I have much more disposable income to buy project.saws but much less time to actually work on them lol.
I currently need to rebuild the carb and recoil on my 7-10, rebuild the carb on my Super 250, and fix the oiler on one of the PM610s. Once that is done I have a 3-10E and a 450 waiting to be gone through/restored.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

vizette

vizette

I can fix that...
. AS Supporting Member.
Thanks for the post, Mark. It's difficult to get a relative handle on the actual 'size' of the tool after looking at a gazillion of them online this afternoon. There seem to be two basic sizes of the smaller separators -- 2" (30mm to 50mm), and 3" (75mm to 105mm). Yours would appear similar in size to the one in this kit. Maybe even the same kit?

There are a variety of kits with two different "cups" included for ~$40
https://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Bearing-Separator-Splitters-Bearings/dp/B07T49N6NY/
Or you could go with something like this, can adjust to whatever size you want, but of course you're stressing two specific points on the bearing when pulling
https://www.amazon.com/Shankly-Harmonic-Bearing-Puller-Pulley/dp/B071SFBRJK/

Woodslasher

Woodslasher

. AS Supporting Member.
Wish I could even get to mine. Seems like the ones in front of me are always someone else's. LOL
Funny, I’m working my way towards that. I’ve fixed a couple saws for buddies and recently had a friend who has a tree business say he’ll send me a few busted saws to rebuild for him. I could go grab them myself but I’m trying to get a few other life projects taken care of before I start focusing on other people’s stuff

Woodslasher

Woodslasher

. AS Supporting Member.
Slightly off-topic but are 10-series Macs becoming a “hot item” near any of you guys? A buddy who practically is a used saw dealer and sends all the yellow saws he gets my way said he’s had people asking him about 10-10’s because “Billy Bob Something-or-other uses them on Youtube” and I was wondering if that was happening near any of you.

Jethro 2t sniffer

Jethro 2t sniffer

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Slightly off-topic but are 10-series Macs becoming a “hot item” near any of you guys? A buddy who practically is a used saw dealer and sends all the yellow saws he gets my way said he’s had people asking him about 10-10’s because “Billy Bob Something-or-other uses them on Youtube” and I was wondering if that was happening near any of you.

Is down here for sure. Not crazy like the states but still crazy enough. The guy I got my latest 10s off is a older guy 72 he's not into youtube or the interwebs he has no idea of the craze going on and charges what a old obsolete saw should be worth.

My 81 sat on trade me twice for a week each time at 350nz. A running 24 inch bar 82cc mac. When my 850 was on it went up to 500 odd but only 3 of us after it and perhaps this time with the 81 they were broke or had 1 already

Latest posts