McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may take it to a sandblaster and see what that does.
You may have better luck with less aggressive media. This was salvaged with some type of glass bead media. Got rid of massive amounts of corrosion and down to clean magnesium. Guy said it's more like air brushing than abrasion, but could also still carve right through softer metals if necessary. Lots of fine control of the media flow. Rinse down with acetone and patch or paint or both. Supposedly also great for removing hard powder coatings without damage to underlying surfaces. This particular job turned out great. Some judiciously applied JB and this saw is still in operation today.

Very nice job on that G, btw. Well done as usual.

0510161105a_resized.jpg

0510161105_resized.jpg

Marvin - Those bars were designed to work with either the large frame saws like the 1-7X, 200 etc. 7XX/8XX, and SP125 as well as the 10 Series with the use of the adapters, in this case the springs to take the bar studs up to 3/8" diameter.

DSC03695.JPG

IMAG0429.jpg

There were also these "S" type adapters to allow the 3/8" bar slots to be used on 10 Series saws with 5/16" or 8mm bar studs.

IMAG0426.jpg

Mark

Dies for die cut gasket’s are so expensive it’s very hard to believe that someone on eBay would be selling diecut unless OEM or made in China. I was tool and die for 42 years. You would have to cut one hell of alot of gaskets and sell them to recoup the cost. Not only the dies but the press to put them in. Not arguing just saying. Here’s one of my Pro Mac 10-10 gaskets
Very nice looking gasket.
I agree on the cost of the die and press not being cost effected.
Another one of my hobbies is leather working. I could use the press for both hobbies.
But, I don't make and sell nothing. I keep them hobbies.
So to be a true hobbyist, I cut my own by hand.
I have all the round punches up to 1 1/2" which really helps. I may get one more. 1 5/8" or 1 3/4"
If it was a side business I would think differently.
Clint

We had a Saturday wood cutting with my buddies 17 year old grandson getting his first Mac experience, an 850 with 32" bar.. It was supposed to be the top of a 40" ash tree that blew off its top in last year's ice storm. Sadly it was ony 30". Still the kid got to run it, a ported 346, ported 372, 200t, and a 5400 Poulan. He liked the Mac best.
20220326_161619.jpg

We had a Saturday wood cutting with my buddies 17 year old grandson getting his first Mac experience, an 850 with 32" bar.. It was supposed to be the top of a 40" ash tree that blew off its top in last year's ice storm. Sadly it was ony 30". Still the kid got to run it, a ported 346, ported 372, 200t, and a 5400 Poulan. He liked the Mac best.
That's wonderful.
You just may have started a uncontrollable passion for Mac's.
I just ran my first 82cc Mac a few days ago. I'm hooked.

That's wonderful.
You just may have started a uncontrollable passion for Mac's.
I just ran my first 82cc Mac a few days ago. I'm hooked.
That was me Clint the first time I laid my 850 with just a 20” bar into some wood. It came with a 16” which just looked weird. It wound up with a 32”.
I remember stopping after that first cut and thinking -oh my!!!!!

I received an original Mac 28" bar and chain from N.C today.
Is there a miracle potion to remove all the pine tar?
I've spent more time trying to get the tar off the outside and cleaning the grove (The grove is good now.) than I did sharping and setting the drags on the chain.
I scraped off the tar first with a sharpened puddy knife first.
I've tried Acetone, Denatured Alcohol, PB plaster, Kroil Oil, etc. with Scotch Brite
The bar seems to have set idle for a long time. So maybe I can't get it all.
Thanks anyone.

That was me Clint the first time I laid my 850 with just a 20” bar into some wood. It came with a 16” which just looked weird. It wound up with a 32”.
I remember stopping after that first cut and thinking -oh my!!!!!
I did the same after the first cut Bob, even though it was cutting a curve. The righthand teeth were lots longer (60 file strokes longer) than the left on the 20 inch bar.
Then when I got the chain right (except the drags were still way too short) I made the first cut and stepped back and said WOW.
I just got a 28 inch bar and chain for it today. I'll stick that in Oak tomorrow.

I've spent more time trying to get the tar off the outside and cleaning the grove (The grove is good now.) than I did sharping and setting the drags on the chain.
I've tried Acetone, Denatured Alcohol, PB plaster, Kroil Oil, etc. with Scotch Brite
Thanks anyone.
Warm it with a heat gun the pick a sacrificial scotch brite pad for it transfer too. ???

Thanks anyone.

Gojo and non-cloreanated brake cleaner = green can

Marvin - Those bars were designed to work with either the large frame saws like the 1-7X, 200 etc. 7XX/8XX, and SP125 as well as the 10 Series with the use of the adapters, in this case the springs to take the bar studs up to 3/8" diameter.

View attachment 976902

View attachment 976904

There were also these "S" type adapters to allow the 3/8" bar slots to be used on 10 Series saws with 5/16" or 8mm bar studs.

View attachment 976903

Mark
Mark,
Does someone make (commercially) some sort of adaptor plate to convert the 3/8 bars to 5/16? I was searching for this a few years back and it got lost in the shuffle of life lol. I just don't care for the springs, or having to "make something that will work" every time I do a bar swap or conversion. Thanks.

A good friend has acquired a mini Mac from a deceased family member. It needs a starter recoil assembly. Any suggestions on a good place to source parts?

Thank you.

A good friend has acquired a mini Mac from a deceased family member. It needs a starter recoil assembly. Any suggestions on a good place to source parts?

Thank you.
I have some small macs I’ve been robbing parts off of for fellas on here. Not sure if I have what you need but if I do I’ll get it coming your way. Any chance you have a pic for matching purposes?

Latest posts

Back