McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried it with the fuel cap lose?
Yes, I thought same thing. Same with fuel cap loose. I'm stumped. Not sure what is wrong. Maybe go back and look at pump diaphragm? If this was messed up though, it shouldn't run cold. I don't know, missing something here. It's just not that complicated a system.

Have you got another carb off a runner to chuck on it?
Puzzles me because the saw ran well after work last year. Pulled carb apart and everything appears clean and ok. Could I have reassembled something wrong to cause this? What puzzles me is the ability to run cold, but not once it warms up.
Have you got another carb off a runner to chuck on it

Puzzles me because the saw ran well after work last year. Pulled carb apart and everything appears clean and ok. Could I have reassembled something wrong to cause this? What puzzles me is the ability to run cold, but not once it warms up.
I would guess that the check valve should be replaced, there is a few posts about it in this thread.
A carburetor will "load up" the saw with fuel if its left idling, which is perpetrated by a rich mixture.
Will the saw hold itself up by the pull cord for a least a few seconds?

I would guess that the check valve should be replaced, there is a few posts about it in this thread.
A carburetor will "load up" the saw with fuel if its left idling, which is perpetrated by a rich mixture.
Will the saw hold itself up by the pull cord for a least a few seconds?
If I understand you, yes, when I pull start it it will idle a few seconds, but when I try to apply throttle, it dies. How do I find the check valve? I'll research here for check valve.

Perhaps there's enough spring left that I can curl the end and reuse it. 🤔
I'll just say that I had to rebend the opposite of yours recently on a super250 several pages back. I'll add my experience...When I heated it up red hot, bent, the quenched...it became brittle. The third time I heated it up just enough to bend the hook quenched and it has been holding. I'm no metallurgist and have never been called a welder but I stick metal together when I need to.

Put a new ignition coil module on it last year. Could a spark plug do this? Plug looks ok, no cracks, clean, not worn looking.
Plugs absolutely can look great but be bad. Had one that was broke internally and the inner conductor would move constantly changing the gap. Took a while to sort that one out!!!

I think he means literally hanging the saw from the pull cord when it's off to see what the compression is like.
Yes, compression is good. Hanging by cord I don't think it would descend. Going to pull the two welch plugs and see what gives. I just don't remember pulling them when I rebuilt the carb.

Double check the order of the diaphragms/gaskets before diving into the check valve can o' worms. I'd still try another coil just to eliminate it as the cause of the problem -- especially a heat related one..., if the problem is indeed heat related. Definitely replace the plug just because.

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Humid day in North East Tennessee Saturday. Ground is saturated with standing water in places. Earlier in the week, I repaired the dozer, but with the many inches of rain the ground was too soggy to attempt Plan B - the dozer assisted truck run up the hill.

Against medical advice, Brian met me at the range. He said he would limit his bucking to his 1010 but I caught a glimpse of him with his 800 in his hand. They are hard to put down. We bucked and loaded dead ash in a field to make a truck load of logs. I ran a tank through my 700 and couldn't help but think if I had met Brian earlier, I probably wouldn't own any 82cc MACs as my 700 runs better it seems after he worked on it than it ever has. It's vibrations and prior poor performance with a 28" bar falling larger than bar length red oaks is why I bought my first 82cc MAC - a PM8200 now owned by Mark H. No regrets stepping up 12 more ccs, however.

Shortly after noon, we had the deuce loaded so we slowly made our way to the woodlot on city streets sans the left mirror which was a casualty to last week's assault on the hill. We were fortunate to see several pickups of the woodlot regulars at a downtown church, so we wheeled in just in time to have a turkey and dressing lunch.

On a much more serious note, upon arriving home Saturday, I learned from my wife that a local young (early 40's I believe) man I know was critically injured Saturday while cutting a fallen tree out of a road. I am told the tree was hung in another and he was hit in the chest and thrown 15 feet. Lost his spleen and part of his intestines, broke his ribs, collapsed his lungs and damaged his pancreas. He has endured multiple surgeries over the weekend. I was told they were able to take him off the ventilator today. Prayers for him and his family would be appreciated.

As always, Be Safe,

Ron

PS Sorry, no pictures.

Pivital moment in the PM60 project. Painting is soon coming to an end wich means reassembly will start soon, however i thought i could start today. But yet again for a second time i got the wrong crank seal. So im waiting on parts again, but i wanted to upload this dreamy picture of a freshly painted air cover with new stickers. I can't WAIT til its done!

Attachments

• IMG_20220228_184931.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 2
Pivital moment in the PM60 project. Painting is soon coming to an end wich means reassembly will start soon, however i thought i could start today. But yet again for a second time i got the wrong crank seal. So im waiting on parts again, but i wanted to upload this dreamy picture of a freshly painted air cover with new stickers. I can't WAIT til its done!
Sweet!!!

Latest posts

Back