McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 1143083View attachment 1143084
Quick question regarding the OEM mac bars - this I believe is a 20" bar came stock on a pm 610 I just picked up. Need a chain for it, but there are no markings on the bar

Is anyone familiar with the gauge and link count on the chain for this bar?

If not, could anyone here recommend a suitable bar and chain for the saw? 20" or up preferred.

Thanks all!
Mark one of the nose sprocket spurs with a white mark then count how many there are.

You can see the nose sprocket in the photos, certainly looks like 3/8 to me. Since it came on a 610 it would be entirely out of character for the bar/sprocket(s) to be .325. I have every confidence that the chain should be 70 DL with a 3/8-7T sprocket on the clutch.

Mark

99% sure that the later 20" McCulloch Bars are .375 pitch .050 gauge Not sure on DL now. Corrected Pitch.
You are correct in that the bar & chain are 3/8 pitch (.375) & .050 gauge.The DL count is either 70 or 72.If there's a reputable saw shop that's been around for a while they'll know the minute you walk in the door with the saw what chain it'll take.The newer saw shops don't have a clue.
Edit:looks like Mark beat me at typing,Lol.

I believe they are 3/8 x .050 x 70 DL

I can confirm, my McCulloch PM10 runs 3/8 .050 70 DL.

Speaking of which, I will give that saw for free to a good home as I know I'm unlikely to ever use it again. I cut about 10 cords a year for a decade or so with it, but when the wife brought me a Stihl MS361 as a surprise gift I never touched the 610 again. But I see that saw still has some fans so I'd rather pass it on that dump it in the metal recycling bin at the local landfill which is plan B.

Just recently I built a Holzfforma MS460 clone and have been very impressed with it, so don't need the 610 as a theoretical spare.

It "ran when parked" but no warranty, and I won't ship so you have to pick up. A bar, several chains, and some spare parts. I'm a bit south of Frederick Maryland.

-Steve M.

I can confirm, my McCulloch PM10 runs 3/8 .050 70 DL.

Speaking of which, I will give that saw for free to a good home as I know I'm unlikely to ever use it again. I cut about 10 cords a year for a decade or so with it, but when the wife brought me a Stihl MS361 as a surprise gift I never touched the 610 again. But I see that saw still has some fans so I'd rather pass it on that dump it in the metal recycling bin at the local landfill which is plan B.

Just recently I built a Holzfforma MS460 clone and have been very impressed with it, so don't need the 610 as a theoretical spare.

It "ran when parked" but no warranty, and I won't ship so you have to pick up. A bar, several chains, and some spare parts. I'm a bit south of Frederick Maryland.

-Steve M.
Thanks alot! A few others here pitched in and it is indeed a 70dl chain.

I'd be all over that saw if I were located anywhere near you brother

I finally got the SP40 put back together yesterday,what a PITA to get the tanks to pop in place! I have no idea if the oil line plugged into the oil tank,I guess I'll find out when I put oil in it.
I'd try firing it up,but I don't exactly feel like spending much time out in a mini-blizzard.

Hello Mac people! I’m looking for some advice on known HL carburetors that can easily replace the flat back for a 795. I tried searching this forum but could not really find what I was looking for. Would the smaller cc 250 or 1-72 Tillotson work or is the bore on the 795 flat back larger on the 100cc saws?

Any advice or suggestions are very much appreciated!

Why dont you tell us whats wrong with it and we will HELP YOU fix it and learn as you do?
sorry have had some major things come up and just getting back to everyone here. The saw was used this past fall and has been nothing but great ever since my Father bought it in the late 60's. I stopped cutting one day, shut it off and then remembered I needed one more cut. I started it up and it immediately went to full trotle and shocked my had but good while holding it. Immediately shut it off and let it sat on the ground and said to myself out loud what the heck !!!! I figured I would let it sit for about 10 minutes and try again. . I started it up again with the same thing happening getting a good shock and full throttle. Have not looked at it since because I was not sure of my ability not being a saw mechanic. I took it to the guy who always worked on and was a dealer for Mac and he said get it out of here I don't workk on those things anymore. Older guy who wouldn't even talk and tell me what to look for. So if anyone here can help I would appreciate it.

Why dont you tell us whats wrong with it and we will HELP YOU fix it and learn as you do?
sorry have had some major things come up and just getting back to everyone here. The saw was used this past fall and has been nothing but great ever since my Father bought it in the late 60's. I stopped cutting one day, shut it off and then remembered I needed one more cut. I started it up and it immediately went to full trotle and shocked my had but good while holding it. Immediately shut it off and let it sat on the ground and said to myself out loud what the heck !!!! I figured I would let it sit for about 10 minutes and try again. . I started it up again with the same thing happening getting a good shock and full throttle. Have not looked at it since because I was not sure of my ability not being a saw mechanic. I took it to the guy who always worked on and was a dealer for Mac and he said get it out of here I don't workk on those things anymore. Older guy who wouldn't even talk and tell me what to look for. So if anyone here can help I would appreciate it.

Take the filter cover off and look at the throttle linkage, ensure it is still connected to carb linkage. Might have come off the trigger and stuck full throttle. The throttle butterfly is usually spring loaded closed, so must be something sticking.

As for the shock, these are metal saws so I guess the spark could jump from the high voltage to the handle and have shocking results.

Throttle linkage first. Look down the throat of the carburetor to see if the throttle plate is closed.

Report back when you've checked the more obvious suggestions replied to your original post.

Very likely it is a simple problem that will reveal itself with a little bit of investigation.

Mark

Hello Mac people! I’m looking for some advice on known HL carburetors that can easily replace the flat back for a 795. I tried searching this forum but could not really find what I was looking for. Would the smaller cc 250 or 1-72 Tillotson work or is the bore on the 795 flat back larger on the 100cc saws?

Any advice or suggestions are very much appreciated!
Try bellhopper on youtube

Latest posts

Back