McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They changed around the time they introduced the PM models with the long clutch covers. The PM55 with the short cover was like the earlier SP models in the lighter yellow, the PM850, PM700, PM800, etc. were the darker/more orange yellow color. Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow is a pretty good match for the later PM models. I have used different John Deere or Industrial Safety yellow to match the older saws. Sometime you have to apply a few light coats of a couple different shades to achieve the exact color you are after.

It is pretty hard to accurately judge a color from a photo...

Mark

Would anyone happen to have any side straps or tie straps for the old J type McCulloch chain? This is the 13/16" pitch stuff that came on the old two man saws. I've got a loop with a bad strap that I would rather replace than do a fix to. I'll be showing it at one of our local fairs here soon and while it's not completely necessary i'd still like to fix it if I can.

I have an eager beaver model of the 300 series. Yes they exist. Its in fantastic condition and was given to me this year along with a carry case. Carb needs rebuilt but it will start and run and idle but then gets a bit wonky.
I have a PM310 that came in a box of parts. The issue I had was the plastic casing of the throttle cable was broken in three places. Managed to find a weed eater cable of comparable diameters. Since then, its made a great swamping (brush) saw.

Ed - the MM spring is 1/8 x 1-5/16, I don't think you will be able to force it into a 3/32" line. The 67944 springs for the fuel line/impulse line are 3/32" O.D. on the smaller end. I have a few for $5.95 + shipping.

Ben - those are 300 Series saws, probably PM310 or PM320. The engines are quite good, working in the air box to connect the fuel line, impulse line, and throttle wire can be challenging. They utilize an impulse operated automatic oil pump like most true McCulloch saws and the pumps can wear a bit and leak some bar oil into the crankcase. Generally the smoke clears up after a few minutes of operation.

Max - I just put together and Excel spread sheet with PN, description, "where used" if I could, price, and quantity along with a location. One day I will have to get someone more familiar with Excel to help me refine some of the details, if I search for a 10-24x1 fastener everything from 1/4 to 1-15/16 pops up and you may have to scroll through 8-10 fasteners to find the one you are looking for. I have to be very careful and use the same kind of descriptions for similar parts to make my search function effective; gasket, exhaust vs gasket - exhaust for example. I tried to use the McCulloch descriptions as much as possible but of course in typical McCulloch fashion even those conventions changed over the years.

Regarding OCD...I spent almost 2 hours one morning last week going through all of the 10-24x1/2 fasteners trying to get them all sorted into some kind of logical arrangement, Pan head, round head, flat head, oval head, hex head, hex head slotted, hex flange head, hex flange head serrated, socket head, button head/Torx....

Mark
The wife could refine that excel spreadsheet in her sleep Mark. Maybe we can do so trading... Also she walked out fo he office at 3pm today and proclaimed "inventory problem solved, I found the perfect program for you" I will keep you posed lol

Max

Would anyone happen to have any side straps or tie straps for the old J type McCulloch chain? This is the 13/16" pitch stuff that came on the old two man saws. I've got a loop with a bad strap that I would rather replace than do a fix to. I'll be showing it at one of our local fairs here soon and while it's not completely necessary i'd still like to fix it if I can.

Lets see a photo of that chain, I may be able to help.

Mark

Nicely done Frank, did you save the program so you can turn out some more on demand?

Mark
ha ha. I wish I had a CNC mill and the knowledge to use one. no program. just a manual milling machine. never saw a mill or a lathe until I retired. just had an urge to learn and I'm just a self-taught novice. thanks, youtube.
PXL_20220912_213030575.jpg

Latest posts

Back