McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an update on the PM850 that I bought recently.I pulled the saw down to the short block yesterday for a thorough cleaning & to have a look at the P&C.This was probably the filthiest saw I've ever had to clean,or at the least a tie.The good news is that the P&C are in great shape - no scoring.The bad news is the tank handle is completely beyond being used due to the massive corrosion & pitting.It needs some parts like the intake boot,pulse line,possible front & rear AV mounts,rear handle brace grommet,air filter,fuel line & filter,& other smaller incidental parts.
I contacted the seller before I even tore the saw down & told him about the corroded tank handle & a few other things.He told me he put fuel in the saw & it fired right up (the saw had no fuel filter in it,when I pulled the cover off the carb it was full of rust from sucking the dirty unfiltered fuel).He told me that I was "knit-picking".Needless to say,I'll never buy another saw from him again.I've contacted Mark H.to see what he has for the parts I need.I've found most everything on Feebay,but they're at inflated prices (IMO).
Sorry you are having issues,

Here's a pic of the fuel tank on my 850.The entire tank is like that as far as I can feel;.Now,does anyone here feel I had a legitimate gripe,or would you side with the seller & say I'm "knit-picking"?This was after I soaked it in vinegar for 24 hrs.& then put a bunch of nuts in it & shook it around for about 5 min.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1
180 190 some 200ish
Thank you Jethro! When I told the seller that 150 psi wasn't excellent like he said.I said 150 psi was good.He asked me what I thought excellent should be & I told him 175 psi.He said I wouldn't be able to pull it over with compression like that especially on the downstroke.I asked him if he knew the saw had a DSP..He said even with a DSP I wouldn't be able to pull it over.What a schmuck,Lol.

180 190 some 200ish
When I bought my very clean 850 June 2015 Seller said it had 176PSI cold.. he got it from original owner.When I opened the shipping box upon arrival a few days later I did the ''hang by the rope" test. It stayed put for several seconds then very slowly dropped to the ground.17.5 lb powerhead only.I checked with my cheap compression tester & it read 175,so I definitely was pleased,though I'd dealt with same Seller several times since 2014 & was happy with every transaction.
Even with semi-moderate use since then I'm guessing its still at 170,she's a strong one for sure.

When I bought my very clean 850 June 2015 Seller said it had 176PSI cold.. he got it from original owner.When I opened the shipping box upon arrival a few days later I did the ''hang by the rope" test. It stayed put for several seconds then very slowly dropped to the ground.17.5 lb powerhead only.I checked with my cheap compression tester & it read 175,so I definitely was pleased,though I'd dealt with same Seller several times since 2014 & was happy with every transaction.
Even with semi-moderate use since then I'm guessing its still at 170,she's a strong one for sure.
about 170 is the best I ever get. even with US chrome re worked jugs. 150 plus I consider real good. I rebuild at 125ish. below 140 they aren't cutting super anymore from my experience.

Max

Supposedly mine is at 150 psi now.It may come up a tad as it's been sitting for a while.It could;ve had a dry cylinder when the test was done.
I rebuilt the carb today & here's a pic of the inlet screen after the dumb ass ran fuel in the corroded tank with no filter.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
Okay Mac guys, educate me. A neighbor has had this bar hanging on his wall for along time and has no idea what it fits, my question is will it work on my 125? the slot is 3/8 but it's the profile that matters to me. If it'll fit we may end up splicing a sprocket nose on it, but if it doesn't fit I'll have to settle for the n.o.s. 36" General hard nose bar he has as well.
IMG_1211.JPG

Back